Vanderbilt Scouting Report

Axe

Flats Noob
Former Furman Coach Bobby Johnson begins his first stint as a Div. I-A Head Coach with a big challenge. Vanderbilt is a small private school competing in one of the nation's toughest sub-conferences. Vandy's last winning season was in 1982 and most Vandy fans don't expect to see one this year. The hope is Vandy can squeeze out 4 wins but that will be a pretty tough task. In order to reach that goal the 'Dores will have to sweep MTSU, Furman, UConn, and pull off a big upset. Yes, a win over Kentucky would be an upset.

Vandy seemed to have no trouble scoring points last year. Vandy put up at least 21 points 6 times and had their moments against some good defenses. They were an eye lash away from pulling out wins against Alabama, Auburn, and Ole Miss. The passing tandem of Greg Zolman and Dan Stricker was ultra successful last season and kept them in games, but the horrid defense was too much to overcome. As we head into 2002, Vandy must replace QB Zolman, and their top 2 tailbacks. Somebody better step up big time or it's going to be a another very long year for Vandy.

Offense: 7 Starters Returning
Quarterback(No Starters Returning): Vandy must replace one of the most productive QBs in school history. However, some Vandy fans feel this could be a positive. I've seen talk that Vandy feels that Zolman was less than a team player and was a poor leader. Still, Vandy fans cannot deny that Zolman put up big numbers and he will be tough to replace. Junior Benji Walker looks to be the favorite. Walker threw 6 passes last season for 48 yards. Redshirt freshman Jay Cutler has a shot as well. Both have strong arms and are athletic but Cutler probably has better running ability. This could be a big factor as Johnson is likely to use a lot of option.

Running Back(No Starters Returning): Last season speedy Rodney Williams and Lew Thomas combined for over 1200 yards rushing. Thomas was especially productive averaging 6.4 yards per carry. Both are lost to graduation and Vandy has huge question marks at the tailback position. Norval Mckenzie and Ron Hatcher are the leading candidates here. They combined for 85 yards last season, so this is a major concern. A true freshman might get a shot at TB. Fullback looks to be up in the air as well. Vandy experimented with a lot of guys there in the spring, but no real answers have been found. Johnson would like to have a balanced ground attack so a RB will have to step up.

Wide Receiver/Tight End(3 Starters Returning):This is Vandy's strongest position. Dan Stricker is 6'3 and an All-SEC type player. Last season he caught 65 balls for 1,079 yards and 8 scores. The other starter M.J. Garrettalso 6'3 was solid with 27 catches for 455 yards and 4 touchdowns. Tight End Tom Simone is a good blocker and steady receiver. Depth is not a problem. Youngsters Chris Young, and Brandon Smith should only get better and have just begun to scratch the surface of their potential. Young was heavily recruited out of Miss a few years ago. Johnson will try to get the ball to these guys in a number of different ways.

Offensive Line(4 Starters Returning: Vandy returns a pretty good starting unit. G Jim May and C Jamie Byrum are top notch. I lived in the Parkview area a few years ago while May and Jon Stinchcomb were playing. It always surprises me how much a name can carry a guy. Stinchcomb was a fine player, but I always thought that May was just as productive. A highly underrated player. He should have a real good season. Depth is a major concern but you'd have to figure Vandy will be healthy for the first game and this unit will be solid against GT.

Defense: 7 Starters Returning
Defensive Line(2 Starters Returning):Vandy will switch to a 4-3 defense which will put a lot of pressure on this group. That's not a good thing because this might be Vandy's weakest unit. DT Robert Dinwiddlehurt his knee in the spring and will likely miss the GT game. Depth is a major concern and I don't see too many playmakers. Returning Starters Chuck Losey and Brett Beard were just steady. Redshirt Freshman Jovan Haye had a nice spring. This is not a pretty picture right now.

Linebacker(2 Starters Returning): Vandy returns 2 starters but will have two new starters. Brandon Walthour returned from off the field troubles to gain a starting spot in the spring, while redshirt freshman Moses Osemwegie earned a starting spot at Will LB. Hunter Hillenmeyer returns to take over at MLB. This unit should be improved and more athletic in '02.

Secondary(3 Starters Returning):Vandy has had a tradition of outstanding secondary talent over the last few years and it looks like they will continue that tradition next season. CBRushen Jonesis an all-confernce shut down type. Aaron McWhorter returns at the other corner while steady Justin Giboney returns at FS. Strong Safety Jonathan Staub started a few years ago and Vandy hopes he will return to his previous form. Vandy will likely try and use Jones and this veteran secondary to keep opposing QBs guessing. They will have to because the d-line will struggle to bring heat.

Special Teams(No Starters Returning):Vandy will likely try and turn to freshman to take over both the kicking and punting roles so this position is way up in the air. Vandy got some good news when walk-on kicker Chuck Folino who scored 25 points last year decided to return this summer, although he is not a lock to win the job. RB Hatcher returns as punt returner. Vandy has some good skill athletes so return men shouldn't be a problem. Although, the lack of depth could hurt the overall special teams units.

Vandy Offense vs. GT Defense: My guess is that Bobby Johnson will try and turn Vandy's offense into one simmilar to Jim Grobe's at Wake Forest. Pro Style passing sets that use a lot of misdirection and option. The offensive front is a veteran group and Vandy will likely try and control us up front and run directly at our LBs. Vandy's team strength is it's WRs but the key is will their young QBs get them the ball. My guess is Vandy will struggle to get the ground game going against GT. Their young QBs will see a lot of heat from the LB spot so they could struggle getting the ball to Stricker. I think it will be a mistake for Vandy to try and establish the run against GT. They are better off going with 3 wides and using quick passes to attack our smallish corners with their big WRs. They won't do it till late and for this reason I think Vandy will struggle to put points on the board, although they will move the ball.

Vandy Defense vs. GT Offense:Vandy does not have a I-A type defensive front. Their best hope is to use a confusing attacking style of defense and rely on their athletic secondary to make plays. Vandy has more speed in the LB corps this year. They will use their backers to try and create a rush and load up against the run. I think GT will use a lot of 3 and 4 wide sets to spread them out and force them to rely on their D-line to create pressure. GT will have to bring a sound offensive game plan to the table. If the Jackets rely on their passing game to overwhelm Vandy, it's not going to happen. Vandy's secondary could make some plays if GT does not stay balanced.

Final Predicition: GT is deeper, more experienced, and faster than Vanderbilt. If GT comes focused and ready to play with emotion they should win by 21+. My guess is that GT will likely be emotional for the game, but not highly focused. Offensively, I sense our guys might think that things will come easy against this Vandy defense. That should be the case if they come out and do the little things, establish the run and keep the chains moving, but they shouldn't expect to run by them in the passing game. That will not happen, GT must make plays. Defensively, Vandy should move the ball around a lot, but they will probably break down in key spots. Our LBs are going to create a lot of confusion for their youngs QBs and I doubt they will sustain drives. Points will likely come on big plays or off turnovers.

Georgia Tech 37, Vanderbilt 13

This is a fine analysis. Our pathetic beat writer at The Tennessean couldn't write a comparable document.

Back