Virginia out with Covid - We advance to title game

ee8384

Cynic At-Large
Both were awesome.

The first round 1993 upset of our loaded hoops team to “Southern University” was devastating. We were really really good that year.

Don’t ever discount championships. We are one win away.
Thanks. I was at that game and keep trying to forget it.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
A title is a title.
Generally I agree -- injuries, bad weather, etc., don't dampen titles/wins at all to me. But winning a game against the #1 seed without even taking the floor feels different. Obviously I still want to win, and it will still mean something, but it will mean less to me than if we had actually beaten UVA in a game.

Given the choice between playing UVA versus winning by forfeit, I'd choose playing the game seven days a week and twice on Sunday, even though the forfeit win is the much clearer path to the title.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Skipping the title game is ridiculous. We could skip the game and still come down with Covid. Then it is a lose-lose.

I imagine Gonzaga must be paranoid at this point since they potentially have the most to lose from a positive test.

ClubSeats

Employee of the Month
Obviously I still want to win, and it will still mean something, but it will mean less to me than if we had actually beaten UVA in a game.
Aren’t you the one yesterday who said it was the first game you had watched all season? Not sure I believe that would’ve meant that much to you either way.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Aren’t you the one yesterday who said it was the first game you had watched all season? Not sure I believe that would’ve meant that much to you either way.
Fair point :). It matters at least enough for me to spend time posting about it during the workday.

madRazor

Damn Good Rat
öööö this pussy covid öööö.

Could you imagine if any player ever got even more than cold symptoms from this so-called plague? They'd cancel all college sports forever.

I find myself coming around to the whole "prison planet" theory. The true "clown show" is this world we find ourselves in now.

THWUGA

Dodd-Like
Anyone saying this is anything less than a real conference championship game can take their asterisk and shove it.

In 2020-21, dealing with COVID off the court is almost as critical to a program's success as what happens on the court. It's an added complication, not a factor that has made anyone's job easier. The programs who have survived it, played well, played together, have earned everything they get this year.

We got beaten like a drum when we added a makeup game, AT Louisville, less than 48 hours after playing a tough game against FSU.

COVID schedule craziness put five games on our schedule in an 11-day span in critical, February, in-conference play (though I think one ended up being cancelled/postponed).

Anyone making it through this intact, let alone having a successful season, deserves even more praise than normal. Any talk of an asterisk is ludicrous.

THWUGA

Dodd-Like
I just read some of these other posts in the interim pages... and wow, Stingtalk's conspiracy-theory-hoax-rightwing-batshit-craziness never disappoints. From a fanbase that insists Tech people are smart and scientific, lmao

öööö this pussy covid öööö.

Could you imagine if any player ever got even more than cold symptoms from this so-called plague? They'd cancel all college sports forever.

I find myself coming around to the whole "prison planet" theory. The true "clown show" is this world we find ourselves in now.
This is a tired debate but Covid is deadly for a lot of people and you don't want it to spread to them because of sports-related outbreaks. It isn't feasible for vulnerable people to perfectly isolate themselves and not enough of them are vaccinated yet. So it's not about the risk to the players themselves (though that is one of the justifications for these policies).

rocky top buzz

Varsity Lurker
I just read some of these other posts in the interim pages... and wow, Stingtalk's conspiracy-theory-hoax-rightwing-batshit-craziness never disappoints. From a fanbase that insists Tech people are smart and scientific, lmao
Ah classic red herring argument. No one but you said it was a hoax, but you say others called it a hoax and then criticize them for it. I think what people are saying is that 99% of healthy college athletes are at no risk of adverse long-term effects from covid. Yet it continues to be an excuse to take away opportunities from kids of all ages.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
Ah classic red herring argument. No one but you said it was a hoax, but you say others called it a hoax and then criticize them for it. I think what people are saying is that 99% of healthy college athletes are at no risk of adverse long-term effects from covid. Yet it continues to be an excuse to take away opportunities from kids of all ages.
What do you mean by excuse? Excuse for what?

swampsting

Dodd-Like
My worry is do we want a FSU team that is good and deep (just ask your mom) and probably the most talented team in the ACC...

or ...

a UNT squad that is starting to figure it out and will have a home crowd behind it?

F--- it, bring em both on.
That's what your mom said.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
My worry is do we want a FSU team that is good and deep (just ask your mom) and probably the most talented team in the ACC...

or ...

a UNT squad that is starting to figure it out and will have a home crowd behind it?

F--- it, bring em both on.
That's what your mom said.
We want both of em. At the same time.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
If we do have someone get Covid during the tourney, I hope we’re smart enough to not cancel until right before tip. Hopefully the other team gets it too and forfeits first, and we advance

georgia_tech_swagger

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I alone in preferring a shot at an ACC championship over an NCAA tourney appearance?
I'm in agreement. They can really win the ACCT. Two games in three days and the first team only had 6 available scholarship players. Winning the NCAAT is a much harder ask. Larranaga had the right attack plan: go after Moses and try to foul him out, get freebies from press and trap.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
I'm in agreement. They can really win the ACCT. Two games in three days and the first team only had 6 available scholarship players. Winning the NCAAT is a much harder ask. Larranaga had the right attack plan: go after Moses and try to foul him out, get freebies from press and trap.
It’s Larrañaga now. Bigot.

gtGreg768b

Elemenopee
Somebody definitely said it was a hoax right above his post.