Waiting on the ACC football decision...

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Per some recent articles, we might be getting some announcements about football from the ACC pretty soon.

Pat Forde (SI): https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/27/college-football-season-status-decisions-acc
Tony Barnhardt (SI): https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/footballs-future

Apparently the ACC's ADs met yesterday to finalize a proposal to the ACC presidents who are meeting today. But the presidents might kick it back to an already-scheduled AD meeting tomorrow. Or they might kick the decision out farther. And I'm sure that any decision they make now is subject to change at any point before or during the season. We're getting real close to fall practice starting, and one of those articles talks about players not wanting to go through fall camp and then not get to play, so it seems fair to expect a decision before we get too deep into practice.

I'm sure most of you got the recent e-mail from Tech soliciting more input on whether you would attend home games if they were played. The plan seems to be to set a reduced capacity and do a this-year-only online reseating of those who want to attend and are Above The Line in terms of A-T points, which could be fun (to sit in a different part of the stadium) if I make the cut. Tickets would be digital-only, but people who requested paper tickets will still receive physical tickets as a souvenir.

Sitting in the stands seems fairly low-risk if they space people out sufficiently (the back rows of the upper decks of the stadium are looking pretty good), but maintaining distance getting into the stadium, navigating the concourses, and at concessions and restrooms will be more of a challenge.

Hopefully there will be some actual news to put into this thread in the next few days.

JRjr

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
More recent articles say that the presidents probably aren't going to make a decision today, and that an announcement could happen later this week or as late as next week after an August 4th NCAA Board of Governors meeting.

I understand that it's a complex issue, but they're quickly getting to the point where they just need to make a decision and live with it. As much as I'd hate to lose a season of football, I'm just about to the point where I'd be satisfied with just cancelling it and going into cash conservation/fundraising mode rather than continuing to spend effort making ever-changing contingency plans that may never come to fruition.

JRjr

jacket67

Dodd-Like
It's probably encouraging that they haven't just canceled the season already. When decisions are made by committee, they usually end up with some tangled, ill-conceived strategy that attempts to make everyone happy. I'm pessimistic enough at this point that I would be content with anything resembling a football season.