WarnerRobinsDawg says "ACC & some fans are missing the point"

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
He then goes on to present some of the best 'pro' Va Tech & Miami arguements I've seen yet. He's absolutely right. VT will add some instant rivalries for the Northern part of the conference & could add rivalries for many of the other teams. Miami will certainly do the same for the Southern end of the league.
VT & Miami are just plain natural fits for the ACC. Here's WRDawg's arguement for VT & Miami"

VT & Miami are perfect for the ACC

I agree with that. VT and UM will offer some better rivalries than would BC and Syracuse. Sure they are both good schools, but they are just too far away for me (not saying that Miami is close, but...).

I had sooo much fun at the VT tailhook. It was a beautiful day, as we all know, until the sky opened up. The Syracuse game was fun too, but who would want to travel even further north than the meadowlands? I drive to away games from Atlanta, and any hour I can save is a blessing on my posterior.

Blacksburg is actually easier to get to from most NCar cities than Charlottesville or College Park. This should help fans get to these games & create good rivalries. More importantly, it will help VT fans get to NCar stadiums to help sell tickets for the NCar schools.
VT seems to travel well, much better than the NCar schools travel. I think VT is a very good thing that will create TV interest, even tho they're not in a TV market. As the treatsie says, the interest is not because of a TV market, but because of good quality games vs quality opponents.

WRDawg is essentially correct, I think. Right now Miami is an exception to his rule, and he's right, they can go down, and then they won't be. After a couple of 6-5 years they'll bring no more to the bowl table than WF.

The real exception to his rule is Notre Dame, who will draw TV numbers and bowl invites, no matter what. That's why it does not matter where they "belong", geographically, historically, all-sports wise, or in any other way, the ACC should go after them. I sincerely hope that ND is the reason we stopped at 11, to leave them a spot.

If we pull that off, the ACC presidents will change from Stooges to Einsteins in the twinkling of an eye.

Back