Watching old film

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
The thing that really stands out to me is that nesbitt and especially tevin were really good at attacking the pitch key and forcing the decision. Tevin was also much more consistent in his reads than anyone since. The midline is so important to establishing the line push early, we need to do more of that especially against the Clemsons of the world. The end of game situations are tough to watch, though. Lawnchair under pressure.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
The thing that really stands out to me is that nesbitt and especially tevin were really good at attacking the pitch key and forcing the decision. Tevin was also much more consistent in his reads than anyone since. The midline is so important to establishing the line push early, we need to do more of that especially against the Clemsons of the world. The end of game situations are tough to watch, though. Lawnchair under pressure.
I would think that this has changed a bit because defenses have changed how they defend. When we run the TO now, we have to beat the DE, the MLB, an OLB, and the CB. Rather than automatically take on the BB on the dive, the MLB is staying a step or two back, and reading. Then he is free to take on the BB on a dive or the QB on a keeper. If we pitch, that puts us with one blocker out on the edge against the OLB and Corner. If we keep, you have the QB mostly alone against the MLB scraping and the OLB at a minimum.

We desperately need to improve our passing game to even up the odds.

killerB

Sidewalk Fan
There's a guy on youtube that posts videos of all the offensive plays. Go set up all the 2014 games in row and only focus on Shaq Mason every play. What a delight. I'd make every OL guy do that once a week so show them how amazing our results could be.

If we can get one of the OL guys to be a reliable man to run behind our BBs are good enough to control games and force teams to stop it--opening up the rest of the offense. TM hits one extra pass per game and we're going to Charlotte.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
I would think that this has changed a bit because defenses have changed how they defend. When we run the TO now, we have to beat the DE, the MLB, an OLB, and the CB. Rather than automatically take on the BB on the dive, the MLB is staying a step or two back, and reading. Then he is free to take on the BB on a dive or the QB on a keeper. If we pitch, that puts us with one blocker out on the edge against the OLB and Corner. If we keep, you have the QB mostly alone against the MLB scraping and the OLB at a minimum.

That reading MLB should be the thing we're punishing in that scenario. We have OL going to the second level just for him, and if he's out of position at all, that should be an easy 4-5 yards at worst. In fact, we did see Benson getting just that a whole bunch last season.

But yes, passing effectively would make it hurt way worse.

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is why putting our QB's in don't touch me yellow jerseys will not teach them to attack and pitch at the last second like you have to, to make this offense work. We are f***ing up by not playing our QB's live in practice. They will not learn crap by pretending to run this offense. Major coaching error.

Go Jackets!

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I liked the fsu game 2009, with Allen and Dwyer at aback and Lyons as BB.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
This is why putting our QB's in don't touch me yellow jerseys will not teach them to attack and pitch at the last second like you have to, to make this offense work. We are f***ing up by not playing our QB's live in practice. They will not learn crap by pretending to run this offense. Major coaching error.

Go Jackets!
Respectfully disagree about not yellow shirting a Triple Option. QB.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden

Go Jackets!
I'm not sure if it's the yellow shirt or the size. JT covered up a lot of poor fundamentals with speed, passing, and having great talent around him. My takeaway, though, is that the offense ran more smoothly with the big guys (remember tevin actually weighed about the same a jn). I didn't mind it when we had a clear cut starter, but no way should that be the standard this spring from what I've seen.

I think the defenses adjusting strategies bit is overblown...They aren't doing anything we didn't see 2008-2012, we just aren't punishing them for it now. The talent gap is a bit more obvious and there do seem to be less instances of two defenders taking the QB (partly better players, partly better coaching, partly stringing plays out by our guy).

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Thank you for continuing true football discussion. It’s what really keeps us going when we don’t have any. Not constant bitching that doesn’t change a damn thing.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan

I agree however it helps to have good precise blocking in the second level. We haven’t had a dominant o line since 2014 though. Anyone else miss Shaq mason? His name doesn’t get tossed around here enough.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I'm not sure if it's the yellow shirt or the size. JT covered up a lot of poor fundamentals with speed, passing, and having great talent around him. My takeaway, though, is that the offense ran more smoothly with the big guys (remember tevin actually weighed about the same a jn). I didn't mind it when we had a clear cut starter, but no way should that be the standard this spring from what I've seen.

I think the defenses adjusting strategies bit is overblown...They aren't doing anything we didn't see 2008-2012, we just aren't punishing them for it now. The talent gap is a bit more obvious and there do seem to be less instances of two defenders taking the QB (partly better players, partly better coaching, partly stringing plays out by our guy).
Talent gap is true, and the acc is a lot tougher.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
I agree however it helps to have good precise blocking in the second level. We haven’t had a dominant o line since 2014 though. Anyone else miss Shaq mason? His name doesn’t get tossed around here enough.
Yeah, it was mentioned in an earlier response and that is something I overlooked but certainly a part. I was thinking more about how defenses are covering our backs but the inability to block the 2nd level is definitely a big contributor as well. Having an NFL caliber OL guy definitely makes a difference.

Killick

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
Mason may have been the once in a generation OL in this offense. Give us two OL anywhere near Mason's ability in this offense, and the BB wins a Heisman. I don't know if I'll ever enjoy anything GT football related as much as I did watching Laskey run behind Mason in Athens in the 4th qtr in '14.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Mason may have been the once in a generation OL in this offense. Give us two OL anywhere near Mason's ability in this offense, and the BB wins a Heisman. I don't know if I'll ever enjoy anything GT football related as much as I did watching Laskey run behind Mason in Athens in the 4th qtr in '14.
I can think of one defensive play in particular...

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member

Go Jackets!
I think it's fairly normal to put don't touch me shirt on your starting quarterback so he doesn't get injured during camp. Especially for a running quarterback. We're not the only ones doing it.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
Give us two Shaqs and we'd be in the playoffs every year.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
I think it's fairly normal to put don't touch me shirt on your starting quarterback so he doesn't get injured during camp. Especially for a running quarterback. We're not the only ones doing it.
Thank you, 07.
An option QB is a running back that can pass. He gets hit more than any other type of QB.
Most option QBs are light yet resilient. They take enough hits in a regular game & don't need any more in practice.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
When I watch the Spread Tripe under GREAT GSU coaches I'm in awe.
I still wish we ran the Spread Triple, but we now run the Pistol Option.
If we can win with it like we did for the 2 years under HC Fritz than great.
If not I want to return to the PJ spread T-Option.