Watching the replay

our conditioning is a direct product of having no depth. If there were capable players behind these guys, they would not be in satisfactory game shape.

Anyone heard what GS adjusted at half? Did the change their line spacing or something? I'd be interested in what they did and I have t seen any mention on their boards.

In before someone says "they came out in the second half fired up"

It seemed Southern came out the second half refusing to go down without a fight. We seemed ready to coast to victory and ended up needing a lucky break and inspired play to win the game.

Bottom line is Fritz made a helluva lot better adjustments at halftime than Johnson. That shouldn't happen.

I find it hard to believe CPJ started Vad all last season when he had this kid. I wonder if JT just looked like crap in practice because the dude can flat out play.

GT could easily be sitting at 2-1 or even 1-2 if Vad is still our QB.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. IIRC, Vad looked great in several games. He didn't look so good when he decided the offense wasn't for him. Vad had some great athletic ability, but so does Justin.

Keep in mind that Vad had an extra year's experience running the offense. And was supposed to be the next big thing at Tech as well.

Yeah, hard to say what JT would look like if he only got backup reps this spring and fall. Was really impressed with his poise and determination on last drive. Especially that super tough run up the middle where he kept churning while everyone was standing around. It was obvious he really wanted the win.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. IIRC, Vad looked great in several games. He didn't look so good when he decided the offense wasn't for him. Vad had some great athletic ability, but so does Justin.

Vad was slow from day 1. He had a great game once against UNC.

Bottom line is Fritz made a helluva lot better adjustments at halftime than Johnson. That shouldn't happen.

What do you adjust when you're ahead 35-10? One gripe I had was with the play calling in the 3rd quarter. The 3 and outs killed our defense and allowed GS to build momentum.

What do you adjust when you're ahead 35-10? One gripe I had was with the play calling in the 3rd quarter. The 3 and outs killed our defense and allowed GS to build momentum.

I agree. Although the chop block play was a good play call we just got a penalty on it. JT's accuracy was a bit off and we couldn't convert first downs.

Go read my summaries above and tell me which series you question the play calling.

I don't like the results of the play calling, but it's not like CPJ just went out there and tried to kill clock. The reason we stalled was we stayed committed to the pass.

Read it. Read it again. Watch the replay closely. We didn't go conservative.

First drive was 3 and out, and we passed twice in it. We came out of the gate passing, and didn't execute.

Second drive of the half was Laskey for 4, Laskey for 8, Laskey for 3, counter option got stuffed, completed an out pass short of the sticks. What, do you want more Laskey?

exactly. Very difficult place to be for a head coach, especially given their TD run came on a play where we had 2 guys take the QB, and IJ took a bad angle. Just have to hope to keep the team focused, and it looked like we were about to catch a break and then someone threw a punch...ugh...

Go read my summaries above and tell me which series you question the play calling.

I don't like the results of the play calling, but it's not like CPJ just went out there and tried to kill clock. The reason we stalled was we stayed committed to the pass.

Read it. Read it again. Watch the replay closely. We didn't go conservative.

on our opening possession we should not have thrown the ball on first down IMO. We should've seen what Laskey could give us on First Down.

That's really the only play call I disagreed with.

on our opening possession we should not have thrown the ball on first down IMO. We should've seen what Laskey could give us on First Down.

Yeah, see, this is entirely Fan Hindsight.

We've been critical for two years of CPJ for going simple and trying to burn clock with big leads, and now you're critical of him for doing the exact opposite.

I like the play call. It just didn't work. If we went into that Miami fiasco two years ago with this attitude I think we pull it out. This game seemed to me like CPJ was trying to relearn aggression while ahead, to learn from his mistakes in Miami two years ago. I credit him.

That's really the only play call I disagreed with.

Absolutely with you there. That first play stuck in my craw the entire second half. I was really, really hoping for a death march to start off our first possession in the third Q.

no it's not fan hindsight. I never mind going vanilla after an opening TD drive by the opponent especially one that was the product of a big play. I mean yes if it were a completion for a big TD obviously I like it, but I just would've preferred to open up with the run game after they hit the big play.

Well then that's just, like, your opinion man.

I think teams expect us to do that now, so I like CPJ bucking his own trends to catch teams off guard.

To be honest, I don't like to pass now. Ever. It really pisses me off on first down because I know that an incompletion there generally means punt. But this is why I'm a fan and not a coach.

I think teams expect us to do that now, so I like CPJ bucking his own trends to catch teams off guard.

I'm with you. I like aggressive CPJ.

However, I wonder if this scare will make him more gunshy going forward. I hope not.

I like that he's doing that because he now has confidence the team can pull it off. That's a change from the past coupla years, I believe.

I don't know what it is about out passing game and it's obviously the way our QB's are coached but I just still don't understand it. It looks like they almost get their feet tangled up every time they drop back because they are turned the wrong way and have to turn back the other way. I have seen no advantage in this yet and it seems to hinder our QB's more than help.

To be honest, I don't like to pass now. Ever. It really pisses me off on first down because I know that an incompletion there generally means punt. But this is why I'm a fan and not a coach.

Especially when Laskey can get 3-5 on first down most of the time, especially against weaker teams. We should have been wearing their DL out, but I think they caught a break by our inept running of our offense in the third.

Back