We beat the National Champs

helluvaparamedic

Damn Good Rat
The Dwag beat writer for the Athletic wrote an article that essentially put forth the idea that the Mutts should be claiming at least 2 more MNC titles than they currently do. One of the two seasons that they believe they could lay claim to is 1927 when they were #1 in at least one poll. Their lone loss of that season was to GEORGIA TECH.

https://theathletic.com/1704920/202...ms-2-national-titles-when-it-could-have-more/

The Dwag beat writer for the Athletic wrote an article that essentially put forth the idea that the Mutts should be claiming at least 2 more MNC titles than they currently do. One of the two seasons that they believe they could lay claim to is 1927 when they were #1 in at least one poll. Their lone loss of that season was to GEORGIA TECH.

https://theathletic.com/1704920/202...ms-2-national-titles-when-it-could-have-more/

And Tech followed up that win with a National Championship of our own in 1928!

I don't recall anyone from UGAg claiming 1946 until I was well into adulthood
I don't recall it ever being discussed, myself! Weird how they don't even claim some games in the 1940s, either, even though they showed up to play.

I don't recall it ever being discussed, myself! Weird how they don't even claim some games in the 1940s, either, even though they showed up to play.
Well if they had won I’m sure they would recognize those games.

We should claim 51 & 52 then.

Dwags don’t claim some of our victories in the 40’s basically because we had better players than them so it wasn’t fair.
I believe in one of the 1946 editions of the Athens Knitting Circle and Football Quarterly one of the biddies said STTE “those bulldogs are number 1 in my heart”, so instant natty.

I don't recall anyone from UGAg claiming 1946 until I was well into adulthood

That's the funniest thing about that whole article. They basically acknowledge that 1942 national championship as a made-up one they just happened to suddenly realize was theirs in the mid-80s. Complete bullshit retroactive national championship. Nobody who was actually on that 1942 team believed they were national champions. That scoreboard picture pretty much proves it.

That's the funniest thing about that whole article. They basically acknowledge that 1942 national championship as a made-up one they just happened to suddenly realize was theirs in the mid-80s. Complete bullshit retroactive national championship. Nobody who was actually on that 1942 team believed they were national champions. That scoreboard picture pretty much proves it.
Is it 42 or 46?

In a related story, I was at a Tennessee Volunteer game about a decade or so back and they celebrated their 1967 National Championship team. They were 9-2 and lost to UCLA to start the season and Oklahoma to finish it. Looking at that season, they beat us 24-13 and UGAg continued their tradition back then of dodging Tennessee and Alabama

In a related story, I was at a Tennessee Volunteer game about a decade or so back and they celebrated their 1967 National Championship team. They were 9-2 and lost to UCLA to start the season and Oklahoma to finish it. Looking at that season, they beat us 24-13 and UGAg continued their tradition back then of dodging Tennessee and Alabama

That is hilarious that Tennessee officially claims 1967 as a national championship year. Lost their first game of the season and lost their bowl game to #3 Oklahoma.

Also I know that they used to give NCs before the bowl games, but Tennessee also claims 1951 where they lost to the rightful national champion in their bowl game, Maryland. The best team of 1951 was probably 11-0-1 Georgia Tech.

With all the shady NCs claimed by all these proud SEC programs GT should absolutely be claiming 1951 and 56.

5E8C207D-9439-492D-96FC-4B0480C2FE07.jpeg

so that doesn't include the natty they'll win next year (just ask them, they're already defending national champs of a season yet to be played)?

This is what teams who can’t win titles do. They demand the history books be reopened and their “rightful” titles given to them. Because they know they can’t win one in the present or the future.

Retroactively claiming titles is better than claiming them before they happen tho...
CQbhCaOVEAEaEd5

Back