We still get psyched out by the sight of certain uniforms!

A

ALlives

Level with me. How many of you knew we would rise to the challenge against UVA and NC STATE but would take it on the chin once again against FSU?

How many of you really feel we'll beat the mutts?

Anyway you cut it, we play with confidence, expecting to win against everyone we play except our two dreaded rivals. That's where coaching comes in, and other than when the "FRIDGE" was here, I haven't seen the coaching to get us over that hump. I don't see the coaching now either. I expect us to once again turn it over at a critical time and lose vs the mutts.

I hope I am wrong! I hope I am DEAD WRONG! I hope I hear "I told you so" from now until the end of time. That's what my heart wants. My head tells me we're still psyched out by the sight of certain uniforms.

We have beaten Georgia too many times in our history to be psyched out. This is not a one-sided rivalry. This is a rivalry where Georgia has won more games than us...but where we've won our share.

No, we are not and should never by psyched out by the Red and Black.

I guess my point is. The mutts have something.....we don't. When's the last time we beat them in that scenario?

Oh and by the way. We've beaten the mutts 3 out of the last 11.

Originally posted by bugboy:
[QB]We have beaten Georgia too many times in our history to be psyched out. This is not a one-sided rivalry. This is a rivalry where Georgia has won more games than us...but where we've won our share.

QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't think that we are psyched out by the Red and Black, but make no mistake, this is a one-sided rivalry. When you can count the number of Tech victories on one hand in the last 16 years, I would hope you don't think that is our share.

However, when it comes to FSU, I really believe there is a mental block. Even Louisville beat them this year. That series is now bordering on Florida, Georgia domination, which is laughable.

Thanks for pointing that out "Wrecked"

My point is this. We have NOT beaten FSU since they joined the ACC in 1992. We have won 3 out of the last 11 vs the mutts, and the mutts didn't have much the 3 years we beat them. IF we beat them this season it opens a whole new chapter in GA TECH accomplishments.

I've been following TECH for 33 years. I knew deep down inside no matter how weak FSU was this season, we still didn't have the horses to beat them....either on the field or on the sideline..... because we still haven't gotten over the psychological part of playing them. My experience tells me no matter how OVERRATED the mutts are in an extremely weak sec, we still haven't found a way to overcome their domination of us, because we haven't found a way to win when we're not playing top-notch football(as evidenced by CLEM-WAKE-FSU) this season.

Once again I hope I am totally wrong and you can tell me how foolish I was. My experiece in following TECH football tells me we will find another way to lose a football game vs the mutts next weekend. I hate posting this but I'm too familiar with GA TECH in BIG games to think otherwise.

Alives, you are exactly right. I bleed gold and have followed the Jackets as you have since birth, but you are right. When you can sort of name "where you were" like the Lake Placid hockey win for every Tech win, you know the series is stacked the other way.

Techsters are in large part to blame,always content to bring up women's volleyball, basketball or some other nonsense in arguments, or even point to our overall record vs. UGA's, despite the fact we have lost within the ACC while they haven't gotten past UF, TN, and others most years. Even within those arguments, baseball this year is the first time I can remember our boys really dominating them.

We would be wise to admit football rules the roost, demand some excellence and expect it. Instead our history since Dodd has been littered with a good season here, three bad, mediocre, yadda yadda yadda.

While academic standards are one barrier, there are others that should tilt in our advantage - location in Atlanta, lower scholarship limits since the old days, etc.

I watched a once-proud football program flounder about against Duke last Sat. before maybe 20,000 people. This was a team that when the coach took over it was stated that "some coaches come to rebuild but this team has won and we expect to do the same". Now I here all the apologies and excuses coming out BEFORE the Georgia game to minimize it.

It is frustrating because WE CAN WIN THIS GAME but as you note the air of pessemism is prevalant, made only the worse by minimizing the game and happily bragging about being the in the ACC and going to the Seattle Bowl or Tire Bowl.

First Post(Reply) Here!
Agree with the longtime bugaboo vs the mutts. However, do you realize that none of our seniors were past the age of 16, the last time our Jackets took it on the chin in Athens..1996 !!
Maybe more importantly, the same holds true for ugags seniors! GO JACKETS !

Uh, haven't we won 3 out of 4 ?
Wouldn't "recent" history be FAR more germane
towards the attitude of the players - as compared to what happened 10+ years ago ??????

I mean, seniors and juniors (RS) at Tech should EXPECT to beat UGA...Why ? BECAUSE THEY HAVE WON 3/4 !! WHy would they care about what happened when they were in middle school for heavens sake !

You don't think the fact that those uniforms are filled with the most talent might have something to do with it?

This is a ridiculous thread. No offense, ALlives. I just think you're flat out wrong. You point out that we've only won 3 of 11...well, we've won 3 of 4. We've won 5 of 13. This aint FSU we're dealing with. This is a team we've beaten alot lately. We did beat 3 good UGA teams from 98 to 00. That 00 team had tons of players that wound up in the NFL including a couple of 1st round draft picks...and we beat them like a drum.

Please, people. Let's not go any further with this. This aint Vandy/UT here. We are not psyched out. Never have been psyched out. Never will be psyched out.
pat.gif

bugboy--The premise of "Stingtalk" is that all opinions are welcome, so lets end the "ridiculous thread". That's the reason I don't post on the Hive anymore.

My opinion comes from years of frustration when it comes to playing our biggest rivals. It comes from seeing us no closer to winning a BCS bid then we were 10 years ago. It comes from not playing in a major bowl for 36 years. It comes from seeing GA TECH lose headcoaches one after another either because they are too bad or too good. In my opinion the lack of continuity in coaching is our biggest obstacle.

I simply do not see progress in this program. Beating UVA and NC ST and then once again losing to a very beatable FSU at home just confirms my beliefs.

Maybe I expect more from this program than others, or maybe I'm just unwilling to except the reality that we will never be more than 8-3 or 7-4. But please, don't criticize me for having an opinion.

Al your opinion, like all others is welcome. One nice thing about this board as compared to the other one, is this one seems more grounded in reality. For the longtime Tech fans who have watched some brutal games against UGA and lived through the domination of the past 30 years, it is hard to accept our recent success against them. That is why to the newer fans it seems we dwell in the past and expect the worst.

For the newer fans, lets hope that the last five years is indicative of where this rivalry is headed and you never see a repeat of the past.

Sorry, AL. I'm not an administrator and don't have the right to shut down a thread.

If you had talked about getting psyched by FSU, I'd agree 100%. They own us, even when they stink.

UGA, OTOH, is a different animal. We've had a few slides against them from '78 to '83 and from '91 to '97. But we've always come back and won a few here and there. Since Dooley retired, we've won 5 of 13. We've won 3 of 4. To me, that's evidence that we most definitely are not psyched out by them.

The comments you made about coaches coming and going and no major bowl in forever...well, that's true and it's frustrating. But let's not lose sight of the goal for the next 2 weeks...beat UGA.

BTW, I'm 35 years old, so I've seen alot of the down years you speak of. Keep the faith.

Originally posted by ALlives:
bugboy--The premise of "Stingtalk" is that all opinions are welcome, so lets end the "ridiculous thread". That's the reason I don't post on the Hive anymore.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You can have any opinion you like; that doesn't mean anybody else has to like it. Apparently, bug has the opinion that the thread you started is ridiculous. I agree with him; in fact, I haven't liked any of your posts that I recall. So what? Take a cue from Beeware, express your opinion and let the devil take the hindmost.

BINGO! You can disagree with me all you want. Lord knows I disagree with many that I read. But allow each of us to express our true feelings without fear of retribution because some of us choose not to use rose-colored glasses when evaluating this program.

I find that attitude seems to be characterized by longevity, in other words how long one has followed the program. I, for the longest time, thought we'd eventually turn the corner and be an annual contender for the conference championship, and that we always seemed to be just one step away. O'leary leaving was a dagger in the heart for me. I thought we were finally past the stage of being a stepping stone program for headcoaches. You simply cannot win without continuity in coaching. I've seen 8 headcoaches comes and go. I seriously doubt that it's ever going to change.

Back