Wed practice

gtguy

Varsity Lurker
Wed was first bad day for Benett. Little off on most
throws for the entire time. Best performance of the day was by the OL who did a great job of opening holes for all the running backs during 11 on 11.
Jason Hill was carted off with what looked like an ankle inury. Bey Bey took a big hit to the abdomen at
the very end of practice, upchucked and looked to be
in a lot of pain; hopefully nothing serious.
Wed has a lot of 1st and 2nd teamers in class and therefore they do not participate in practice. Threet
was back taking snaps 2nd in the rotation of QBs.

Geezus, my hair is falling out in klumps

Pleeaze, no more reports!!

gtguy said:
Wed was first bad day for Benett. Little off on most
throws for the entire time. Best performance of the day was by the OL who did a great job of opening holes for all the running backs during 11 on 11.
Jason Hill was carted off with what looked like an ankle inury. Bey Bey took a big hit to the abdomen at
the very end of practice, upchucked and looked to be
in a lot of pain; hopefully nothing serious.
Wed has a lot of 1st and 2nd teamers in class and therefore they do not participate in practice. Threet
was back taking snaps 2nd in the rotation of QBs.

Just curious,
On a scale of 1 to 10, what is your impression of Threet? Lot of promise there?

Hard to put a # on it since he is only a 1st semester fr. However, taking that into consideration, I'd say 7-8.
I'd say lots of promise. Bear in mind I am conservative. However, I'd put Ingram on almost an even plain. But he is not getting the reps, for the reason already discussed.

Booker is ahead of both. Threet is still in the learning stage and adjusting to the fast pace of the college game.

Not so fast my friend. On Wed Threet had moved back to taking snaps ahead of Booker. However, based on previous weeks' practice I would agree with you.

I was there and Booker is still the second string qb. They gave Threet reps with the first team offense. Booker is still the backup.

so who's truly the back up, and was all the hype about Threet a bit overblown?

dcjacket said:
so who's truly the back up, and was all the hype about Threet a bit overblown?

Hype? The guy has just started PRACTICING as a true freshman. The guy he's up against was highly recruited as well and has two years of practice under his belt. Tyler will tell you they're both ahead of where he was at this time.

Give the guy some time.

People think these top recruits can just walk on campus and be big timers. Doesn't happen right away.

Huge difference between even the best high school ball to this level in college. HUGE HUGE Difference.

Any player will tell you the speed is unreal.

I think Steven has done real well to be in the mix at 2nd. We'll see who comes out of top.

Another thing to consider. Things always change a great deal from spring to fall. The urgancy comes into play in the fall. Makes certain people step up more than others.

Still a long way to go till Southbend.

Go Jackets!

gtguy said:
Hard to put a # on it since he is only a 1st semester fr. However, taking that into consideration, I'd say 7-8.
I'd say lots of promise. Bear in mind I am conservative. However, I'd put Ingram on almost an even plain. But he is not getting the reps, for the reason already discussed.

gtguy,
I appreciate you sharing what you saw at practice. From what you and the others are saying, looks like we may be pretty strong at the QB position.
Next question:
How did the "ALL IMPORTANT, OVER WORKED, UNDER GLORIFIED" Offensive Line look to you? Got any ideas on a 1-10 survey of the O Line? Did they look pretty strong to you?

I'm hearing the O-Line should be very strong, with very strong back ups behind them. I'd expect at least one of last year's starter's to be playing second team by year's end - (possibly 2 of them).

But Chan and Co. like to reward their tenured players, so - At a minimum one of them will be giving up a lot of traded PT with his back up each game, just like last year, but that may happen with more than one guy also.

The two deep OL is pretty strong. The weakness you keep hearing about is one guy who is a heck of a ball player, and a very tough guy with the right attitude - but has a back up who is stronger and bigger and better. That guy will be subbed out in a lot of situations just like he was late last year most games.

In general, I think a lot of guys will sub a lot more anyway, just because we are finally at a point that we can, without a sharp drop off.

First of all, I really like our OL. Second Dunmon cut off all those golden locks and now has a crew cut. He must be at least .1 or .2 faster in the 40. Ha I'd say the OL looks real strong with run blocking. Always going against Tenuta's blitzing defense it is hard to evaluate the pass blocking, but they are at least holding their own. Smith has really surprised me, I thought he might be a weak link, but he has looked very consistent. Dunmon is definitely someone who could break into the starting lineup and will definitely get reps in games, even if it is as a sub. I think Cord will fit into that same category. If he can get healthy for the fall, I think you can add Lonowski as the third one in that category. I think the starters and depth will be better than anything we have had in years.

Last edited:
Righlt now Dunmon and Voss are the backup guards and Cord and Jake should be the backup tackles.

Hey sidewalkfan, I know you were there, but Dunmon is the backup center who also plays guard while Voss and Brown are the backup guards. Also, like I said I am not sure Howard will be a backup come fall. He was awful close to being a starter last year.

In the normal course of a game Tums is never out unless he is hurt. Dunmon is the first to come in as a backup guard. Voss and Howard would be in the game before Brown in that same capacity.

The two seniors, Rhodes and McManus, are and will be the starting guards next season.

Sidewalk fan, not to just disagree with you, but I get a kick out of how you talk with such certainty. Just for the sake of arguement - you say Voss and Dunmon are the backup guards. I say Voss and Brown "are" the backup guards and Dunmon "is" the backup center. I'll say that Howard may be the first to come in as a backup guard in a game, not Dunmon. He was at the end of last season. But I will agree that in a game I would expect Dunmon or Voss to play guard before Brown. No need to respond, because you could be right. That is why I said "I think." Just trying to point out that you have an opinion, mine is different. Hopefully, you realize that and don't think your opinion is always right.

Coach D likes his players to be able to play multiple positions and either side of the line.

Last year Cord was Rhodes' replacement at left guard and Dunmon was McManus' replacement at right guard.

This week, when Rhodes missed practice because of class and McManus hurt his ankle, Dunmon was the left guard with the first team and Voss was the right guard with the first team.

Chan has stated that this fall Cord will go back to tackle.

Although A.J. Smith has looked good this spring, I think Howard is expected to compete with him at RT in the fall. The wild card in the deck is Jacob Lonowski. If he is healthy he can play at a high level at either guard or tackle.

What we should take out of this is that we have more QUALITY depth on the offensive line than at any time since 1990.......and we know what happened then.

Back