We're #16 in the Coaches Poll

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-penn-mississippi-georgia-tech-duke/19108155/

Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets are arguably the nation's most surprising 9-2 team, having just wrapped up their ACC slate with a convincing win against Clemson. Georgia Tech got some help in the form of a Duke loss Saturday, but needs a little more to possibly reach the ACC title game. Watch out if the Yellow Jackets make it, however. They've got the league's best rushing attack and would pose some problems for Florida State.

635516796275440009-USATSI-8205836.jpg

Georgia Tech quarterback Justin Thomas (5) celebrates his team's 22-point win vs. Clemson on Saturday.(Photo: Brett Davis, USA TODAY Sports)

We've been a little bit higher in the Playoff Rankings the past 2 weeks than in the polls, so we'll see what happens with that

So far the committee has really seemed to evaluate each week's rankings from a new perspective, rather than simply moving down teams who lose and doing nothing else. Thanks to that the fact that we started off unranked hasn't hurt us quite as much.

So far the committee has really seemed to evaluate each week's rankings from a new perspective, rather than simply moving down teams who lose and doing nothing else. Thanks to that the fact that we started off unranked hasn't hurt us quite as much.

Yep, but they've seemed to think more highly of us than the AP/Coaches poll has. I know the polls typically use "move up/move down", and the committee re-evaluates, but still:

Week 11:
Polls- Unranked
CFP Rank- 24

Week 12:
AP: 24
CFP: 22

Not a huge difference, and it certainly could be equal with the polls this week (since we already jumped the most of any team), but that's just an observation.

If you think that's funny, Arky is 7 spots ahead of us in the Sagarin rankings....where we're #30.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

FSU is #15 there.

Sagarin loves margins, and there have been a lot of close games in the SEC and a lot of blowouts in the ACC.

When the ACC sent a ton of teams to bowl games it was one of the best conferences per Sagarin and had a bunch of close games that year.

Sagarin loves margins, and there have been a lot of close games in the SEC and a lot of blowouts in the ACC.

When the ACC sent a ton of teams to bowl games it was one of the best conferences per Sagarin and had a bunch of close games that year.

Yeah I get that; but still putting 5-5 Arky team way above us; and a 4 loss LSU team above an undefeated FSU seems a little more than just margins.

I keep thinking the same thing and wondering why nobody is talking about it. We're in awesome position for a 16th ranked team.

because Tech fans wont allow themselves to dream of beating Georgie due to the fear of their own butthurt. As a fanbase, we need to grow thicker butt skin and be willing to think about winning and suffer the pain of perhaps being wrong.

because Tech fans wont allow themselves to dream of beating Georgie due to the fear of their own butthurt. As a fanbase, we need to grow thicker butt skin and be willing to think about winning and suffer the pain of perhaps being wrong.
I have nothing to add other than to say that this is probably the best thing I've ever read on this forum.

The problem that usually happens is that whenever we dream of really doing it then it doesn't actually happen, we then want to burn everything in the program to the ground.

Yeah I get that; but still putting 5-5 Arky team way above us; and a 4 loss LSU team above an undefeated FSU seems a little more than just margins.

The issue is that Sagarin and other computer rankings are highly dependent on a few links between conferences. The SEC won many OOC games at the start of the year.

The overall FEI is interesting and we're #13 in that with only data before last week. A play-by-play accounting for team strength could be better than score-only formulas like Sagarin. For example, VPI had several turnovers against ECU and perhaps would have beaten ECU in 7 or 8 games out of 10.

The issue is that Sagarin and other computer rankings are highly dependent on a few links between conferences. The SEC won many OOC games at the start of the year.

The overall FEI is interesting and we're #13 in that with only data before last week. A play-by-play accounting for team strength could be better than score-only formulas like Sagarin. For example, VPI had several turnovers against ECU and perhaps would have beaten ECU in 7 or 8 games out of 10.

Correct, the issue with Sagarin et al is that they are basically premised on early season results, which could be very different than where teams end up. A conference losing a few head to head matchups early spreads to the rest of the conference like a nasty STD. For example, climpson losing to uga basically affects everyone else climpson plays.

Correct, the issue with Sagarin et al is that they are basically premised on early season results, which could be very different than where teams end up. A conference losing a few head to head matchups early spreads to the rest of the conference like a nasty STD. For example, climpson losing to uga basically affects everyone else climpson plays.

öööö it always creeped me out when I'd hear that saying "your not only sleeping with her, but everyone else she's slept with." Just couldnt get that pyramid of dudes out of my mind.

I think it's because they don't look at previous rankings or anything like that. So they can't say "everyone in the top six stays the same" because they may not remember who all was even in the top 6.

I usually only trust Sagarin when he says were better than the other polls say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sagarin is tough, he has Miami over us, and we have a 'll stats going for us. It would be interesting if someone actually checked his predictive accuracy.

Sagarin is tough, he has Miami over us, and we have a 'll stats going for us. It would be interesting if someone actually checked his predictive accuracy.

You could probably make an argument that his predictions are within variance or some BS like that.

Back