We're a 2nd tier team in a 2nd tier conference.

A

ALlives

We\'re a 2nd tier team in a 2nd tier conference.

My problem is I expected more.

I've seen enough.

1.We lose coaching staffs either because they're too good or they're too bad.

2.We accept mediocrity and don't demand excellence on the football field.

3.We get pschyed out just by the sight of certain uniforms year after year after year.

4.We rarely show the ability to win unexpectedly.

5.We're excuse makers.

6.We are an occasional Gator Bowl program and nothing more!

Please don't blast me for my opinion. I'm tired and I'm frustrated. I've been following this program since DODD. When we rarely DO get something going we don't show the ability to sustain because we are a stepping stone for successful coaches. Every time we make a headcoaching change we've got to go back to square one. I've gone from being sick and tired of it to total apathy. All of the sudden being a season ticket holder is not a priority with me anymore.

Quite simply put I am convinced it's never going to change. GA TECH playing in a major bowl has become unthinkable.

Re: We\'re a 2nd tier team in a 2nd tier conference.

al, you are right about accepting mediocrity. Toward the early part of the season when fsu was showing its vunerability, there were a swarm of posters stating that maybe this could be our year to knock them off.

My response then, and now is that I want to play up to the top teams, beat big-time football teams, and not be excited when one of our conference foes is down so maybe we can beat them. I want GT to be a perrenial national power. Sure there will be up years and down years (i.e. Nebraska, ND) but there are many more up years, and the realistic expectations are there to win.

I'm not claiming that I have the formula to accomplish, but then my paycheck does not require me to do such (neither in signature nor amount.) I have my opinions, however.

The thing I will never understand is why seemingly so many (not all, and I am not singling any particular font out--if the shoe fits...-- are o.k. with the status quo. I'm sure every Tech fan would love nat'l championships, but many still are seemingly not affected with a six win, minor bowl season.

I am not one that wants mediocrity. I am with you, I was spoiled by Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd years, and I want to be spoiled now and in the future. Of Course, I only remember a few of the Alexander years, but I remember all of the Dodd years.

No matter what the item or situation, people generally get what they expect. If we expect mediocrity, we will get mediocrity. If we expect more, we will get more.

It is those fans that hold the coaches to a high degree of success that are the real catalyst for winning. However, we did not get rid of the last head coach, he left of his own accord, so we had no choice but to get another.

I am trying my best to be patient and give the man a chance to correct obvious shortcomings in the coaching staff and player personnel, but it is rather difficult.

It is apparent he has made a slight correction in the use of staff, but it is also obvious he needs to make some player personnel changes. I believe there will be a major change in the staff at the end of the year, but the player personnel change should have already been handled.

For this omission, I fault the head coach.

Anyhow, we do have the right to air our grievances and opinions on the board.

drinking.gif

Can anyone remember:

The last time we blocked a punt or fg?
The last time we ran back kick for TD?
The last time we pulled an upset? I guess NCState, but they lost again today.
The last time completed a long pass for TD?
The last time completed pass to wr wide open and ran for TD? All our successful plays happen real close to line of scrimmage.

ahso, thanks for a perspective (the "golden years") I don't possess. I cut my teeth on Pepper Rodgers, so my GT experience is much more limited than many here.

However, even if I had never heard of those years of which you speak (you are fortunate to have seen so much revered GT history,) I can't understand a mindset any other than that of wanting to be the best.

That's how I was raised (thanks to my dad I was raise GT,) that's how I played, that's how I coached, and that how I "cheer." It doesn't mean I will ever stop considering myself a Jacket, nor will I ever stop attending and watching games; I just wish for more.

I agree with your assessment of the current state of GT football--we really are a stepping stone, rather than a destination program.

We can moan about it all we want, but the question is what are we willing to do to change things?

Pay more money (we already pay a mind-boggling amount of money to men to coach a "game")?

Take chances on better athletes/worse students (athlete-students as opposed to student-athletes)?

Listen, I want us to win as much as anyone, but I realize that for us to reach the echelon of the FSUs, Nebraskas, Notre Dames, and other football factory schools will require us to make concessions I'm not comfortable making. This is not to say I'm happy being a mediocre team, it means until I see a way to have my cake and eat it too, I'm okay with just having it.

I don't think this program wants to be anything more than a winner. I think Gailey possesses the fire and ability for us to be a CONSISTENT winner. We'll see a different team next year and beyond I believe. Thing ARE getting better.

Try putting the GT team of game 3 or 4 up against FSU. We would have gotten stomped. Now we're competitive. Soon we'll prevail!

grin.gif

Look at it this way. With our curriculum we are the equivalent of MIT with a football program. How many programs that we compete with have the limited curriculum that we have? Answer.....None.

As long as our curriculum is the way that it is (Engineering or Management) we will never be at the top of the heap because we will never have the quanity of athletes to match up with the FSU's and UGA's consistently

The curriculum is not THAT narrow! We have computer science, science (chemistry, physics, biology), I think pre-med and pre-law, architecture, building construction (chosen by J. P. Foschi), psychology, and something like "History of Science and Technology" which I think is largely non-technical. It's nothing like a football factory's curriculum (no basket-weaving), but there is SOME choice.

But it is still narrower that MIT's curriculum!

Back