Were our leaders really shocked?

Vintage85

Varsity Lurker
Was Braine surprised at the severity or have we been misled? Perhaps some of the reason for the severity is that Braine tried to minimize what happened. Maybe he ticked off the NCAA.

I can't figure out why our penalties are so harsh. We have to believe that either the NCAA has it in for Tech or the committee lost its mind or that what we've been told by our administration just isnt' accurate. I don't know what to think or believe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

they're thanking the stars that the NCAA didn't deliver a heavier blow.

Have to believe that Clough asking for the postponement for his vacation didn't help either.

I really don't think lack of institutional control is an accurate portrayal though. More like instititutional stupidity. We evidently didn't know our own rules about what classes counted for what majors, what grades kids needed for a class to count, or how many hours they needed to pass. I'm sorry, but most college age kids can look stuff up in a course catalog. Could our academic advisors really have been that stupid?

My Lord NCJ. I ranted, raved, screamed, cried and almost everything else when news first broke about clough getting the hearing postponed so he could go on vacation. I was attacked like I never have been on these boards (not necessarily by you) and now someone is saying they wonder if it might have had something to do with the severity of the punishment?

All the problems we are having now START WITH CLOUGH, DB is just the waterboy. My God.

Let me ask you a question though, and I'm not trying to be an apologist for Clough. But we know Roper was at fault for much of this. Is it Clough's responsibility to know that someone who had been in his job for 30+ years actually knew the detail about what he was responsible for? I don't really know who the advisors worked for, GTAA? Again, is it Clough's job to be sure they know their job?

Before you tell me he's responsible for everything on campus, I know that. But if something happened in a dining hall and 100 kids got sick, would that mean Clough should be fired? My point is, I really don't think this happened because of anything Clough did or didn't do. He trusted long time employees to do their jobs. He got burned and may have to take the heat. But blaming him makes it seem he actually did something. I don't think he did.

Now Braine otoh, if the advisors work for GTAA is a completely different story. He's a department head and it is his responsibility to be sure his departement is run well.

[ QUOTE ]
But if something happened in a dining hall and 100 kids got sick, would that mean Clough should be fired?

[/ QUOTE ]

As you pointed out no, not Clough unless he did not make the proper corrections.

I tend to agree that Clough is not responsible for properly interpreting the NCAA rules and making the NCAA calculations on academic progress. Clough is only reponsible for directly or indirectly hiring or appointing someone with the competence to properly interpet the rules and correctly make the calculations as well as the associated academic recommendations for scheduling courses.

In this case, someone who was being paid to handle some of these responsibilities made NCAA rule interpretation errors, GT degree requirement interpretation errors, and/or degree progress calculation errors. Even worse such errors continued to be made after we knew that we had a problem in Aug./Sept. 2004.

Good post NCJ,
Can't fire the President just because a water valve started dripping in the boys bath room.

With all due respect ...

The larger point here is that it is Clough's job to ensure that the very visible and public parts of the Institute are managed properly. I don't think the "100 students" analogy is appropriate. Rather, imagine if there had been gross corruption and kickbacks found during the building of the complex accross the interstate. He would not have been directly responsible, but would have been responsible for the folks causing the problem. This magnitude and publicity of this situation is much more like that. "The Hill" has been directly responsible for putting people in place that have led to the flunkout of 10 SA's and now a harsh probation. I can tell you with 100% certainty that in a short while, if you interview the average man on the street, the most prominent thing they know about Tech is going to be that we just got put on probation. It is indeed Clough's responsibility to ensure that public embarrasments like this do not occur. Get rid of him or exepect him to resign --- no. Expect him to take proactive steps to have the mess cleaned up and restore our football program to a point where it brings public honor to the Institute --- yes.

Back