We've been ranked the #5...

Very lazy analysis.

#1 teams probably don't want to play our spread option, something they won't see that much in other games
#2 they didn't consider the opponents that caused our record

Weak article. They apparently based their ranking on OOC record, which is ridiculous. We play UGA and typically another very good team just about every year, while most teams play no more than one team with a pulse.

Its a credible article. We've played plenty of cream puffs too. OOC record versus FBS teams is horrid. I'd schedule us too. Since 2010 we've lost to the Kansas Jayhawks, we've lost to Air Force, we've lost to Middle Tenn. State, we've lost to BYU TWICE, we've lost to Utah, we've lost to Ole Miss. In 4 years that is 7 losses to OOC FBS opponents that we should be beating. I'm giving PJ a long rope, but he hasn't done a very good job since 2009. IT is what it is. Or in this case, we are what we are.

Weak article. They apparently based their ranking on OOC record, which is ridiculous. We play UGA and typically another very good team just about every year, while most teams play no more than one team with a pulse.

Ya bro. Typically another very good team like MTSU or Kansas. What bullshit this article is for not considering that.

Its a credible article. We've played plenty of cream puffs too. OOC record versus FBS teams is horrid. I'd schedule us too. Since 2010 we've lost to the Kansas Jayhawks, we've lost to Air Force, we've lost to Middle Tenn. State, we've lost to BYU TWICE, we've lost to Utah, we've lost to Ole Miss. In 4 years that is 7 losses to OOC FBS opponents that we should be beating. I'm giving PJ a long rope, but he hasn't done a very good job since 2009. IT is what it is. Or in this case, we are what we are.
AF, Utah, and Ole Miss were bowl opponents so wouldn't agree we scheduled them. But, yeah, our OOC record has been worse than what most of us wanted.

No AD or head coach would be stupid enough to choose an OOC opponent based solely on their recent OOC record. They would consider their overall record, particularly how they match up against comparable teams within their own conference and against common opponents. They would consider things like ticket sales and TV appeal. Only a journalist (or a few Stingtalkers) would be dumb enough to use a tiny, unmatched sample size like recent OOC games to help make that decision.

I don't think anyone would go out of their way to play us due to our OOC record of late since they'd have to prepare for the option. But on the other hand, it's not like our offense is blowing it up lately, save against a few FCS teams and a spectacularly unprepared Syracuse team.

CPJ has faced three top 25 OOC opponents in the regular season in six years. All named UGag.

He's faced 8 FCS teams in the same span.

AF, Utah, and Ole Miss were bowl opponents so wouldn't agree we scheduled them. But, yeah, our OOC record has been worse than what most of us wanted.

Well the article brings up USC from the Sun Bowl so I thought they were relevant.

Well the article brings up USC from the Sun Bowl so I thought they were relevant.

Unless I'm missing something, the last time we beat a 'Power 5' opponent in the regular season was Kansas 2011, who went on to finish 2-10.

Edit: And the time before that was Vandy 2009, who also went on to finish 2-10.

Unless I'm missing something, the last time we beat a 'Power 5' opponent in the regular season was Kansas 2011, who went on to finish 2-10.

Edit: And the time before that was Vandy 2009, who also went on to finish 2-10.

And the last time we played a "Power 5" opponent not named georgie in the regular season was ... 2011.

Sure must be a lot of teams who are really mad about loss to BYU...some of yall act like they're FCS...

Sure must be a lot of teams who are really mad about loss to BYU...some of yall act like they're FCS...

They're not FCS, but they're still a very beatable team. IMO, it's the BYU type of games that Tech needs to start winning consistently to get us out of the middle of the road.

They're not FCS, but they're still a very beatable team. IMO, it's the BYU type of games that Tech needs to start winning consistently to get us out of the middle of the road.

BYU is a BCS caliber team. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise.

But your point is the same - we are only two wins away from being something different, every year. Last year, we beat BYU and Ole Miss, it feels completely different, even with the familiar losses to CU, VPI, UGA, and Miami.

BYU is a BCS caliber team. I don't think anyone thinks otherwise.

But your point is the same - we are only two wins away from being something different, every year. Last year, we beat BYU and Ole Miss, it feels completely different, even with the familiar losses to CU, VPI, UGA, and Miami.

Hell, I would settle for a win over ANY ANY of the guys we lost to.JUST ONE.Imight even trade win for a loss. Beat vt ,lose to unc.

Back