What about the Veer?

gnats67

Dodd-Like
Why wouldn't it make sense to employ the old houston veer offense with the current talent we have? It's effective, gives power defenses fits and is more stable/easier to learn and run than trying to re-invent the fridge.
smile.gif

Option game is deadly. We have a great quarterback for it - who this staff sat on the bench - Bilbo.

It would also force our staff to drive to a place like Colorado Springs - Air Force or up the road to Wake Forest to take coaching lessons. Not a prideful thing to do.

Father WASP, this is an old discussion but since you brought it up I'll ask again. What makes you think Bilbo is a fit for the option? I don't know personally, but those who have watched a lot of practice say he doesn't really seem to be an option QB, and wasn't in HS. He's a passer who does have some running ability. That's not the same as an option QB. Not to say he couldn't run it some, ala Goose, but that if we wanted to be an option first team we would need to find someone else to run it.

Also, all coaching staffs visit with other staffs to learn nuances or new schemes all the time. Pride has nothing to do with it, it is an expected and accepted part of being a coach. What makes you think our staff is any different?

Running the option requires a versatile athlete who is a threat to run himself - which Bilbo is. We actually ran the option with success a few times(like vs. FSU) with Suggs and as you point out - and I remember well - the infamous Goose option for a TD vs. UGA two years ago. Once the mechanics of a ride to the fullback are practiced, the quarterback need only attack the inside shoulder of the man responsible for the QB, usually the DE, from there it is either tuck underneath or pitch. This puts enormous pressure on the defense. The problem with Goose and option is he didnt have a whole lot of speed to begin with, and after his knee injury even less, and Suggs also is not a running threat. Bilbo is like Jonathan Smith, someone you want to have the ball in their hands alot. Option game would allow him to do that. That's just my assessment but something to consider. Should Hollings recover well that combination on the perimeter would be a good one. Need to find a fullback to pressure the middle to complete the lineup for a true option game.

I'm not saying Bilbo can't run the option, just that it seems going to a primarily option attack would limit what he's supposed to be most effective at, throwing the ball. I'd love to see the option as a more prominent part of our attack but not as our main focus. And you're right, to do that we can't rely on AJ, he just doesn't have the quickness to make it works. He seems to be a good kid, just also seems kind of mechanical and methodical in his play. Not somebody it appears can make the quick reads/plays needed.

Although, Bilbo has been tagged as a good athlete, I have not seen any of the coaching staff or analyst decree he is an option type QB.

I believe his forte in high school was as a passer. I think NCJacket may be right, he is a passer first and has some ability to elude defenders at times. It is no secret, he can lay the ball on a straight line with plenty of zip one it, and he has great passing range.

With the right coach, I believe he could become a gifted passer in the pros with his athleticism.

The suggestion regarding the coaches learning the Veer or Option games from other coaches may be valid, but Gailey is supposed to know and love the intricacies of the wishbone. I believe he ran that offense when he won the national championship at Troy State.

wink.gif

Good thought gnats.Though it would not be thought of by Tech unless someone told them to use this type of offense.

AR, don't understand your post at all. The fact is nobody uses a veer anymore the major college level and our players are not suited, best we can tell. What you are talking about is taking a passing qb and making him a RB.

Just because Bilbo can throw doesn't mean he can't run and just because he was a dropback quarterback in high school doesn't mean he can't run the option.

And just because someone is quaterback in high school doesn't mean he can't play defensive back or receiver. And just because Hollings played defensive back most of his college careet, that doesn't mean that makes him unable to play running back.

Both Joe Hamilton and Shawn Jones were great passers and great runners. There are several hundred other examples without Tech connections but I won't bother.

I think Gailey has already explained that he didn't want to run the option because it took an inordinate amount of time to practice it.

Hey, I don't know how all the other college teams find time to practice it, but Gailey is former head coach for the Dallas Cowboys and a physical education major from the University of Florida - so he must be right.

But speaking of Gailey and time - apparently even though he was a former college quarterback he can't find the time to make sure that Suggs keeps his form when throwing. Why does he let Suggs lift the ball with one hand from his hip to his head all in one slow windup motion while looking at his target. I guess he doesn't have time to properly instruct him.

I was thinking more along the lines of using the veer as the basis for the running attack rather than eliminating a passing game. 3rd down would still be a passing down with other throws mixed in to bumfuzzle the defenses. Perhaps it came to mind because of how TECH breakin the huddle and lining up in the bone under fridge used to worry the socks off of "the other guys." You might not want to bother with it though if you weren't going to use it alot.

Originally posted by Buzzfan:
longtime fan of the Delaware Wing T, myself ;-)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Buzzfan, now there's a thought, GSU ran the hambone very well.

The D Wing T favors a smaller quick team with misdirection and motion virtually every play. Teams that run it don't run the straight drop back passing game, but can pass a lot out of play action.

I don't believe the big name colleges think its a serious offense anymore, but if it fits the talent its better than getting beat 50 sumthing to 7...

My sons high school team ran the Wing T and when they needed to pass went straight to the shotgun. It has its possibilities, but you need a lot of fast backs to play the wing and a durable "fullback" who is really a tailback with no fullback blocking for him.

Stated by Gold buzz, I think Gailey has already explained that he didn't want to run the option because it took an inordinate amount of time to practice it.

/QUOTE]When did you hear Gailey say this . I've never heard him even indicate such. Please respond with actual quote if possible. I'd like to know.

Just my opinion but I don't think it makes a diffence what offence is consider for Suggs or Bilbo to run because there is no one on this staff who can develope a Quarterback.

Back