What are A backs and B backs?

flakjacket

Varsity Lurker
OK, I admit it, I really don't fully understand the triple option. Would somebody PLEASE explain to me what are the roles of the backs in this offense. For example what doe the B-back do? What does the A-back do. what else should I know? Keep it elementary, Watson. Please. Thanks, Flakjacket.

Tje SB is an A back and the FB is a B-back but this is the formation that we will be running out of.
Flexbone_Formation.PNG

Their roles in a Triple Option play are as follows:

1) B-back: The b-backs job is to take the hand off from the Quarterback and run up the gut.
2) A-back: The slotbacks, in the TO play, have two jobs. Let's say the play is going to be run to the left. The slotback on the left will be responsible for blocking the cornerback. The slotback on the right will run behind and to the left of the QB, ready to accept the pitch.

This changes based on the play. The slotbacks/A backs are hybrid receiver/running back types, so they'll run pass routes too.

I think that maybe we should make a sticky with FAQs about the 3O, as I've seen this question asked and answered a few times, and I'm sure with Spring practice starting, more people are going to wonder what exactly it is that our offense is doing.

The triple option is easier to understand out of the I.

I_Formation.PNG

A basic triple option play works like this:

QB looks at the defensive alignment, and decides whether it's smarter to give the ball to the FB up the middle or keep it himself.

QB takes the snap from under center.

QB either hands off to the FB, or keeps the ball himself, and runs towards the strong side of the field. (towards the TE in the I formation diagram above) The HB runs along behind / outside of the QB while he's running. Do note that because of the fake, one of the LBs is stuck defending the FB.

The TE lays a lead block on one of the linebackers, but either another LB or a safety will come up and challenge the QB. If the QB isn't challenged, he runs forward for 5 to 8 yards. If he is challenged, then he waits until the last second and pitches the ball to the HB.

At the moment of the pitch, one LB is stuck on the FB, one LB is stuck on the TE, one LB (or SS) is stuck on the QB, the CB on that side of the field is being blocked by the WR, so the half back is one on one with whoever's left. Either they tackle him for a short to medium gain, or he breaks it and goes to the house.

That's the basics of triple option football, as it was played by numerous teams for many many years. The thing about it is that you only have numbers running towards the Tight End, so the defense is able to adjust to it.

Paul Johnsons Flexbone trick is really pretty simple. He lines up in that "Double Slot" formation BOR posted above, which is balanced towards both sides of the field, and has 4 guys near the line instead of 3, who could all be receivers if we wanted them to be. (it's supposed to essentially be a 4 WR set, which it is if you have the right personnel). Then he rolls one of the Slot Backs (SBs) around behind the FB during pre-snap motion, and runs the same old I form triple option, since he's now lined up properly for it. The defense never knows who's going to rotate back during the motion, though, so they can't line up to one side, and they also don't know if you're going to put 4 guys out in the pattern, so they have to stay home to worry about the pass. The formation freezes them, which simplifies your reads, prevents them from stacking the point of attack, and overall allows the option to work better.

So it's power football from a spread formation.

To drive the point home, think about it from the point of view of the defense. Usually for triple option, everybody gets a guy. The weakside linebacker takes the fullback, the middle linebacker covers the QB, and the strongside linebacker takes the pitch guy. That way you rotate your assignments so you can stop the run with your linebackers, which is the goal. In the flexbone, nobody knows whether the pitch guy is going left or right presnap, so the middle linebacker's gotta take the fullback, leaving one outside linebacker to deal with both the QB and the pitch guy, and the other linebacker is whistling dixie. You need 4 LBs, or 3 and saftey support, for every running play. That leaves only 3 guys in pass coverage, and your formation has four potential receivers right at the line of scrimmage.

beej, PJ's offense won't be run out of that formation. It will be run out of the exact same formation I posted. The SB is the AB and the FB is the BB.

Thanks again beej for an indepth description. Now I see why the formation is set differently than the "I".

bor said:
beej, PJ's offense won't be run out of that formation. It will be run out of the exact same formation I posted. The SB is the AB and the FB is the BB.
beej said:
Paul Johnsons Flexbone trick is really pretty simple. He lines up in that "Double Slot" formation BOR posted above, which is balanced towards both sides of the field, and has 4 guys near the line instead of 3, who could all be receivers if we wanted them to be. (it's supposed to essentially be a 4 WR set, which it is if you have the right personnel). Then he rolls one of the Slot Backs (SBs) around behind the FB during pre-snap motion, and runs the same old I form triple option, since he's now lined up properly for it. The defense never knows (etc).....
Reading comprehension is your friend. :P

Here's about a thousand examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS7Ak0cFkAY&feature=related

In many of these, the A back doesn't move across the formation to be the pitch man until after the snap, somewhat contrary to what I posted above.

Huh?

Listen beej, if you don't sum it up in 4 sentences or less, I'm off to the next post.

Hehe, okay, boss. Triple Option Football in 4 sentences or less:

You take the snap.
Then you either hand to the B back or keep it.
Then you either run with it or pitch it to the A back.
Then we all get drunk.

The End.

Hehe, okay, boss. Triple Option Football in 4 sentences or less:

You take the snap.
Then you either hand to the B back or keep it.
Then you either run with it or pitch it to the A back.
Then we all get drunk.

The End.
It's good to know that one tenet of the Chan Gailey offense, me getting drunk, will remain the same.

Yes, but for a different reason.
You can drink to forget, you can drink to celebrate, either way, I'm getting good and drunk. Win or lose, I need my booze.

Seriously though, with the simple complexity of our brand new offense, the triple option is begging for a drinking game. Probably one with better rules then the Chan Gailey drinking, which was simply drink beer and yell.

Chan Gailey drinking was really fun: Drink when you guess the next play call correctly. I got soused regularly.

Thanks for the tutorial. It helps...but I still have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. Don't get me wrong, I want to win more than I want to be entertained with long bombs down the field especially if we don't win consistently. However, it would liven games up if we threw (and caught!) an occasional long pass. The answers to my original query were great but no one has really addressed the role of the medium to long length forward pass out of this formation. How about it? Are we REALLY gonna pass sometime...i.e. other than a long pitch out? (Yeah, I read the AJC article about this but what's the real deal?)

2. Is there any room for the drop back pass out of the Triple Option scheme or are passes usually made on the run? Unless you have a really great athlete at QB, passes made on the run are oftentimes lacking in the accuracy “department”.

3. I recently read a rumor that Josh Nesbitt might be moved to A-back (slot back). Any truth to this rumor?

Find some Navy film on the internet if you can...particularly last year's Duke game or the OT win at ND. Navy was okay passing the ball at times but didn't really have the talent to do much. With the athletes Tech has the pass will be much more of a threat to a defense. You also normally get single coverage due to the difficulty in stopping the 3O and the fact that pass plays are run from the same formation. The A backs can be slot receivers and you already have 2 WRs.

If you read a rumor about Nesbitt at A back, it was an old one or mere speculation. At this time he's a QB and would only be moved if he can't cut it there.

One Way To Remember

The B Back looks at the "b"utt of the quarterback before each play.

The A Backs say... 'A!!! Pitch me da #@$% ball!!!"

Back