What are folks thinking about Paul Johnson these days?

After you have been married 4 or 5 times and your wives keep leaving you or you keep leaving them looking for someone younger, do you ever say, "Maybe, its me?"

I'm not a P.J. hater, and I realize the majority of this forum supports P.J., as I do. I'm just answering the original question.

If you want to stick with the Dave Braine mentality, then yes, P.J. stays. But, I thought that was the whole reason we went to go get P.J., it was to get to 10 wins a season.

We've done it once. All his recruits are in and like I said, he has two years left to prove it. P.J. says the right things compared to previous coaches, but his record is about the same.

It is, what it is

You know ^^ your username really doesn't bring out the best in images....

Assuming CPJ can't get the job done by the end of the '14 season (which I think he will, and this discussion will be moot), the $6M question is, "Who can Tech get that is better than CPJ?"

Assuming CPJ can't get the job done by the end of the '14 season (which I think he will, and this discussion will be moot), the $6M question is, "Who can Tech get that is better than CPJ?"

Larry Fedora might be available by then. :lol:

I'm not a P.J. hater, and I realize the majority of this forum supports P.J., as I do. I'm just answering the original question.

If you want to stick with the Dave Braine mentality, then yes, P.J. stays. But, I thought that was the whole reason we went to go get P.J., it was to get to 10 wins a season.

We've done it once. All his recruits are in and like I said, he has two years left to prove it. P.J. says the right things compared to previous coaches, but his record is about the same.

It is, what it is

No offense, but this is broad brush strokes. If PJ has winning seasons PERIOD he's going to remain our coach for a longer time than 2 years. If he has a ten win season in the next two years, OR beats UGA in the next two years, AND wins a bowl game in that span.. he's going to stay our coach.

The only way we consider firing PJ is if we have a 7 win season or less, lose to UGA, and lose our bowl game for two seasons in a row. Kind of doubt that happens.

No offense, but this is broad brush strokes. If PJ has winning seasons PERIOD he's going to remain our coach for a longer time than 2 years. If he has a ten win season in the next two years, OR beats UGA in the next two years, AND wins a bowl game in that span.. he's going to stay our coach.

The only way we consider firing PJ is if we have a 7 win season or less, lose to UGA, and lose our bowl game for two seasons in a row. Kind of doubt that happens.

And even then we keep him. His contract is too much not to keep him. I don't have the numbers, but I think he is under contract for 5 more years at $2.5 mil per year. There is no way we can pay anyone $2.5 mil not to coach us. Hell, we already are paying xCPH $1.3 mil not to coach for us. $4 million (or about 8% of our annual athletics budget) tied up in two coaches that don't coach for us?

Don't forget, Al Groh is going to get much more expensive soon, too, if we don't want another defensive changeover.

That's more or less where most of us are. We think he'll make it a moot point, but concede that two horrible seasons in a row are proof that he simply isn't the right guy. We really don't care if the offense scores a million points if the defense gives up a million and the special teams give up another one. We also don't care if the offense gains a million yards and because we only recruited offensive players, the defense gives up more. In the end, it's all W's and L's. How we get there is arbitrary.

And even then we keep him. His contract is too much not to keep him. I don't have the numbers, but I think he is under contract for 5 more years at $2.5 mil per year. There is no way we can pay anyone $2.5 mil not to coach us. Hell, we already are paying xCPH $1.3 mil not to coach for us. $4 million (or about 8% of our annual athletics budget) tied up in two coaches that don't coach for us?

Actually, Chan has been paid off and they struck a deal with Hewitt, so this point is moot.

You know ^^ your username really doesn't bring out the best in images....

Ummm...., it's from that big ----ing shaft in the middle of campus by the student center that everyone references when taking any class at Tech

Actually, Chan has been paid off and they struck a deal with Hewitt, so this point is moot.

Chan was only $1 million per and I wasn't figuring him into the numbers.

Source on the 'deal with Hewitt?' Last I heard it was $1.3 mil per year for 4 or 5 more years

Do you think we have the budget to pay $2.5 million to a coach not to coach us? Heck, that alone is about 5% of the athletic budget. Who are you going to hire at that point worth a lick? It is certainly not a moot point.

Ummm...., it's from that big ----ing shaft in the middle of campus by the student center that everyone references when taking any class at Tech

453356533_665bd996b9.jpg

P.J. has two years left then he's gone. He can't beat UGA. At this point, I'd take back Gailey or O'Leary. I like the T.O. when it's working but if a good team has enough time, they pretty much own us.

Our bowl record is ridiculously stupid.

Things dumb people say.

It is, what it is
All his players are in, but he hasn't had a senior laden team yet. His philosophy is based on redshirting and playing with a larger percentage of RS sr's and RS jr's in the 2 deep. That, along with coaching, can hopefully overcome the talent differential with the factories.

We're not quite at that point yet. '13 will be the first year where we have a significant number of upperclassmen in the two deep.

Again, not trying to stir up the nest, but what's different in your statement than the last two years, 1 win!??

My point is, things don't seem much different now than the Gailey years. That's why I think he'll be gone whenever his contract is up, which I thought was 2013 but I guess from reading it's 2014 as he got some extension along the way.

P.J. has two years left then he's gone. He can't beat UGA. At this point, I'd take back Gailey or O'Leary. I like the T.O. when it's working but if a good team has enough time, they pretty much own us.

Our bowl record is ridiculously stupid.

I'm not going to use the word stupid as you did, but your post is ridiculous.

My point is, things don't seem much different now than the Gailey years.

Number of times in the past 4 years we have won more than 7 games: 3.

Number of times in Gailey's entire tenure we won more than 7 games: 1.

Retart. Save for one season where we had some of the best talent this school has ever (or probably will ever) see, we won 7 games a year. CPJ is a huge improvement over CCG. Also, we lost to ----ing Duke.

Back