What are the REAL reasons our football program can't compete?

Buffalobuzz

Varsity Lurker
If Cincinnati can afford $5M/Yr, we either can and are too cheap or are seriously mismanaging our finances. Watching a mid major team show more commitment to their program than our P5 team with great history is just as frustrating as attending Tech in itself.

If Cincinnati can afford $5M/Yr, we either can and are too cheap or are seriously mismanaging our finances. Watching a mid major team show more commitment to their program than our P5 team with great history is just as frustrating as attending Tech in itself.

I don’t know the answer.

Loss of revenue. Johnson's last two seasons were meh and Collins didn't catch lightening in a bottle like we all thought would happen. The last two ADs we've hired have not been impressive either.

Reactions: odw
Loss of revenue. Johnson's last two seasons were meh and Collins didn't catch lightening in a bottle like we all thought would happen. The last two ADs we've hired have not been impressive either.
Not to mention Cincy has been selling out their stadium every year and now has made the playoffs.

We are too cheap because we don’t want to be good in today’s environment of football. Personally I’m ok with that.

I’ve posted the financials here before but we were solidly in the black under the old regime. We exhausted a $5M rainy day find when we spent $9M hiring new staff. We also had a major step down in revenue during the transition year & have been losing revenue steadily since. This is due primarily to lost season ticket sales on a comparative basis compared to mutt and non-mutt year revenues. Our expenses are up because we increased the size of our staff. The only thing keeping us afloat is ACC Network revenue plus operational funds earmarked for salaries, etc as part of Stansbury’s fundraising initiatives. There’s also the Benz game to consider but there’s nothing publicly available to determine whether that’s $500k or $1M or what. You can argue Rona did it but how do you explain weak 2019 numbers? That was pre-Rona and all the excitement over the new staff should have resulted in more $$ not less.

Bottom line is our financial shape is worsening not getting better.

Note: Cudos to Stansbury on some effort to fundraise. It was marginally successful when compared to dook and wake.

Because the school doesn't make it a priority. Most universities need athletics as an advertisement to bring attention to their academics. Tech (the school) has a line around the corner of folks wanting to get admitted so in their mind great athletics is not necessary.

Last edited:
Tech's fanbase is 90% made up of practical engineers who pride themselves in nearly every facet of their life as being able to analyze inputs and outputs and rationalize their actions based off what they observe. Support in terms of butts in the seats and forking over money is based off those inputs and outputs. Emotion has little to do it.

TL;DR - Tech fans are on the spectrum.

Before 2022:

1. Lack of money for facilities and coaches
2. Academic rigor and few "easy" degree options
3. Program "cache"

2022 and beyond:

1. Lack of money for NIL deals
2. Lack of money for facilities and coaches
3. Academic rigor and few "easy" degree options
4. Program "cache"

This is the only place in their lives remotely influenced by emotion. That's why all of you seem like you're at least a quarter retarded.

We are every ööööing shade of gold on the spectrum.
Eh, Stingtalk is just the greater internet ööööwad theory turned up to potato.

I'm talking more about actions driven by emotion. Take COFH. Everyone knew what was going to happen. What we didn't realize was that 35K Tech fans would decided to go all Rainman together sell to the highest bidder, which happened to be dwags, and everyond rationalized it because they successfully managed to pay for 33% of their season ticket package on one game. lOoK HoW SmArT I Am???? IdIot DwAg, I WoUlD hAvE tAkEn HaLf Of WhAt YoU PaID.

Back