What decides a team’s W/L record?

jacket67

Dodd-Like
Just my own WAG, but curious what others think.

QB play: 30%
O and D lines: 20%
Rest of athletes: 20%
Coaching: 20%
Luck 10%

Who you play matters an awful lot. If GT played GSU’s schedule, even with Collins at the helm, they would probably have won enough to go bowling.

Geef likes to reference his days at Temple a lot, so I'm thinking that must be related.

I'm thinking, and I could be wrong here, but if you score more points than your opponent, you'll probably win more games, and thus, affect your win/loss record.

$$$$ decides W/L in CFB

Explain Texas then. $$$ is a part of the equation though.

BTW, we were apparently middle of the pack in P5 under CPJ in revenue according to this article. I don't know where we sit now:

Which are richest and poorest college football programs? New revenue figures for all 65 Power Five schools - pennlive.com
#48 Georgia Tech $42.6 million (-19)
Paul Johnson’s triple-option regime came to a weary conclusion with a 7-6 season and listless bowl loss. Yellow Jacket crowds dwindled and the program dove 19 spots from 2017 with a piddly $12.9M profit.

Last edited:
QB play: 40%
Pass rush/contain: 20%
OL: 15%
Coaching: 15%
Rest: 10%

Ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to find Geoff to blame
Remember the name

Explain Texas then. $$$ is a part of the equation though.

BTW, we were apparently middle of the pack in P5 under CPJ in revenue according to this article. I don't know where we sit now:

Which are richest and poorest college football programs? New revenue figures for all 65 Power Five schools - pennlive.com
Texas just needed the portal. Now that the portal is here, Texas can go into a star portal player's home and say "UGAg payed out $750k in NIL money last season, we payed $8 million. Now where to you want to be, next Herschel?"

Coaching/recruiting: 50%
Players performing: 30% (10% QB play, 10% OL/DL, 10% rest)
Opponent: 20%

Ratio of negative to positive posts on fan message boards: 35%
Percentage of fans wearing correct colors: 20% (this goes up to 50% for whiteouts/goldouts/whatever)
Feelings of alumni towards sidewalk fans: 15%
Playing on turf or real grass: 15%
Uniform design: 10%
Number of tight ends on roster: 5%

Back