What Happened to ACC Football?

Bowdon Rambler

Varsity Lurker
I am watching Tech and Clemson from 1999. My question isnt just because of this game. It is just me remembering the conference back then. We dominated UGA for three years. FSU was great. Many other ACC teams were consistently good. The ACC was the place to be during that time. What has happened? I know Gailey hurt us at Tech which was a bad hire after the disappointing loss of Oleary. What else is the source of decline? I have read from insiders on Rivals that the SEC spends alot more on recruiting than the ACC. Is that not something the Acc can fix? I have heard that Tech is fixing to offer more courses and spend more on assistant coaches in order to bring in better recruits.
When we added Miami, VT, and BC I was very excited. That hasnt paid off. Who has the answers? Who has done the research?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

p5LSS.gif

I am watching Tech and Clemson from 1999. My question isnt just because of this game. It is just me remembering the conference back then. We dominated UGA for three years. FSU was great. Many other ACC teams were consistently good. The ACC was the place to be during that time. What has happened? I know Gailey hurt us at Tech which was a bad hire after the disappointing loss of Oleary. What else is the source of decline? I have read from insiders on Rivals that the SEC spends alot more on recruiting than the ACC. Is that not something the Acc can fix? I have heard that Tech is fixing to offer more courses and spend more on assistant coaches in order to bring in better recruits.
When we added Miami, VT, and BC I was very excited. That hasnt paid off. Who has the answers? Who has done the research?

Ah yes, the glory years of the ACC also known as the FSU + 8 retart midget conference.

The ACC is the same as it's always been just doesn't have the a program like FSU from the 90s/early-2000s that dominate on the national stage.

Ah yes, the glory years of the ACC also known as the FSU + 8 retart midget conference.

The ACC is the same as it's always been just doesn't have the a program like FSU from the 90s/early-2000s that dominate on the national stage.

like FSU.. like Miami... like UVA.. like Clemson.. like GT.. like UNC.. the whole conference is down..

guys, i heard that next year the ACC is back.

along with dah U, FSU, and ND

I strongly disagree. In the 90's the Acc didnt constantly get whipped by other conferences. I know that FSU was great and dominated. That didnt mean that the rest of the league had to get owned by every other conference.

guys, i heard that next year the ACC is back.

along with dah U, FSU, and ND

I would leave the U off that list. They got destroyed by Notre Dame and Kansas State. There biggest win was against a very average tech team with a division two QB

SEC Dominance happened to ACC football.

I have read from insiders on Rivals that the SEC spends alot more on recruiting than the ACC. Is that not something the Acc can fix? I have heard that Tech is fixing to offer more courses and spend more on assistant coaches in order to bring in better recruits.

I understand the frustration, but question some of the things you've heard. First, I doubt we - i.e., Tech - will ever be able to spend as much on recruiting as the big SEC schools like UGA, ALA, AUB, LSU, etc. Both our alumni base and our fan base are much smaller than theirs. Our best hope would be a very wealthy fan or alumnus who decides to take our program under his wing, like Boone Pickens did at Oklahoma State.

I can't speak for the rest of the ACC, but I expect the same is true except for perhaps the Clemsons, FSUs, Miamis, and perhaps VTs.

Also, where have you hear that Tech will offer more courses to attract football recruits? That would be nice, but I'm not sure it's happening.

$urely there is $ome rea$on why the $EC and some other $chools have $urpa$$ed the ACC recently ... $ome other focu$ or factor that has been injected into the $y$tem ... I can't quite put my finger on it though

Because when a SEC school pays a player's dad $200,000 an ACC school gets investigated.

You must have incredibly selective memory. Looking to Sagarin's rankings by conference since 1998, it's clear that the ACC was never the place to be. We had a single representative in the elite schools (FSU). There was a shuffling of a couple schools in and out of the top 25. There were typically 3 good teams - not much unlike it is now.

Our "domination" of uga is clearly the exception, not the rule. Look at our record in the 20-30 years before and since.

A good Miami and BC would do nothing but make it harder for us to compete. We are having a hard enough time as is.

It's a combination of (1) $$$ (to me it's not the TV contracts but the facts that our fans suck); (2) coaching (as a result of the $$, our assistants and coordinators aren't as good); (3) recruiting (less money and worse assistants and worse atmosphere = poor recruiting).

The main thing to me is it starts with us. If GT averaged 85k a game and was the place to be in Atlanta, we'd have a ton more money, could spend it on better coaches, and as a result of both of those things get better recruits. People always blame GT academics for why we don't get recruits. Not so. It's because, given the option, players are going to want to play in front of 90k people, not 40k. If we had more and better fans most of our problems would take care of themselves.

1998 - ACC is 6th. Besides #3 FSU, we have #21 GT, #22 uva, and #38 NC St. No other team is in the top 40. Beside North Carolina (#45), no other team is in the top 70. Clemson is a monstrous 3-8.

1999 - We are 3rd with FSU, GT, and Clemson in the top 25. Virginia and Wake are top 40. NCSt and Maryland are top 60.

2000 - Back down to 6th. Again FSU (3), GT (14), Clemson (15) are the only decent schools. NC St is the only other in the top 50.

2001 - 4th. FSU (9), Maryland (10), UNC (23), us (26) are decent. Cimpson (41), NC ST (43) round out the top 50.

2002 - 4th. FSU (11), Maryland (13), NC St (14), uva (29) top 30. Us, Wake, Clem in the top 50.

I understand the frustration, but question some of the things you've heard. First, I doubt we - i.e., Tech - will ever be able to spend as much on recruiting as the big SEC schools like UGA, ALA, AUB, LSU, etc. Both our alumni base and our fan base are much smaller than theirs. Our best hope would be a very wealthy fan or alumnus who decides to take our program under his wing, like Boone Pickens did at Oklahoma State.

I can't speak for the rest of the ACC, but I expect the same is true except for perhaps the Clemsons, FSUs, Miamis, and perhaps VTs.

Also, where have you hear that Tech will offer more courses to attract football recruits? That would be nice, but I'm not sure it's happening.

If the schools you are naming are spending that money, where is the results? The rumor i heard about Tech was from the insider that covers Tech for rivals. He seems to have the inside story more than anyone who covers Tech. I think we have an athletic director that doesnt except mediocrity. I hope we can keep him around.

You must have incredibly selective memory. Looking to Sagarin's rankings by conference since 1998, it's clear that the ACC was never the place to be. We had a single representative in the elite schools (FSU). There was a shuffling of a couple schools in and out of the top 25. There were typically 3 good teams - not much unlike it is now.

Our "domination" of uga is clearly the exception, not the rule. Look at our record in the 20-30 years before and since.

A good Miami and BC would do nothing but make it harder for us to compete. We are having a hard enough time as is.

It's a combination of (1) $$$ (to me it's not the TV contracts but the facts that our fans suck); (2) coaching (as a result of the $$, our assistants and coordinators aren't as good); (3) recruiting (less money and worse assistants and worse atmosphere = poor recruiting).

The main thing to me is it starts with us. If GT averaged 85k a game and was the place to be in Atlanta, we'd have a ton more money, could spend it on better coaches, and as a result of both of those things get better recruits. People always blame GT academics for why we don't get recruits. Not so. It's because, given the option, players are going to want to play in front of 90k people, not 40k. If we had more and better fans most of our problems would take care of themselves.

1998 - ACC is 6th. Besides #3 FSU, we have #21 GT, #22 uva, and #38 NC St. No other team is in the top 40. Beside North Carolina (#45), no other team is in the top 70. Clemson is a monstrous 3-8.

1999 - We are 3rd with FSU, GT, and Clemson in the top 25. Virginia and Wake are top 40. NCSt and Maryland are top 60.

2000 - Back down to 6th. Again FSU (3), GT (14), Clemson (15) are the only decent schools. NC St is the only other in the top 50.

2001 - 4th. FSU (9), Maryland (10), UNC (23), us (26) are decent. Cimpson (41), NC ST (43) round out the top 50.

2002 - 4th. FSU (11), Maryland (13), NC St (14), uva (29) top 30. Us, Wake, Clem in the top 50.

Nice post

Here's a list of the current starting NFL QBs with their college conference affiliation. I used the current conference alignment, not where the school was when the QB was drafted - too messy. I put Wilson in the ACC because that's where he played the majority of his career.

ACC (7)
Russell Wilson
Michael Vick
Matt Schaub
Philip Rivers
Christian Ponder
Matt Ryan
Matt Hasselbeck

SEC (7)
Jay Cutler
Ryan Tannehill
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Blaine Gabbert
Matthew Stafford
Cam Newton

PAC12 (5)
Alex Smith
Mark Sanchez
Carson Palmer
Andrew Luck
Arron Rodgers

BIG12 (5)
Andy Dalton
Brandon Weeden
Sam Bradford
Josh Freeman
R.G. III

FCS (4)
Ryan Fitzpatrick
John Skelton
Tony Romo
Joe Flacco

BIG TEN (2)
Drew Brees
Tom Brady

MAC
Ben Rothlisberger

Independent
Brady Quinn

What if anything does it tell us about the ACC?

Here's a list of the current starting NFL QBs with their college conference affiliation. I used the current conference alignment, not where the school was when the QB was drafted - too messy. I put Wilson in the ACC because that's where he played the majority of his career.

ACC
Russell Wilson
Michael Vick
Matt Schaub
Philip Rivers
Christian Ponder
Matt Ryan
Matt Hasselbeck

SEC
Jay Cutler
Ryan Tannehill
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Blaine Gabbert
Matthew Stafford
Cam Newton

PAC12
Alex Smith
Mark Sanchez
Carson Palmer
Andrew Luck
Arron Rodgers

BIG12
Andy Dalton
Brandon Weeden
Sam Bradford
Josh Freeman
R.G. III

FCS
Ryan Fitzpatrick
John Skelton
Tony Romo
Joe Flacco

BIG TEN
Drew Brees
Tom Brady

MAC
Ben Rothlisberger

Independent
Brady Quinn

What if anything does it tell us about the ACC?

QBs are often smarter and smarter kids play for ACC schools... you'll find alot more SEC kids in teh trenches

Back