What Happened to ACC Football?

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
QBs are often smarter and smarter kids play for ACC schools... you'll find alot more SEC kids in teh trenches
You can't use Mike Vick as a basis for any sort of "Smarter" claim.

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
I think it’s actually a combination of many things why the SEC is more successful:
• Over signing – This hurts two ways: 1) What they over sign takes talent away from the ACC. 2) When they lose talent because of attrition it doesn't hurt their depth
• Depth – The SEC builds depth on the lines and skill positions. A big ugly goes down there are two or three others ready to fill in.
• Curriculum – Most SEC schools don’t give two sh!ts about academics or real degrees. A lot of people who shouldn't be in college are
• NCAA – The NCAA looks the other way with violations that we all know are happening. I mean it’s not like their coaches have just such great personalities they get all the talent
• Reputation – Almost all SEC schools are big state schools that really care about football. They rank like 4-5 teams in the preseason top 10's because this alone.
• Fan base – The SEC has the largest fan bases thus more appealing for TV contracts, merchandise sales, tickets, etc. More money means bigger budgets for coaches, facilities, recruiting
• ESPN – They’re totally biased and push their product, the SEC, more than any other conference. We were told the SEC is the best, over and over, and people started to believe it. Now it’s a reality.
It’s become a giant snowball that leaves most conferences on the outside looking in, but it hurts the ACC the most because of proximity. The only thing I see stopping it is the NCAA or some other network competing with the ESPN.

floridajacket

The Real DB Cooper
The talent level throughout the ACC has traditionally been fine, especially at FSU, Clemson and Miami (even today). The issue is even these schools don't have money that SEC schools do. SEC schools make stupid hiring decisions for the same reasons boards can hire bad CEO's, but eventually their money wins out the most successful coaches from around the nation.

Bogey

Jolly Good Fellow
I am watching Tech and Clemson from 1999. My question isnt just because of this game. It is just me remembering the conference back then. We dominated UGA for three years. FSU was great. Many other ACC teams were consistently good. The ACC was the place to be during that time. What has happened? I know Gailey hurt us at Tech which was a bad hire after the disappointing loss of Oleary. What else is the source of decline? I have read from insiders on Rivals that the SEC spends alot more on recruiting than the ACC. Is that not something the Acc can fix? I have heard that Tech is fixing to offer more courses and spend more on assistant coaches in order to bring in better recruits.
When we added Miami, VT, and BC I was very excited. That hasnt paid off. Who has the answers? Who has done the research?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Answer:
1) ESPN, with TV big money
2) Corrupted NCAA officials
3) Corrupted college presidents seeking big money
Personally, I am thankful for the ACC

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
This thread is much better than all of the other What Happened to the ACC threads.

However, the real question is: What happened to ACC Basketball?

TechPreacher

Flats Noob
The only thing that can be done on the collegiate level to even the playing field is to drastically reduce the number of scholarships or to raise the NCAA minimum requirements.

On the pro level, the NFL could remove their age limit.

Other than that, it is what it is.

CharlotteJacket

Varsity Lurker
$urely there is $ome rea$on why the $EC and some other $chools have $urpa$$ed the ACC recently ... $ome other focu$ or factor that has been injected into the $y$tem ... I can't quite put my finger on it though
I see what you did there...

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Here's why:

1) The NCAA now uses a progress to degree rule which was in its infancy back then. The rule was intended to make football schools actually send kids to class. Instead it makes academic schools that need five years to graduate struggle.

It also completely takes away any JC options. The SEC plugs their holes annually with JC players. The ACC has to go recruit and wait four years. This rule is killing Tech.

2) Flunkgate. No school can be blamed more for the ACC's poor performance the last decade than Tech. Don't look at anyone else. It's us. What started it? Flunkgate. What's continuiing it? $35 shoes.

3) The SEC. The SEC realized that they better compete immediately with the ACC. Just like Romney with Obama, the ACC plays way too nice.

In recruiting, the SEC has been taking 25-30 recruits almost annually per school. The big boys, LSU and Bama, have taken 135 kids the last five years to Tech's 100. Hmmm, I think Navy could compete with Bama if they got 135 v 100.

4) Timing. The new deals happening in TV pushed ESPN to become SECSPN. It could have been us but due to poor timing, it's them.

5) Arrogance. I think as the ACC is being put together, everyone looks around and sees only academic schools now. It used to be a mixture, but I think it's easier now for schools to feel good competing with BC, Wake, Pitt, Duke, UNC, UVA and act like you are somebody.

As to other issues I've read here such as number of fans, etc., those are effects, not causes.

QuadF

Dodd-Like
i think the collegiate football landscape is more balanced than we think. however, until we have a playoff, long term perception wins. boise st was denied a chance to see how good they really are twice now because people said there's no way david could beat goliath.

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
Here's why:

1) The NCAA now uses a progress to degree rule which was in its infancy back then. The rule was intended to make football schools actually send kids to class. Instead it makes academic schools that need five years to graduate struggle.

It also completely takes away any JC options. The SEC plugs their holes annually with JC players. The ACC has to go recruit and wait four years. This rule is killing Tech.

2) Flunkgate. No school can be blamed more for the ACC's poor performance the last decade than Tech. Don't look at anyone else. It's us. What started it? Flunkgate. What's continuiing it? $35 shoes.

3) The SEC. The SEC realized that they better compete immediately with the ACC. Just like Romney with Obama, the ACC plays way too nice.

In recruiting, the SEC has been taking 25-30 recruits almost annually per school. The big boys, LSU and Bama, have taken 135 kids the last five years to Tech's 100. Hmmm, I think Navy could compete with Bama if they got 135 v 100.

4) Timing. The new deals happening in TV pushed ESPN to become SECSPN. It could have been us but due to poor timing, it's them.

5) Arrogance. I think as the ACC is being put together, everyone looks around and sees only academic schools now. It used to be a mixture, but I think it's easier now for schools to feel good competing with BC, Wake, Pitt, Duke, UNC, UVA and act like you are somebody.

As to other issues I've read here such as number of fans, etc., those are effects, not causes.
I think they had the large fan bases way before my lifetime. Every state they're in they have that state's main university, and each one of those states treat college football like a religion, with the exception of Kentucky.

gt2690b

PB time!
I think they had the large fan bases way before my lifetime. Every state they're in they have that state's main university, and each one of those states treat college football like a religion, with the exception of Kentucky.
main one in texas is UT.. it could be aurgued the main one in florida and south carolina is FSU and Clemson... that really only leaves georgia as their are no acc schools in bama or mississippi

gt2690b

PB time!
Here's why:

Navy offered 61 kids for the 2013 class.. they have no scholarship limit

samsgt02

Dodd-Like
main one in texas is UT.. it could be aurgued the main one in florida and south carolina is FSU and Clemson... that really only leaves georgia as their are no acc schools in bama or mississippi
Yeah I forgot about TAM and Mizzou. I'm not talking states that have have SEC and ACC schools. I was refering to the conferences as a whole. I don't think UNC, UVA, UMd, or BC care nearly as much about football as UF, SC, UGA, Alabama, UT, Arkansas, Ole Miss or LSU was my point.