What happened to our deep ball?

JRJacket

Flats Noob
Most of Brown’s 7 TD’s last year came off the deep ball. Seems to have disappeared... Is it play calling this year, or Sims not seeing the deep routes, or Sims unable to make those throws?

Hard to Complain because he throws lasers, but there’s definitely times that Sims needs to put some more air under the ball.

I recollect that the vast majority of those deep throws were more like "let's see how far we can chunk it down field" and Brown happened to be camping underneath. I say let's master the short to intermediate passing game, and then the deep ball can be added. I think the offensive line is still a work in progress, so maybe the coaching staff doesn't want to get their QB of the future killed.

Sims will get it in time. Remember, it was only 10 months ago he was playing high school games. And with his talent you can imagine in high school he just ran past everyone or threw to wide open guys. Losing spring didn’t help either. I have no worry that we’ll see the long ball re-emerge.

It’s on Sims. The coaching staff adjusted over the bye because teams were simply not respecting our deep ball. Hopefully he continues working on it and gets it down.

We are among the leaders in the country in sacks conceded per game. This is not b/c our OL has magically developed pass protection in one off season. It’s because Patenaude realizes we have a developing OL and true frosh QB and tries to scheme him quick throws and reads. This has allowed us to move the ball somewhat methodically while limiting our ability to look deep. Probably a positive trade off overall given our current circumstances.

I will probably get hammered for this; but I think SIms has depth perception problems; which leads to him having trouble leading target or hitting a target the further away it is. I would have him checked by an optometrist, You might see a dramatic difference in his passing ability through a simple prescription of contacts.

:crapstorm:

I will probably get hammered for this; but I think SIms has depth perception problems; which leads to him having trouble leading target or hitting a target the further away it is. I would have him checked by an optometrist, You might see a dramatic difference in his passing ability through a simple prescription of contacts.

giphy.gif

We are among the leaders in the country in sacks conceded per game. This is not b/c our OL has magically developed pass protection in one off season. It’s because Patenaude realizes we have a developing OL and true frosh QB and tries to scheme him quick throws and reads. This has allowed us to move the ball somewhat methodically while limiting our ability to look deep. Probably a positive trade off overall given our current circumstances.

They're actually pretty good. Very few missed assignments in pass pro. But we aren't trying to hold the ball for long, and Sims is very natural at escaping the pocket. Most pressures of any kind are someone getting in his face instantly.

You have to take what they give you and with blitz pressure you have to throw short to survive. I also wish he would flush and run more when they are in man coverage because he is a wonderful runner.

Yeah. There is zero evidence of that.

Ralph told me Dez White had depth perception problems, and you could see it in the patterns they had him run which were basically ball coming catch it when it gets there. But Sims could not do half of what he does in the shallow and mid range if he had depth perception problems.

They're actually pretty good. Very few missed assignments in pass pro. But we aren't trying to hold the ball for long, and Sims is very natural at escaping the pocket. Most pressures of any kind are someone getting in his face instantly.

Did you see the last presser with CGC? The "last" question was all hai Jeffy OL sucked agin the Cuze but improved so much this week ur commints? Geoff got hot, in his Geoff way, and he made some good points about the unit's performance all year. Then he made Mike Flynn take another question cuz he did not want to end the presser on anything but a happy happy joy joy note.

Conjecture!

Jeff “Wild Thing” Sims?
EA3A17E9-BE2D-4499-8414-85FCCA394881.jpeg

Back