What if (CCG scenario)....

ContactBuzz

Probably Drinks Cosmopolitans
What if Ball comes out and takes some lumps like a true FR will but proves to be a better team leader (with an equal or better skill set than Bilbo & Suggs) and consistently improves throughout the season? What if the team fails to make a bowl but shows improvement and competes week in-week out instead of quitting like we did in the last 2 games? What if the recruiting momemtum continues and we end up with a class that competes with (or exceeds) GO'Ls top classes?

How will those scenarios effect your perception of CCG?

As for me, it will improve said perception, moving it up (in my rating scheme) from an HC3 to an HC2, or better, depending on results. But, then again, under the scenario you pose, could any other result be possible? Exponential improvement from game to game would be wonderful. Linear improvement over the entire season, even, with a small m, would be acceptable. Its just that things can not stay the same or get worse. And credit, or blame, for the results can only be directed towards the head coach. If he wants to share any credit, then good for him. But if he tries to shift any blame, then shame on him. I hope that answers your question.

Man, those are great "what-ifs". I would certainly change my tune on Gailey with such improvements (and those improvements are often perceptible by us average fans, even if the team only wins 4 or 5).

W/L's may not be as important this year. We want to go to a bowl every year (and keep our streak alive), but its important to be realistic about where this team appears to be at. I'd say that based on how last season ended, if the effort is there and there is improvement then you've got to respect that. At that point it may be clear to see that the program is heading in a good direction.

Originally posted by swGAboy:
W/L's may not be as important this year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Why don't we designate every game an exhibition then? Wins and Losses are damn important, I understand your point, but this team will be measured on its results, not on how much it improves.

Contact, just how will we ever know who has the better skill/leadership skills? THWG

Originally posted by GoldZ:
Contact, just how will we ever know who has the better skill/leadership skills? THWG
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just looking at our last 3 QB's (li'l joe, goose, and suggs) it's pretty apparent to me which ones displayed leadership abilities and which didn't. I know it's cliche but if you make the players around you better, then you're a leader.

We don't know now if Ball has better leadership ablities it won't take long to find out.

Originally posted by deacjacket:
Man, those are great "what-ifs". I would certainly change my tune on Gailey with such improvements (and those improvements are often perceptible by us average fans, even if the team only wins 4 or 5).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If this was meant as sarcasm:

I don't think any of my "what-ifs" are far-fetched. Ball is not going to step onto the field where Li'l Joe (since everyone else is making the comparison) left off. But, (based on Ball's work ethic, confidence, and will) it's not unreasonable to believe the he can come in take control of a team that has lacked leadership at the QB position. If we can get steady (or better) play out of the QB position I think "what-if" #2 takes care of itself.

As far as recruiting is concerned, I am confident in CCG (and staff)'s ability to evaluate talent. The current list of commitments are the beginning of a very strong class, IMO.

I've got a what-if for YOU.

What if we get waxed by BYU and Ball either gets hurt or falls apart?

What if Georgia beats our ass equally as bad as last year?

What if our kids try their hardest but can't overcome the huge holes blown in the roster from a depth perspective and we are forced to play even more freshman before they are ready?

What if Gailey and Braine do a repeat II and go into shutdown mode again and alienate even more of the Tech community?

Actually Contact, my point was how will we ever know what Bilbo's leadership skills are? See Andy Hall thread. THWG

Originally posted by Father WASP:

What if our kids try their hardest but can't overcome the huge holes blown in the roster from a depth perspective and we are forced to play even more freshman before they are ready?

What if Gailey and Braine do a repeat II and go into shutdown mode again and alienate even more of the Tech community?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The only reasonable "what-if" is the one about overcoming our depth problems. There is nothing wrong with playing more freshmen than necessary - xCGO'L did it in '99 (Muyres, Collins, Hester, Manget, Wimbush, etc.). If we aren't able to overcome the depth problems then we move more into a rebuilding phase than any of us want (which is what my original post focuses on but positively, rather than negatively).

Now, to the more ridiculous scenarios:

I refuse to answer your "what-if" about a specific SA being injured. Injuries are a part of the game and I'm sure we'll have our share but for the sake of the SAs, I'm not going to attempt to predict or anticipate an injury to any player (much less a GT player).
rolleyes.gif
If Ball falls apart against BYU? I guess we have a QB competition once again - but we already know how the other QBs handle game situations.

If UGAg hands us another 51-7 (or worse) and we've given up halfway through the game then it might be time to make a change. However, a change in continuity will only make our situation worse, especially with UM and VT joining the ACC next year. (I'm willing to answer your questions with a direct answer after you've hijacked my thread - yet I didn't see any answers to my question
wtf.gif
).

I'll leave the Braine/Gailey P.R. scenario alone - it's outside of the parameters of this thread.

I know you asked someone else, but anything on the board is fair game?

(What if we wax BYU, Ball plays a great game and does not get hurt?)

(What if we beat Georgia this year?)

(What if we play who we have available and are moderately successful?)

(Who cares if win!) (If we win, he can take off and go fishing, as far as I am concerned)

Father Time

Originally posted by GoldZ:
Actually Contact, my point was how will we ever know what Bilbo's leadership skills are? See Andy Hall thread. THWG
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If the guys haven't shown the ability to get it done in practice, why should we trust them to get it done on Saturdays? Also, Bilbo was given gametime experience last year and didn't exactly display the decision making or leadership skills that we need out of the QB position.

I do consider myself a FOC'er but I still have questions and doubts about CCG. I do trust in his ability to assess talent - from what I've seen so far I think that's his biggest strength as HC.

Point was Contact that rarely does a team have the luxury of one qb taking all the snaps from start to finish. Even a bell ringer is going to place a call to your #2 guy. Guess what? Here comes Suggs.

Point was Contact that rarely does a team have the luxury of one qb taking all the snaps from start to finish. Even a bell ringer is going to place a call to your #2 guy. Guess what? Here comes Suggs and we are right back where we started.

After evaluating for a complete season, you would think if Bilbo can't do it now, he couldn't be entrusted to help us win vs. Fresno with even more limited experience.

As to the response above re Andy Hall, a fine QB, tough competitor who could have helped us. Glad things worked out for him and are going well.

Gentlemen, we do not have to have "our share of the injuries." We had more than our share last year. Lets pray for God to shield our guys from injuries.
smile.gif

Back