What to do about opt-outs?

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Seems like there are a lot more opt-outs this year, to the detriment of quality football.

What could/should be done to cut down on the opt outs? Seems like if you decide you’re done playing, the team ought to be done with you - no bowl trip, scholarship pulled, GTFO.

Maybe someday we’ll get back to the point where players play for an education and for their team and not just as an NFL apprenticeship.

JRjr

Seems like there are a lot more opt-outs this year, to the detriment of quality football.

What could/should be done to cut down on the opt outs? Seems like if you decide you’re done playing, the team ought to be done with you - no bowl trip, scholarship pulled, GTFO.

Maybe someday we’ll get back to the point where players play for an education and for their team and not just as an NFL apprenticeship.

JRjr
NIL $$$ must be returned or donated to charity.

1640826175757.png

JRjr
AMEN!!!. I say if you opt out not to play in a bowl game, then you are done with the team as far as I am concerned, like you said GTFO!!!

JRjr
I agree it's bad. I realize most teams don't want to create bad blood with players who may end up playing professionally, but I can't imagine players are happy about losing the contribution of their most talented teammates. What happened to "There's no I in TEAM"? Sad state of affairs...

Once upon a time schools could take out injury insurance to cover the prospective earnings (or at least some of them) for their most talented players. Is that still a thing? Seems like that would be a good compromise to this problem.

I agree with the sentiment but the schools no longer have backbones and the word “no” is no longer allowed. All a fan can do is talk with their dollars (or lack of dollars to schools). In the old days it would have been, clean out your locker and turn in your key and don’t come back. Now, the schools have to pretend to care and support so they won’t get roasted in the press or social media.

Once upon a time schools could take out injury insurance to cover the prospective earnings (or at least some of them) for their most talented players. Is that still a thing? Seems like that would be a good compromise to this problem.

Pretty sure that that is still available for college players likely to get drafted. From the player’s perspective, if they aren’t in the playoffs, then they can start training for the most important “job interview” they’ll have—the combine.

Outside of the playoffs, the games really are (for the most part) meaningless exhibition games. You could make a mint gambling if you knew which teams are excited to be there and which don’t care. We’ve certainly seen GT on both sides of this during bowl season in the past.

I don’t see what leverage the schools have here. Pull the scholly? Won’t matter to the player going to the combine and could lead to ill will for recruiting purposes.

A lot of people complaining about the state of college football are probably the same ones who were in favor of the NIL and the whole "pay the players" movement. Now maybe that everyone will see that reality we can realize it was a bad idea and go back to the way things were?

A lot of people complaining about the state of college football are probably the same ones who were in favor of the NIL and the whole "pay the players" movement. Now maybe that everyone will see that reality we can realize it was a bad idea and go back to the way things were?

Not me, I think NIL is also a bad thing for the game in general and Tech in particular.

JRjr

Now maybe that everyone will see that reality we can realize it was a bad idea and go back to the way things were?

You gotta a time machine? College football has been a big business for several decades now. The NIL and portal just removes any of the thin veneer that may have existed.

Question is whether this accelerates a break away super conference of the roughly 25-30 teams that can or want to compete in the next several years.

Outside of the playoffs, the games really are (for the most part) meaningless exhibition games. You could make a mint gambling if you knew which teams are excited to be there and which don’t care. We’ve certainly seen GT on both sides of this during bowl season in the past.
Talking about the 'meaning' of college football games befuddles me. You might as well be talking about the 'meaning' of life. What is the meaning of your job, your family, your favorite TV show?

But I completely agree that teams' motivation varies wildly. However, that is not limited to bowl season, not by a long shot.

I don’t advocate pulling schollies, but the player shouldn’t be allowed to travel to the bowl, dress with the team, and stand on the sidelines.
Eh. The bowl is a "reward" for the effort in the regular season. Player meetings can resolve any hard feelings about quitters

I don’t advocate pulling schollies, but the player shouldn’t be allowed to travel to the bowl, dress with the team, and stand on the sidelines.
They do this?

If a player opts out then he has no place on the sideline. That has to breed contempt and bad morale.

Back