What to expect from CGC per ESPN

Discussion in 'Football' started by ee8384, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ee8384

ee8384 Cynic At-Large

Loc:
    Past the point of caring
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    https://www.espn.com/college-footba...io-state-kansas-expect-every-first-year-coach

"Safe to say, Collins has the energy to withstand a reset year. The Waffle House-loving, coffee-powered former SEC defensive coordinator and Temple head coach waited a while to get this opportunity, and his first Yellow Jackets squad is going to require all sorts of perseverance.

First, he has to transition his offensive personnel from Paul Johnson's spread option to something a little more standard. Whether he has the quarterback, receivers or offensive line to do so remains to be seen. Second, he has to figure out how to turn around a defense that ranked 100th in defensive S&P+ and must replace both its top four overall tacklers and its top four linemen. This is going to be a crazy-young team, and though Collins' early recruiting returns are intriguing (he's brought in a wave of transfers), this is probably too much newness to provide wins any time soon."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Deke

Deke Everybody relax, I'm here.

Loc:
    Nashville
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Oof, that was a longer scroll to find us than I was hoping (not too surprising though).

• Like Like x 1
  3. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Nothing new. It's Bill Connelly using his same data to milk yet another article out of it.

4. lawtool1

lawtool1 Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Birmingham, AL
    Team:
    GT
    what a joke....I can't wait until we beat the sh#t out of mack brown and unc.

• Like Like x 4
  5. originalwombat

originalwombat Flats Noob

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I thought that was one of the better assessments, actually.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Techbert

Techbert Dodd-Like

This is the conventional wisdom, gleaned from the theory of the daunting change from spread option to conventional college offense and a few looks in the early spring.

No one in media, except some hot take artists who do not have stable jobs, will vary from this conventional wisdom, cuz it unnecessarily puts their reputations on the line. It is a game where you do not gain if you are right but you lose big if you are too far outside conventional wisdom and it fails to materialize in Year 1. So everyone falls in line. You will not find any other take by anyone national or with a comfortable local media gig.

Everyone will predict a 2 or 3 win season.

So every year someone steps up and surprises the conventional wisdom, and the media sez, "No one saw that coming." And if someone DID see it coming they better bury that fact or everyone else will turn against him for showing them up.

I dunno what we will do this year. I know we are ahead of schedule. And the thing about young teams is they can outplay expectations and not realize they are supposed to fall back to earth. The most likely scenario is we start slow, unable to do certain basic things like snap count discipline, gain momentum until we are playing damn good ball, and then fall back when enough injuries unmask our lack of depth. Then, if we make a bowl, we will be matched with someone worse than us and we come out (with a lot of injury return) breathing fire and dominate them.

7. gt2690b

gt2690b Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Highlands Ranch
    Team:
    GT
    Hot take

8. JoltinJacket

JoltinJacket Dodd-Like

Loc:
    West Cobb
    Team:
    The Jackets
    The new blueprint has been revealed. Might as well forfeit this season away. We ain't got a chance boys.

9. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I hear teams will prepare for us by practicing with the ball.

• Like Like x 7
  10. jacket67

jacket67 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Tech Motel
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    It would be interesting to see what the expectations would be if CPJ was returning as head coach. I think this season would be expected to be a rebuilding year anyway. We have lost the best returning lineman from both sides of the ball, and we have to replace the starting QB. I don't think Tech would be expected to finish in the top half of the Coastal, even with CPJ running the offense. I just think the rest of the Coastal will be mediocre enough for us to surprise some folks, and our talent level might still get us to a bowl game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JJacket

JJacket 1st to pass for 2500 and rush for 1000

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    No reason even to line up and play, really.

Hell, our team is different. The size and definition of the players was noticable. Even Percy Harvin is getting lean and ripped, and he's just a punter. Hell, he may punt one onto North Avenue this season.

12. siggy

siggy Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The writer here actually bases a lot of his stuff on advanced analytics, which can't adjust for coaching or scheme changes. We lost, I think, the second most players from last year (after Texas). That's from a team that also wasn't seen as all that good from the per play stats.

13. johncu

johncu Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greenville, SC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Pretty good look. I am confident our staff has the work ethic and motivational skills to get us through some of the inevitable rough patches while maintaining excitement and momentum. I expect a slightly worse record than we're used to, but more excitement nonetheless.

14. gtleviathan

gtleviathan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    The Sweet Spot
    Team:
    Ga. Tech
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. ClubSeats

ClubSeats Employee of the Month

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We’re not going to punt this year. Score on every possession.

16. FLTech

FLTech Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Florida
    Team:
    GT
    We are all going to be billionaires after this season for those who gamble

17. GTRules

GTRules Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Orlando
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Go gata!

18. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We should pool some money together and max out the futures bet for Tech over _ wins on every book available until it climbs to a number where it's no longer enticing.