What type of team strategy wise do you expect to see next year.

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
Hope he doesn't mind me mentioning, but AXE brought something up in chat the other night about what he feels we'll do this season on O. He brought up some good points that I agree with.

I don't look for us to use the spread offense. Think we'll load up and pound the football more. Look for us to be in more of double tight end set.

We'll look to try to control the trenches and player field position games with tough D and special teams.

Axe brought it up and I agree with him.

Look for us to use the option more while utilizing the qb out of pocket.

Our WR group should look a lot different next year. We'll see what those guys are made of. Like who we have on campus a lot. Other than Freddie, Curry, and Thomas we don't have a lot of experience. Could get some help from this recruiting class, but I never count on true freshman. Even the best of them.

Getting solid leadership and play at QB is key. Then having a threat at RB that makes this thing go will be another key.

GO Jackets!

I think you are mostly correct. I don't think we should even attempt a spread offense until we have a QB that can execute that offense. I'll wait and see on the option part. If AJ is our quarterback, I don't see the option as viable. Maybe with Bilbo. The freshmen will have a real chance at this position.

The other variable is BOB. In 2001, he would call vanilla running plays to Burns when it was apparent that our passing game would work better. In 2002, he would go with 5 wideouts and a bombs away attack when it was apparent that we needed to run.

Anyway, if Hollings comes back anywhere near the shape he was in at the start of 2002, our running game should be solid as a rock. I hope that CG/BOB realize this and plan the offense accordingly. Smashmouth would work well if we have the hosses up front to do it.

Auburn is a bad team to break a cripple running back in. I don't think we have the strength in the OL to play smash mouth FB against Auburn. UGA couldn't run too well against them until they had some success with their passing game. But FB is a crazy game and things don't usually shakedown as we imagine they will. Many times it isn't how many
a team loses from the year before but who they lose. I remember about six or seven years ago when Tennessee beat Miami in the Sugar bowl the Vols had nine returning starters on defense and every one was talking about how awesome the Vol D
would be the next year but they were below average
because the two that they lost were exceptional players. I'm hoping that will be the case with Auburn. Man, I hope our QB's can get things going
before we play them because that could be the key to our season.

I see the same offense we used vs Vandy, UConn, BYU & Clem. That O worked pretty well, at least well enough that O'B won't abandon it.
Can't play smashmouth with our RBs. Hollings is a bounce it outside & the others just can't p/u the yards going inside. Ez will help & Dixon ought to as a Jr. But Hollings is Hollings.
The key is will AJ improve or stay what he is or will Damarious find the confidence to 'get it done' with his improving abilities(or is he still a yr away).
Another big key is can we score early in game. If we're playing behind vs BYU(1st game), Aub, FSU or Clem, then we'll throw the game plan away & air it out, a la Fresno.

When don't know if Hollings will make it back. Sure are hoping. Think he will. His first game if ready to go at start of season will be at Provo against a BYU team that's always hard to beat at home.

You're right Buck. Never can tell about teams one year from the next.

I'm not scared of AU. Respect them and think they are going to be a good team. Certainly not scared. Time to go to work!

Go Jackets!!

I hope I never hear aj suggs suggested as the starter anymore! Every time hear that I get real disheartened. Debo has all the tools you want in a qb. Just coach em. I hope we don't have to depend on a true Fr. At least we do have an exp. off. line and they are pretty good but Hugh needs to learn how to snap it!!

Originally posted by Big Buck:
Man, I hope our QB's can get things going
before we play them because that could be the key to our season.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Absolutely BB; this will be the determining factor of the season. If Our QB (whoever) is sucessful early, we shall have a successful season; if he is sucessful late, we shall have a sad season; if he is not successful, we shall have
a castrophical, cataclysmic, season. You speak with great wisdom and understanding.

I want to see more use of the TE and these big
(pro-style) WRs that Gailey has/is recruiting.

If Hollings comes back at 90% or better he'll be
one of the best RBs in the ACC but we cannot rely
on that.

We've got to stretch the field and pick on the
smallish ACC defensive backs like FSU has been
doing for years.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
Auburn is a bad team to break a cripple running back in. I don't think we have the strength in the OL to play smash mouth FB against Auburn. UGA couldn't run too well against them until they had some success with their passing game. But FB is a crazy game and things don't usually shakedown as we imagine they will. Many times it isn't how many
a team loses from the year before but who they lose. I remember about six or seven years ago when Tennessee beat Miami in the Sugar bowl the Vols had nine returning starters on defense and every one was talking about how awesome the Vol D
would be the next year but they were below average
because the two that they lost were exceptional players. I'm hoping that will be the case with Auburn. Man, I hope our QB's can get things going
before we play them because that could be the key to our season.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well, Auburn had a strange season last year. They got their butt kicked pretty good by a decent but not great Arkansas team. They barely beat a mediocre Syracuse in triple OT. They were pretty much man-handled by USC.

They also destroyed LSU and Bama. They played Georgia and Florida to the wall.

Jekyll and Hyde, IMO.

Arkansas gained 400 yards of rushing on them. I don't think we'll do that. But they aren't invincible.

IF we can get any consistent qb play...IF...we do.. then we need to run the spread. freshman or not, we could have a 6' 4" wr on one side and a 6' 7" wr on the other ( call him a te if you want) but he can run as well as a wr....put him in the slot...see how many dbs it will take to deny him the quick slant let alone the fades...throw in the speed of bridges.... smith, thomas, a healthy curry, and maybe throw in dennis davis to the o-side???....we have our own match-up problems for teams to deal with...

I'd expect to see an offense that is similar to the pro game and much more in line with Gailey's style. This would include a balanced running and passing game with more passing to the TEs and RBs in the flat. I would also expect to see more slant routes this year since we should have some big receivers who can shield the defender.

Personally, I'm sort of excited about what this offense can do next year. The QB position is the key position but I have a feeling that you'll see dramatic improvement in all facets of the offense next year.

Originally posted by GTPilot:
I'd expect to see an offense that is similar to the pro game and much more in line with Gailey's style. This would include a balanced running and passing game with more passing to the TEs and RBs in the flat. I would also expect to see more slant routes this year since we should have some big receivers who can shield the defender.

Personally, I'm sort of excited about what this offense can do next year. The QB position is the key position but I have a feeling that you'll see dramatic improvement in all facets of the offense next year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Interesting point regarding the slant route. Would love to see that myself. It's a tough pass and catch on the sidelines. Understand the matchup, and it's usually a quicker throw which helps in protection. If you can take a lick over the middle that's an easier throw. Sometimes more risky depending on coverage. As we all have seen too many times the outs and flies are risky too if under thrown and late. Want to see us use more of the field this year. As mentioned in the thread TE can help in this area.

Go Jackets!

bugboy, you are absolutely correct about Auburn being inconsistent. I had completely forgotten about the Arkansas route of Auburn when Arkansas didn't have but a handful of passing yardage but the way they ran the ball they didn't have to throw it. I have been told that the team was not on the same page until they settled on a Qb. The guy didn't say it but inferred they had the same problems that we had when we had Luginbill and Donnie Davis. Whether the guy was just talking or not, I did notice when they settled on the QB their team took off. Of course if a person talks enough some of the things they predict has to come true.

Like it or not, a team is usually just as good as their last game. In Auburn's case, that was a solid win over a pretty good Penn State team and the best rusher in the country, Larry Johnson. Before that they outmuscled a strong Alabama team and played Georgia practically even.

I really feel like Auburn is a team on the rise and will come into BDS with guns a blazin. They've got a rock solid defense with linebackers that are as good as any in the country and a pretty strong rush defense and secondary. Offensively, they have multiple weapons to run the ball down your throat. They probably will have more rushing weapons than we'll see all year. Campbell at QB is coming into his own and is himself a threat to run or throw.

It's gonna take a solid, consistent, error free game for us to hang with them.

Of course, I could be all wrong about all this since first games are so tough to predict. We could get lucky and pull out an improbable win.

grin.gif

In my opinion how we play against BYU will have a lot to do with how we play AU. A good showing in Provo could really help GT's confidence. We work our tails off during the off season getting on the same page as a team for success. Handle BYU, and things will be a lot different when AU comes to town.

GO Jackets!

Well men with the OC we have I am going to post a negative. I don't think we will have an offense with BOB at the helm so why speculate.

Gentlemen, I agree with oldfoggy. If BOB does his same old same old, we get outmuscled and whipped by BYU. Also IMO if we go with a pro-style offense, then suggs continues to increase his interception records.

I just feel like we need a total change in offensive philosophy. Perhaps we could commit early to a running QB, out of the pocket, option style that adds another potential runner and opens up the short passes.

Originally posted by bugboy:
Well, Auburn had a strange season last year. They got their butt kicked pretty good by a decent but not great Arkansas team. They barely beat a mediocre Syracuse in triple OT. They were pretty much man-handled by USC.

They also destroyed LSU and Bama. They played Georgia and Florida to the wall.

Jekyll and Hyde, IMO.

Arkansas gained 400 yards of rushing on them. I don't think we'll do that. But they aren't invincible.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bugboy - I went to the Auburn/Arkansas game last year. Arkansas did run all over Auburn but most of the yards were on several long runs in the 2nd half. Arkansas was able to go solely to the running game after getting the lead on sloppy play by Auburn. As the game continued, Auburn went away from their strengths (running & defense) and continued to turn the ball over to Ark (thru TOs or 3 'n outs).

We can't expect to walk onto the field and run it down their throats. If the game dictates it (like the Auburn/Arkansas game) then great - that will work to our favor. Auburn will be a very physical team (similar to UGAg). If we're not ready for it, we're in trouble (again, similar to UGAg).

Originally posted by ContactBuzz:
Bugboy - I went to the Auburn/Arkansas game last year. Arkansas did run all over Auburn but most of the yards were on several long runs in the 2nd half. Arkansas was able to go solely to the running game after getting the lead on sloppy play by Auburn. As the game continued, Auburn went away from their strengths (running & defense) and continued to turn the ball over to Ark (thru TOs or 3 'n outs).

We can't expect to walk onto the field and run it down their throats. If the game dictates it (like the Auburn/Arkansas game) then great - that will work to our favor. Auburn will be a very physical team (similar to UGAg). If we're not ready for it, we're in trouble (again, similar to UGAg).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't think we'll just jam it down their throat either. I said so in my original post. I just think there is an opportunity there if we have a healthy Hollings to do some damage with the running game. Even Musa Smith of UGA got 90 yards on 15 carries against them.

I guess my worry about that game is if we're forced to pass, we're in trouble. We don't have the QB play right now to beat a really good team like Auburn through the air. If they take away our running game, we're in trouble.

Back