What's The Likelihood Moses Wright Return Another Year?

The Jacket

The Coat
Yes, the G is for Gatorade, who sponsors everything to do with that league.

”Today we have the Salt Lake City Gatorades vs. the College Park Gatorades in the Gatorade Game of the Week, sponsored by Gatorade.” When you get called up to the NBA, it’s called a “Gatorade Call-Up”, for example.

The problem with the G-league is that it pays $35k / year and you have to pay all of your own housing, food, nutrition, etc. You’re probably better off staying in college with free housing, free food, free S&C, free gear, and more visibility (more people watch NCAAM than G-League).
Good lord. Sounds like most of the compensation is "exposure"

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
You also need to factor in the long-term value of an MBA or other Masters degree if you stay.

I'd assume we allow any of our student athlete graduates to come back for their MBA once their playing days are over. A lot of the value in MBA is in networking so I'm not sure how great getting an MBA and then going overseas for 5-10 years would be.

Fresh MBA at 30 years old with a couple million in the bank from playing overseas is a pretty damn good position to be in though. Of course playing overseas isn't for everyone, especially those with children.

gtphd

He / Him / His
Good lord. Sounds like most of the compensation is "exposure"
It’s like minor league baseball, where it costs you more money to play than you make. The only reason to go into the minors instead staying in college is if you get a huge signing bonus.

I know someone on the PGA Korn Ferry Tour. His family finances his dream of being a professional golfer. He spends about $100k per year and makes less than $19k. He’s at the age of giving up on ever making the PGA tour. He has no savings, he’s spent his parents’ retirement fund, has no degree, and is starting a career with a 10 year gap on his resume. The only job he’s qualified for is to make $35k as a golf pro at a second tier club.

The Jacket

The Coat
It’s like minor league baseball, where it costs you more money to play than you make. The only reason to go into the minors instead staying in college is if you get a huge signing bonus.

I know someone on the PGA Korn Ferry Tour. His family finances his dream of being a professional golfer. He spends about $100k per year and makes less than $19k. He’s at the age of giving up on ever making the PGA tour. He has no savings, he’s spent his parents’ retirement fund, has no degree, and is starting a career with a 10 year gap on his resume. The only job he’s qualified for is to make $35k as a golf pro at a second tier club.
While I knew about the misery of playing in the MiLB, for some reason I figured that the smaller size of the league would mean D-League players were better paid. I could be wrong, but from what I remember it seems like hockey may have the best salaries for minor leaguers.

That's a damn shame about your golfer friend. I admire that he has chased his dream that way, unfortunately I would imagine most people who do the same end up in the same position. Things like that make me wish local teams/leagues/circuits for the major sports were still common. There used to be a baseball team in every town with enough boys to field one, it's too bad those days will never return.

gtphd

He / Him / His
If you’re not aware, players that are signed by to standard G League deals currently make $7,500 for the month or $35,000 for the year. In the grand schemes of the league’s history, that’s a solid salary when you consider that it was a two-tiered system as recently as the 2016-17 campaign where A-level guys received $26,000 while B-level players got $19,000. It seems even more lucrative when you compare it to how baseball players in Triple A only made $15,000 during the 2018 season.

The article also mentions that there are some players (Pro Path Players - basically McDonald's All American high school kids who choose the G League over college) who make $200-500k per year.

As for the golfer, he'll be fine. He's tall, athletic, charismatic, and good looking. People like that tend to do well in life.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner

The article also mentions that there are some players (Pro Path Players - basically McDonald's All American high school kids who choose the G League over college) who make $200-500k per year.
Yeah I think that was a recent addition to the G league, a sort of all star team for surefire prospects.

CoachTech

Varsity Lurker
My opinion is -- Drafted or not I think Moses should seek Pro Ball. He needs to continue to work on his "Stretch" skill set as a Stretch Forward. As an amature you only get so many hours with the coaches (per NCAA rules), but he if makes a NBA roster or G league roster he will get double the hours in the gym with a trainer/coach. I also am not sure how much of an opportunity Pastner will give him next year to play the 4 if he returns.
Jose and Usher are in a predicament. With Euro Leagues not in full swing and borders closed to foreigners, those opportunities will be very difficult. Jose and Usher both seemed open to coming back next year, I wouldn't mind it if Pastner promised to play the Freshmen and bench more.

MGYSGT GRITS

Varsity Lurker
This is what I'm expecting. He goes to the G League (assuming that's a renamed D League?) and Alvarado returns. My hope is that with Jose hopefully coming back, at least some of the others will too. Have we heard anything at all from anyone but Jose?
1 Sr will return. Still needs work to be better and has classes left. The other 3 are gone

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
James Forrest drops by to say Hi.
Looked him up. Played 10 years of Euroball after Tech when he didn't get picked up by the NBA. Not a bad career.

Remember Javaris Crittenden? He sure could have used a couple of more years in college to mature.

DinnerJacket

Slowly eroding every brain cell
Looked him up. Played 10 years of Euroball after Tech when he didn't get picked up by the NBA. Not a bad career.

Remember Javaris Crittenden? He sure could have used a couple of more years in college to mature.
He was pretty much considered a consensus pick, at least 2nd round, his junior year. Decided to come back and had a so so Senior year.

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
He was pretty much considered a consensus pick, at least 2nd round, his junior year. Decided to come back and had a so so Senior year.
If he had gone pro after his junior year, his career trajectory would have likely been 1 year on the bench in the NBA, and 10 years in Europe. See Malcolm Mackey.

Not much difference IMO.

yellowbritchies

Varsity Lurker
If our guys return for another year it's only going to rob the younger players their shot to play. They came to Tech to earn their playing time , but won't get an extra year to play like the seniors. Time to move on just like life.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
If our guys return for another year it's only going to rob the younger players their shot to play. They came to Tech to earn their playing time , but won't get an extra year to play like the seniors. Time to move on just like life.
None of the recruits is a post or a point guard. Therefore the return of Jose and Moses would only help them.

Last edited: