When has Sam Howell looked bad?

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Virginia threw all over UNCs defense, but also couldn’t run the ball. UNC was much more balanced. We need to run clock in this game. Good running game and no turnovers. I honestly think we need to be perfect with the football to win. This will be the toughest team until the dwags in my opinion.

Their whole offense was way out of sorts vs VT in the opener. Either they got it all together or GA State and UVA defenses are suspect. Maybe a little bit of both. After the scheme against Clemson last weekend I feel better about our defensive staffs game planning abilities. I would be just fine with running the same tempo offense as we did vs Clemson

Our defense played well except for being unprepared for NIU's no-huddle, hurry up when they jumped in and out of it like they did (great game plan by NIU for an opener). We also had a couple of third quarter lapses against the KSU triple option but no defense can be judged vs the TO. Some can defend it, most cannot. Too bad players hate it because it is such a fun and effective offense. I suppose if everyone ran it then it would lose much of its effectiveness, though.

Our solid performance vs Clemson owes much to their OL problems. If you look at their recruiting, that is the one big difference between them and the other perennial playoff contenders. They have major offensive problems every time their QB is not NFL caliber.

(edit typo)

UNC's OL looked like hot garbage against VT. Hopefully they go back their woeful ways against us or we can replicate whatever VT was doing to them.

It will be interesting to see what style defense we dial up against unc. Do we go with the double cloud soft in the middle with 3 linemen and often only 6 in the box (Clemson)? Or do we go back to a more standard 4 down with 7 in the box?

There is some argument that the lack of pressure from the double cloud defense will be something unc prepares for and that it plays into Howell's desire for lack of pressure. On the other hand, the defense looked good last weekend and the kids looked comfortable in it so make unc beat our best defense.

Back