Where have we improved?

I’m bothered by defense but I do think it is a talent issue: our DTs are well below average; DEs are average at best and haven’t been 100% healthy. Our LBs are below average. That is too much to overcome upfront to scheme around it. I think our DBs are so focused on helping with the run that they don’t play their position.

On Def if you have any weakness then you are in troubled. We have too much to improve to fix this season.

Our CBs aren't that bad when they know they don't have help. It's when they know they have help and then the help never shows up because the safeties SUCK.
The safeties haven't sussed out any of the tricks the other OCs are doing to them. That's on them and Thacker.

Our LBs are no good. They are almost always biting on the run fakes, slow to recover, terrible pursuit angles. They might be strong, but not mentally strong.

Our DL has had injuries. Domeneck is playing well, AC has played decent to well, but inconsistent.

I am also disappointed in the defense. I expected some of this “2nd best recruiting class in GT history” to see the field....but that’s not happening. Even yesterday when our guys were totally gassed we insisted on leaving in starters that simply weren’t getting it done.

Of course I also understand that we’re in an age of offense...and that many defenses across the country have looked bad. Georgia was considered the best defense in the country... and they gave up almost 600 yards of offense last night.
I agree. The lack of playing time for the young players is surprising. I can understand this in close games but not yesterday. This is a free season. We should take advantage.

I'm not against CGC; but if we are ever going to become competitive with Clemson or UGA at some point CGC will have to make some significant staff changes. Pnope is not going to out scheme Venables no matter how many recruiting classes we have. You are absolutely right though, the cognitive dissonance of the juice drinkers is mind boggling. The "it is Paul Johnson's fault" excuse can only last so long; at some point the current staff has to take ownership.

Pnode is making position coach money to be both OC and quarterbacks coach. My guess has always been that he is transitional until we have the offensive players to attract someone better and the money to actually pay them. A decent P5 OC will cost double what we are paying Patenaude. Patenaude is s guy Collins knows who was willing to handle the transition out of the option for cheap so we could afford to get Brent Key (IMO).

For whatever reason, I still believe in Thacker.

If you want coordinators that can compete with Clemson, you need Clemson money. Thus, the MBS deal, artificial turf to hold concerts and all the other money-making schemes our fans complain about...all the while complaining that our bargain basement OC can't outscheme the best and highest paid DC in the game.

Last edited:
Our CBs aren't that bad when they know they don't have help. It's when they know they have help and then the help never shows up because the safeties SUCK.
The safeties haven't sussed out any of the tricks the other OCs are doing to them. That's on them and Thacker.

Our LBs are no good. They are almost always biting on the run fakes, slow to recover, terrible pursuit angles. They might be strong, but not mentally strong.

Our DL has had injuries. Domeneck is playing well, AC has played decent to well, but inconsistent.

LBs might be playing overly aggressive on the run because we are too weak on the DL :dunno: that is just a guess. They practice against this offense; so that may be instilling some bad habits is another guess.

If Cuse losing to Liberty is öööö on us, what does it mean when a team we beat in their house crushes UNC?
I'm surprised UNC was allowed to lose, being they were top 10.

We are only 5 games into the season and the only game we lost that we should’ve won was Cuse. Most of us probably said 2-3 or 1-4 through the first 5 games. Wins over FSU and Louisville regardless of the current state of those programs were not really expected. I don’t think we need to change anything up drastically at this point.

As for where we’ve improved: the offense is averaging like 150+ more yards per game than last year

Pnode is making position coach money to be both OC and quarterbacks coach. My guess has always been that he is transitional until we have the offensive players to attract someone better and the money to actually pay them. A decent P5 OC will cost double what we are paying Patenaude. Patenaude is s guy Collins knows who was willing to handle the transition out of the option for cheap so we could afford to get Brent Key (IMO).

For whatever reason, I still believe in Thacker.

If you want coordinators that can compete with Clemson, you need Clemson money. Thus, the MBS deal, artificial turf to hold concerts and all the other money-making schemes our fans complain about...all the while complaining that our bargain basement OC can't outscheme the best and highest paid DC in the game.
Not only that, you have a volume of coaches at Clemson. It has been that way for a while. Not sure if there is a limit on how many coaches a team can employ, but in pregame, they have what looks like a coach for every player on the squad.
They also have coaches that specifically watch us (or whoever they are playing) warm up. About 5-6 of them spread out. Watching for anything they can pick up on, I suppose. Also, probably a bit of an intimidation factor as the opposing team knows they are being watched. Even when we formed the big wall of players near the 50 to run through plays, those coaches adjusted themselves to be able to watch. Not sure if they have some sort of grading or something going on. They have been doing this for years under Dabo.

Back