Where is Dick Sheridan these days?

I've wondered the same thing, ghost. "Personal reasons" was all I recall hearing about why he left coaching.

Thought he was one heck of a coach. Have no idea where or what he's doing. After he stepped down saw his name come up for head coaching jobs, but he never was interested. That's been some years back now.

Good where are they now question! Poof, he vanished.

Had what were supposed to be pretty serious health problems. Supposedly he's okay but haven't heard anything about his whereabouts lately.

From bits & pieces on the web -

Sheridan resigned from NCST before the '93 season citing health reasons. Was contacted in '95 by Rutgers about their vacancy and was apparently feeling well enough to have formal talks with them but nothing came of it. He is currently in private business in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Dick Sheridan was an excellent college coach.

If ugag hadn't gotten impatient and tried to force Sheridan to make a decision before the bowl game, ugag would have ended up with Sheridan INSTEAD of Ray Goff; and would undoubtably have had much more success.

If Sheridan is healthy and wanted to get back into coaching, he would have been an excellent coach for TECH to have strongly considered last year, or to consider in the not too distant future.

I agree - he was a terrific coach..

I heard many stories about his situation, but the most consistent was his health problems..There were some rumors about some other personal things that I won't go into, but to me, the most credible was the health problems.

He did a whole lot with little talent when he was at NCSU

Originally posted by Gold Rush:
He did a whole lot with little talent when he was at NCSU
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GR,
I agree completely. Sheridan had a knack for getting the absolute most out of his players and coaching staff; very much like the Fridge in this regard, and sadly, very unlike our current situation.

Sheridan was apparently within an eyelash of the UGA job after Dooley retired. He had accepted the job but backed out when it was leaked prior to the NC State bowl game. Erk Russell should have got the job. Ego's and some poor communication ruined that. And then along came Goff
confused.gif
Not that GT fans should care but I believe that had Erk got the job we would not have waited 20 years for an SEC title. Doubt Sheridan would have worked out given how he seemed to fold at NC state. He was a hot coach at the time. Glad we finally got the coach hiring process right with CMR.

mlult,
You are probably right about what would have happened if Erk had gotten the job; but I think you are wrong about Sheridan. As a TECH fan, I am glad that Sheridan backed out. I think he would have been a tremendous success at ugag.

Look Sheridan was a very good coach, but don't let anybody tell you he didn't have talent. State has almost always had talent, they have just had some bad coaches sprinkled in.

I just figured that what ever happened at NC St. that took him out of coaching would have happened at UGA too. Seemed like something really got the best of him. Don't celebrate Goff too much. 5-2 X GT
wink.gif

Originally posted by MeLuvUgaLongTime:
I just figured that what ever happened at NC St. that took him out of coaching would have happened at UGA too. Seemed like something really got the best of him. Don't celebrate Goff too much. 5-2 X GT
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm not celebrating Goff AT ALL. I'll leave that up to you being a UGA fan. I'm not a UGA fan, so I don't celebrate any of your coaches.

BTW, Are you still here? No offense, but really wish you'd go elsewhere. You're one of those that just wants to cause trouble. There are some good UGA fans here, but wish you weren't.

As far as I'm concerned you can take these issues up at the vent or anywhere but here.

Originally posted by MeLuvUgaLongTime:
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">mlult,
Yeah if it was health issues that sidelined him, it may have happened at ugag, also. Definitely not celebrating Goff, but Sheridan was light years ahead of Goff. Sheridan probably wouldn't have had a better record against TECH, but he probably would been much better in overall record.

As someone who is related my marriage to Dick I can say that he is doing well.
Apparently he has no desire to get back into coaching at this time. I can not tell you why.
He is doing well and enjoys the time he spends with his family.

Back