White Smoke coming from the Edge Chimney

BioJacket06

Dodd-Like
From the press conference monday I would not be at all surprised if it is Giff. Johnson stating that he was once young and had to sell his ideas leads me to believe that he wants to give some other youngster a chance.

beej67

new around here
Giff won't excite me at all, honestly. I was rather hoping we'd bring someone else in who knew more than the folks who are already here. Giff has only learned under one decent coordinator, and that was TAH NOO TAH.

Couldn't be any worse than Wommack, but I still don't see what else he brings as a DC that we're not already getting from him as a position coach.

GTechNick

Damn Good Rat
Giff won't excite me at all, honestly. I was rather hoping we'd bring someone else in who knew more than the folks who are already here. Giff has only learned under one decent coordinator, and that was TAH NOO TAH.
This.

gth816f

Dodd-Like
Maybe Tenuta's coming back. There's a 'g' sound in Jon!...kind of?

MadTownJacket

Dodd-Like
I agree with beej. Giff won't excite me at all, but I trust Paul Johnson to do his job. After all, he did fire Dave Wommack after an 11-3 season, and wants to do whatever to win games.

MustangGT

Flats Noob
The excitement may not be there but I do think that Giff would do a good job

mts315

Dodd-Like
I for one will be disappointed if it is Giff. Not because I don't thik he could do the job but because he was already on staff and we could have made the move during the season. It was obvious early on that Wommack was not getting the job done and many people have been putting Giff's name out there for a while. If he is good enough now and in the future he would have been good enough 3 months ago when it could have helped us.

nvastinger

Damn Good Rat
I won't be excited by anyone we're likely to hire. I'll save my excitement for when we see some results.

beej67

new around here
Nothing against Giff, mind you. I always envisioned he'd one day be our DC. I just hoped we could get someone else in for Giff to learn from first. I'm not sure he's ever had a good defensive coaching role model.

If we were going to hire Giff, then we might as well have fired Wommack earlier and promoted him for a bit, just to see how well he could do on his own. If it is indeed Giff, then we're basically hogtied to him for the next year or two, whether he's good or not, and if he stinks then we can't fire him without also losing our best recruiter. It's a precarious situation, that I really hoped we'd avoid.

nvastinger

Damn Good Rat
I for one will be disappointed if it is Giff. Not because I don't thik he could do the job but because he was already on staff and we could have made the move during the season. It was obvious early on that Wommack was not getting the job done and many people have been putting Giff's name out there for a while. If he is good enough now and in the future he would have been good enough 3 months ago when it could have helped us.
I think we we shifted gears defensively quite enough times this past season as it was.

Hmm, maybe a burnt-out clutch metaphor would work here.