White Smoke coming from the Edge Chimney

Giff played for Erk Russell. Pretty good role model.

Nothing against Giff, mind you. I always envisioned he'd one day be our DC. I just hoped we could get someone else in for Giff to learn from first. I'm not sure he's ever had a good defensive coaching role model.

If we were going to hire Giff, then we might as well have fired Wommack earlier and promoted him for a bit, just to see how well he could do on his own. If it is indeed Giff, then we're basically hogtied to him for the next year or two, whether he's good or not, and if he stinks then we can't fire him without also losing our best recruiter. It's a precarious situation, that I really hoped we'd avoid.

Giff won't excite me at all, honestly. I was rather hoping we'd bring someone else in who knew more than the folks who are already here. Giff has only learned under one decent coordinator, and that was TAH NOO TAH.

Couldn't be any worse than Wommack, but I still don't see what else he brings as a DC that we're not already getting from him as a position coach.

Agree. I wouldn't like it to be honest. I love Giff as a recruiter. But who has he learned from to be a good DC?

I think Al Groh interviewed with the Dolphins, realized it's not what he wanted to do.

Nothing against Giff, mind you. I always envisioned he'd one day be our DC. I just hoped we could get someone else in for Giff to learn from first. I'm not sure he's ever had a good defensive coaching role model.

If we were going to hire Giff, then we might as well have fired Wommack earlier and promoted him for a bit, just to see how well he could do on his own. If it is indeed Giff, then we're basically hogtied to him for the next year or two, whether he's good or not, and if he stinks then we can't fire him without also losing our best recruiter. It's a precarious situation, that I really hoped we'd avoid.

I think these points counter each other. Everyone likes Giff, particularly as a recruiter, so we don't want to put Giff in a position to fail. A young, unproven coach, promoted mid year, carried into a BCS game, is asking too much, and presenting him with an opportunity to fail more than succeed. If we give him an off season, a young but good coach has a chance to be successful.

BTW - sources tell me the G is for Glanville... Jerry Glanville. ;)

I'll agree with what looks like the majority though...I wouldn't be too excited with Giff...he may do a fine job if that's the pick by CPJ....but, I was under the impression CPJ was wanting someone to hand over the defensive car keys so to speak and he'd stay out of that car....I don't know that CPJ would stay out of Giff's car.

Can you imagine the intensity level on the field if CPJ and Tenuta were both there? :wow: The whole team would have to be put on Xanex just to make it through spring practice.

I think Al Groh interviewed with the Dolphins, realized it's not what he wanted to do.

Well....perhaps....could also be the Dolphins decided that's not what they want to do.

I think it's both. Groh interviewed with us, and liked it. From old school courtesy and respect and careful decision making, he interviewed with Parcells. Then, from miami beach, he called CPJ and accepted... and promised he would not take any more visits to any other schools... particularly auburn.

f5-refresh-button-extreme-closeup-thumb7327737.jpg

I think these points counter each other. Everyone likes Giff, particularly as a recruiter, so we don't want to put Giff in a position to fail. A young, unproven coach, promoted mid year, carried into a BCS game, is asking too much, and presenting him with an opportunity to fail more than succeed. If we give him an off season, a young but good coach has a chance to be successful.

BTW - sources tell me the G is for Glanville... Jerry Glanville. ;)

Not really. If he was interim DC and it didn't work out we could leave him at his old job without too much loss of face, get him a new boss for a couple years, let him develop more, and let him take over the DC spot later.

I'll be fine with whatever. My first thought was we'd promote Giff, so I'm not that bent out of shape about it. But it's certainly not going to get me excited about next year. With Giff, it's more of the same staff, so my expectations will be more of the same defensive performance.

OTOH, if Giff learns for two years under Groh, then we give Groh a big 2 year extensions on his way into retirement, I'm totally excited about seeing Giff take over following that.

I don't like hitting F5 every 5 minutes, so when someone finds out, can they please make a new thread? thanks.

Money will play a role. If it not Groh then perhaps Giff may get a promotion. However, CPJ is dead a$$ serious about fixing the D and believe the new DC will have proven himself somewhere as a solid DC even if it is the William & Mary or the Air Force DC. JMFO :biggthumpup:

Let's support whoever it is!

Giff won't excite me at all, honestly. I was rather hoping we'd bring someone else in who knew more than the folks who are already here. Giff has only learned under one decent coordinator, and that was TAH NOO TAH.

Couldn't be any worse than Wommack, but I still don't see what else he brings as a DC that we're not already getting from him as a position coach.

+1

I'm keeping my eye on Groh...

link

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Groh. No inside info, but my speculation. I think the only reason it wasn't announced sooner is the Miami job and now that he's interviewed either he or the Dolphins has decided that it's not a fit, so now GT can officially announce it.

Back