Who moves from linebacker?

Josh H

Varsity Lurker
Seriously, why would Attachou come back for another year to get moved around and not develop as a LB? He's not moving anywhere
He plays OLB in a 3-4, so the NFL would want him for pass-disruption. He'll simply expand his skill set if he plays DE for a while.

Plus, it gives you the ability to move him all over the field during blitz situations. Look at what the Falcons do with Kroy Biermann.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
of course we will

we had a TON of 3 man fronts with Tenuta. Some may have selective memories, but JT's dollar D, Oliver moved to DT, and we had two ends, MJ and Roberson, added a LB and blitzed off the corner or OLB spot. We did this all the time.

4-3 is the base scheme you work off of.

Every 4-3 in the country has a 3 man front look in spread/passing situations. I am not sure why, but so many get confused by this fact.
That was our Okie package but you are correct.

GTland03

Jolly Good Fellow
Kallon weighs around 290 right now and doesnt even look like it.

I would be surprised if he plays DE. He's just like Tuitt. 6'5"-6'6" 260 coming out of HS, and grew within 1-2 years to weigh 300.

I would put Kallon at DT. Gamble was also listed as a DT coming out of HS, so there is a possibility as well. He's around 6'5" 280 right now.

DE: Attouchu - Crenshaw
DT: Green - Kallon
DT: Gotsis - Gamble - Commisiong
DE: Dieke - Williams - Cummings

LB: Watts - McNair
LB: JHD - Harrell
LB: Nealy - Menocal (Could play DE as well)

This will most certainly get interesting with a few players.. where do they play?

Menocal
Cummings
Kallon
Gamble
Cheeks
Marcordes
Drummond
Etc

33jacket

Dodd-Like
Well, its not like being an OLB in a 3-4 is that much different than a DE in a 4-3. On many plays Attouchu played the role of a 4-3 DE. I'm sure we could have him as an OLB and then move him up to DE as a pass rusher on obvious pass plays.
actually there is one big difference. In zone the normally blitzing OLB may drop to cover if the offense has a formation change from strong to weak. in a 4-3, the DE would never drop just because of a formation switch unless part of a zone dog; which then he drops regardless, which is not what we are talking about. Rushing the line for a DE playing a 5 or 7 tech in either scheme isn't too different. You either go in our out. However in a 3-4 you may stick and 2 gap, in a 4-3 the DE goes to his gap.

Also in a 3-4 even if 4 rush, the 3 downs typically still two gap since the MLB are lined up over the guards or shade to the ouside shoulder. Again, in a 4-3 you don't have this.

The fronts are not the same, even if 4 rush the line in either scheme. Of course you can have 4 rushers in a 3-4, and of course 4-3 schemes have 3 rush, but there are differences.

MtownJacket

Dodd-Like

I would be surprised if he plays DE. He's just like Tuitt. 6'5"-6'6" 260 coming out of HS, and grew within 1-2 years to weigh 300.

I would put Kallon at DT. Gamble was also listed as a DT coming out of HS, so there is a possibility as well. He's around 6'5" 280 right now.

This will most certainly get interesting with a few players.. where do they play?

Menocal
Cummings
Kallon
Gamble
Cheeks
Marcordes
Drummond
Etc
Do you think being a DT would limit Kallon's impact as a pass rusher?

GTland03

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you think being a DT would limit Kallon's impact as a pass rusher?
Listen, Im far from an expert here.. but his "pass rushing" skills are overblown IMO.

He played 1 year of HS football and now has redshirted at GT. Apparantly he's soft as a baby and needs to learn fundamentals and technique really bad. So that means we wont see him on the field until 2014 (R-So year).

But I dont know, maybe he stays at DE and we have some NARLY DE's.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like

Menocal
Cummings
Kallon
Gamble
Cheeks
Marcordes
Drummond
Etc

If Kallon 290 and is quick as some say I would definitely keep him at DE. Shouldn't have a problem setting the end with that size. I'll only kick him inside in our sub packages for passing situations

GTland03

Jolly Good Fellow
If Kallon 290 and is quick as some say I would definitely keep him at DE. Shouldn't have a problem setting the end with that size. I'll only kick him inside in our sub packages for passing situations
That too.

gtbuzz2011

Dodd-Like
Plus, it gives you the ability to move him all over the field during blitz situations. Look at what the Falcons do with Kroy Biermann.
This was exactly what I was thinking. Kroy plays DE and LB out of different looks and this year he has made a name for himself by disrupting so many plays. Mike Nolan has done a great job using him.

I think Sneezy is a similar, disruptive type of player.

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like

Menocal
Cummings
Kallon
Gamble
Cheeks
Marcordes
Drummond
Etc
I think Kallon is probably too tall/fast to play DT and will be much more valuable as a pass rusher off the edge (could be wrong). Definitely possible we put him at DT (if Gamble doesn't go there) though given depth issues. Depending on who can bulk up the best, I see Menocal, Marcordes, and Cheeks as almost interchangeable bw DE and OLB.

We aren't incredibly unbalanced, with the main problem being a lack of DTs. Wouldn't be surprised to see us play a style akin to USCe's "rabbit" package, where we blitz heavy using what basically amounts to 3-4 DEs.

My best guess is (ordered by listed weight)

DT: (I count probably 5-6, can easily see Kallon, Dieke, or Cummings switching for depth purposes)

Commissiong (6-3, 305 - may not be able to redshirt due to transition-related depth issues),
Gotsis (6-5, 300),
Green (6-0, 280),
Kitchen (6-3, 270),
Ben Keith (6-1, 269 - walk on SR),
Pat Gamble (6-5, 262 - hope he can bulk up!!)

DE: (I count probably 8)

Kallon (6-5, 289),
Cummings (6-4, 275),
Dieke (6-6, 270),
Williams (6-4, 264),
Crenshaw (6-3, 256),
Chungong (6-3, 246),
Akins (6-4, 245, likely RS)
one of Menocal (6-3, 238)/Marcordes (6-4, 235)/Cheeks (6-4, 232),

OLB (I count probably 9):

Watts (6-2, 238),
two of Menocal (6-3, 238)/Marcordes (6-4, 235)/Cheeks (6-4, 232),
Harrell (6-2, 235),
Nealy (6-1, 232),
McNair (6-3, 230),
Robbins (6-4, 230, likely RS, prolly still OLB),
Hankins (6-1, 228)
Munroe (6-3, 220),

MLB: (I count probably 4)

Hunt-Days (6-3, 252),
Drummond (6-3, 245),
Travis (6-3, 240),
Stargel (6-3, 237 - maybe OLB?)

Think I got everyone.

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
Listen, Im far from an expert here.. but his "pass rushing" skills are overblown IMO.

He played 1 year of HS football and now has redshirted at GT. Apparantly he's soft as a baby and needs to learn fundamentals and technique really bad. So that means we wont see him on the field until 2014 (R-So year).

But I dont know, maybe he stays at DE and we have some NARLY DE's.
He had 7 sacks in his first year playing football, he can't be that bad of a pass rusher. I haven't seen anything other than high school video, but scout lists positives as "Change of Direction" and "Quickness off Ball" and a negative of "Strength." If that's true, he'd probably be better as a DE (although obviously he could bulk up 10-15 lbs if he wanted).

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
Again, why can't Attachou stay at LB?
He can, but we have a million OLBs and typically the pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 would play DE in a 4-3. The positions are similar, albeit there are some substantial differences. Main thing is Sneezy is our best pass rusher, and typically the best pass rusher in a 4-3 is a DE.

GTland03

Jolly Good Fellow
He had 7 sacks in his first year playing football, he can't be that bad of a pass rusher. I haven't seen anything other than high school video, but scout lists positives as "Change of Direction" and "Quickness off Ball" and a negative of "Strength." If that's true, he'd probably be better as a DE (although obviously he could bulk up 10-15 lbs if he wanted).
Well being 6'6" 260 de in hs... You should have 7 sacks.

I guess we will sit back and see where he plays. Good problem to have IMO.

southendzoneBEE

Gailey-Like
Like you did a big part of this season? Sneezy had his hand on the ground a majority of the time.
No, I didn't see it this season. I saw a 3-4 with a linebacker occasionally putting his hand down. (if he even did it that much?)

gtzulu

ACCOUNT DEACTIVATED IN PROTEST OF EVIL SOFTWARE
Kallon will get there, but I think Gamble is the DL to look out for next season:

Defensive end Patrick Gamble was named the defensive scout-team player of the year. Listed at 6-foot-5 and 262 pounds and probably heavier, he is expected to be able to play both inside and outside on the line. Quarterbacks and B-backs coach Brian Bohannon particularly noted Gamble’s attitude and effort.

“Pat sticks out more just because he’s strong, he’s quick,” A-back Orwin Smith said. “He flies around.”
Source: blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/12/28/4-tech-freshmen-who-have-impressed-in-practice/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Seriously, why would Attachou come back for another year to get moved around and not develop as a LB? He's not moving anywhere
Maybe because the grade he got wasn't for a top round? Or maybe it wasn't for any round at all? You don't leave unless you have somewhere to go.

I'm not sure why everyone assumes he'd be a top 5 round pick.