Why bother playing the games?

Don't misunderstand me folks, my sole existence in the the world is to drink beer, tailgate and watch Tech win football games. (Quite frankly if that was all the Dawg fans were known for I wouldn't mind them so much) I was born and raised in Atlanta and religiously watched football Friday night, Saturday afternoon and yuck even watched the Falcons on Sunday. On Saturday morning I'd bust my butt to get my chores done so I could listen to Al Ciraldo (generally I didn't get to go to the games) or camp out in front of the TV and the Prudential Halftime Show...It is in my blood and I don't like losing at all. I am also a fierce competitor, sometimes in the past to the point of going over the edge and being a jerk.

But I also started to figure it out that someone loses and someone wins. Our goal is to win every week. Period.

But you must also maintain some decorum in sports. Look at Ray Lewis. He has the announcers and players respect as one of if not the fiercest of all competitors. I live in Baltimore now and see him every week. He is just amazing on the field, but after the game is over, he's always smiling and congratulating the other team. In fact, he does it during the game, winning or losing.

Putting his mistake of friends in Atlanta aside, he is one hell of a sportsman. I can assure you that he does not accept losing, and yet, understands that it does come with the game.

If you prefer the macho response that losing is for losers, blah blah blah, well help yourself to that poison. Playing like losers is for losers. Likewise, rooting like a loser is for losers. Winning fans are fans all the time, losers only root for teams that win. And remember that the winning is everything motto in the NCAA, for fans, just doesn't work. Check out the SEC and their twice a year cheating bust. Is that what you want?

I choose to believe that Key Fox has been busting his butt all year long. When I'm out drinking beer and goofing off on the golf course, he's likely weightlifting and running the stairs at Grant Field.

I choose to believe that the rest of the team and coaches are working their tails off, to a great extent for my enjoyment. And I choose to believe and tend to always see, both doing everything they can to win the game.

Unfortunately I know that exactly one out of every two teams will lose a contest. Most real athletes figure this out. It doesn't mean they have a losing mentality. It doesn't mean that it isn't deeply seated in their blood too. It doesn't mean anything except they've matured enough to enjoy the moment and if at the end of the day and maybe things didn't work out that you don't commit suicide over it.

Enjoy the game some. Accept that winning is great. Certainly losing is no fun, but move on with life. Note at your post game beer, how good that freshman QB looked (BYU). Remember how good that walkon looked again at RB (Duke). Smell the roses.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Personally, for me, I do not enjoy the game if we lose. I did not enjoy the BYU, FSU, Clemson, nor Duke games. I will enjoy the game if we beat Samford and Connecticut next year. I will not enjoy it if we lose by one point to Miami or VT next year.

I did enjoy the Auburn, Vanderbilt, NCSU, Wake Forest, and Maryland games. I do not watch the games to see them lose. I watch the games to see them win. I would not waste my time, if it that was not the case.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm very sorry to hear that, not because I think it makes you a different kind of fan than I am or perhaps midatlantech. Just because I'm sad that you can't enjoy a game unless we win. And I'm not in any way trying to criticize you. Two of the most enjoyable games I ever saw were games that our teams lost. I hated the results, but the games themselves were incredible displays of athleticism and skill and heart and perseverence and guts.

I'm talking about the FSU-GT football game in 1999 down in Tallahassee and the double overtime basketball loss to Illinois in Urbana-Champaign in 1989. I hated the results of both of those games but sitting there watching them was extremely enjoyable. And what was even better was getting to go into the locker room at the end of the game in Illinois to cheer up the team (was writing for the Technique). You see they played their hearts out and I let them know how much that effort was appreciated.

Yes, I'm about the results too. But I've found a way to enjoy the entire content of a game, not just the wins.

The Duke game this past Saturday fits into a different category, however. It was a terrible football game to watch and I did not enjoy the game at all.

Jojatk, just a reminder that the tag on your license plate has more than likely expired!

Please apply the new (GOLD) sticker to that plate so that the long arm of the law won't be writing you a GOLD ticket!

grin.gif

midatlantic, it's the "now and then" part of your post that is up for interpretation. To some it's truly becoming "now"(CU,VU,Duke) and "then"(Md,ugag,SVB..'02) vs. every so often or rarely, like the term normally means. THWG

Back