Why Does Friedgne/Maryland Get a Media Pass?

Father WASP

Flats Noob
Earlier this week the news came and went without a nary an eyebrow raised, even from the AJC, with the NCAA ruling UMaryland was on "probation" for paying recruits. In perspective, we've heard all the negative details about places like Alabama where Price and his off field antics, which broke no rules except judgement,and yet Maryland doesn't even pay a price for HANDING CASH OUT TO RECRUITS.

The NCAA is a joke with regard to uniform enforcement and the media is even more of a bunch of hacks for not giving even handed treatment. Remember when the AJC blew up the O'Leary stuff when than idiot tried to say he broke NCAA rules when his son couldn't get in the NFL?

What would the hue and cry be if Gailey, Zook, or any of the others on the shoot list had been documented PAYING CASH??? Guess Friedgen gets a darling pass along with Bowden and some of the other untouchables.

Because they are not on UGag's schedule and they don't really compete with UGag for recruits.

When that changes, the AJC will be on Maryland and the Fridge like stink on 'shinola.'

Father, I agree with almost all of your posts and I even agree with this one. But, as I started posting this, I remembered that we got off pretty light with O'Leary when he gave some money for T.J. (I forget his last name, but I think it was Edwards..he was a running back who started like 1 - 2 years) to fly home. The circumstances were different but were sufficiently similar to say that the NCAA does not ALWAYS penalize the institution heavily. It really comes down to what steps the institution takes when it finds out.

In Maryland's case, when they found out the coach had done that, they fired him....made him sign a deal that he can't coach ANYWHERE in the NCAA (at Division 1, 2, or 3 level) for 2 years, and immediately reported the situation and imposed self sanctions on themselves. Yes, I do happen to be a Friedgen fan so I am probably giving him the benefit of the doubt here, but I am also an O'Leary fan, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he said he was just loaning the money to T.J. so he could fly home (I think to see his sick mother or something).

O'Leary's Loan Ruled "Secondary Violation"
George O'Leary will coach the Yellow Jackets from the pressbox in their season-opener against Navy Sept. 4 because of an NCAA ruling that O'Leary made an improper loan to former running back C.J. Williams.

"We're relieved that the committee agreed with our finding that the violation was secondary in nature," Braine said. "There was no recruiting advantage involved. The only reason George made the loan was to help the young man register for class. C.J. was already at Georgia Tech, there was a timing factor with C.J. coming to George at the last minute, and the loan was repaid promptly."

Maryland football team hit with 1-year probation

August 12, 2003

Maryland was placed on one year of probation by the NCAA on Monday because an assistant football coach committed a violation by giving money to a high school recruit who later signed with Notre Dame.

The NCAA's infractions committee determined that coach Rod Sharpless gave heralded prospect Victor Abiamiri cash in amounts ranging from $5 to $200 five different times in order to gain an edge in recruiting.

Back