Why is there a shortage of good qb's?

LLCoolJacket

Damn Good Rat
Why is there a shortage of good qb\'s?

Man, the Alabama faithful must be burning their own trailers tonight! What a game their defense played. What a game their O Line played. What a game their backs played!

I know that their starter Brodie Croyle (sp!) is missing at qb, but what the hell? This is Alabama. I know that they can recruit anywhere, and tough admissions are not a problem.

What is happening with poor quarterbacking. I don't mean average, I mean very poor? Tenn. may have a good defense, (their secondary sucks), but for Gawds sake, Alabama would have won this game with any average qb. Reggie Ball would have won this game by 2 touchdowns!!!, maybe 3.

I only saw the UMD- Climpsun score. Who is Ralph going to eat?

Seriously, what is going on?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif

Re: Why is there a shortage of good qb\'s?

Statham actually played pretty well today, but Maryland receivers had a ton of dropped balls. Clem(p)son's offense actually looked worse than Maryland's, but the Turtles were done in by penalties and turnovers.

Looking back at it, NC State scored only 13 on Maryland and Clem(p)son only scored 10, so it makes our offense scoring 20 seem more impressive.

I have wondered about the seeming lack of quality QB's as well. I think it's just a matter of defenses being so fast and sophisticated these days that it's a lot harder to play QB than it ever has been.

I don't have an answer to your question but I thought that RB named Darby for Alabama had some of the best 8-10 yard runs that I have ever seen. The majority of his yards came after contact and I never saw just one guy tackle him. Just curious as I don't follow SEC closely, is he a "big name" back or did I happen to see his career highlight game?

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious as I don't follow SEC closely, is he a "big name" back or did I happen to see his career highlight game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Darby, from Butler HS, Huntsville, was a top 100 but not as high on recruiting boards as some other backs. He made it clear early on his only interest was Alabama and thus wasn't heavily recruited by others. He was arguably the top signee in one of Bama's scholly-restricted classes. He's a better back than some who were rated much higher, like Gerald Riggs.

Don't know if there is so much a shortage as there is an effect from the rules limiting practice time and the amount of time coaches can spend with players. This will reveal itself more in the QB position than anywhere else.

Bama\'s problems and our future problems

Bama had massive scholarship reductions.

This is what happens. The worst pain of the reductions actually hit the year after the reductions are over as you try and staff back up. I think they lost 19 players in 3 years.

GT lost 10 scholarship players to Flunkgate in 2003. We are now going to lose 8 more from 2005 to 2006. Essentially, Braine's mismanagement of the program is costing us 18 players over 4 years. Brace yourself. That's what it looks like.

Back