Why I've been a Pitt fan since 1982.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Tune in to the ACCN to see the Pitt/dwag game from 1982 (starting at 4:00). Actually, record it and just watch the last few minutes. Pitt had a good QB back then - Dan Marino - maybe you heard of him. Pretty sure the last play of the game was pretty good. Not 2nd and 26 good but pretty close.

That game is how I know I won't die from heart failure.

Danielle Marino? I've heard of her. Went to Miami as a perfect 17-0, right?

I grew up in Georgia. I was in the 7th grade in 1982. My English teacher was a stupid, obnoxious UGA graduate and fanatic. She once assigned us an essay. We could choose from only two topics: 1. Why Georgia deserved to win the 1980 NC or 2. Herschel Walker. Retrospectively I chose the correct topic—-Herschel—he is a stand up guy.

I loved that game. I wrote 24-20 in big numbers across her chalkboard every day for a month after that game.

Last edited:
I grew up in Georgia. I was in the 7th grade in 1982. My English teacher was a stupid, obnoxious UGA graduate and fanatic. She once assigned us an essay. We could choose from only two topics: 1. Why Georgia deserved to win the 1980 NC or 2. Herschel Walker. Retrospectively I chose the correct topic—-Herschel—he is a stand up guy.

I loved that game. I wrote 24-20 in big numbers across her chalkboard every day for a month after that game.
I would have skewered Herschel. What makes him such a stand up guy? Did you write about how wonderful Lindsay Scott was next?

I would have skewered Herschel. What makes him such a stand up guy? Did you write about how wonderful Lindsay Scott was next?
I’ll reverse the question. How would you have “skewered” him? What would you write about? His drug and alcohol problems? His laziness and lack of exercise? That he skips practices? His run-ins with law enforcement and criminal record? His selfishness, arrogance and how his team mates hated him? How were his faults different from some athletes at every college including Georgia Tech?

I am a third-generation Georgia Tech guy. I got made fun of and harassed plenty because I proudly wore Georgia Tech apparel to public schools in the early 80s. That’s partly why I grew to hate the University of Georgia. I did not appreciate that stupid assignment but I’m not stupid. I wanted to write about how Elway was more deserving of The Heisman that year. But I seriously doubt that would have earned me an “A”—-which I ended up making.

Last edited:
I’ll reverse the question. How would you have “skewered” him? What would you write about? His drug and alcohol problems? His laziness and lack of exercise? That he skips practices? His run-ins with law enforcement and criminal record? His selfishness, arrogance and that his team mates hated him? How were his faults different from some athletes at every college including Georgia Tech?

I am a third-generation Georgia Tech guy. I got made fun of and harassed plenty because I proudly wore Georgia Tech apparel to public schools in the early 80s. That’s partly why I grew to hate the University of Georgia. I did not appreciate that stupid assignment. But come on man.
I'd write about how he was paid by boosters to attend UGAg when it looked like he was going to attend Clemson.

I would quote Bill Curry - which goes something like this "as a young, newly hired head coach, I went into the Walker home and naively believed I could convince them about the benefits of a degree from Georgia Tech" when what it really took was $$$ and a Trans Am. He attended a school where if they could teach you to read and write a bit, you could be a postal worker instead of a garbage man.

Everyone knew Walker was on the take. Everyone knew UGAg was cheating.

Mike Cavan, Georgia's recruiter, bought a house in Wrightsville during Herschel's senior year to recruit him every day.

That Pitt team was legit. Bill Maas played in the NFL for a while (with KC mainly, IIRC) and if I'm not mistaken, weren't the two tackles Jimbo Covert (longtime Bear) and Bill Fralic (longtime Falcon)? And Chris Doleman on defense. Holy crap.

Loved the early 80s Pac-Man tie in to the scores. Pitt helmet eating the dwag helmet at the end was glorious!

Back