Why we stink!

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by OldGold1968, Dec 22, 2018.

1. ElCidBUZZingFAN

ElCidBUZZingFAN Dodd-Like

Loc:
    My house
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    No one can point to a single God damn thing about this program that is improving. Nothing.

Recruiting still sucks.
    Coaching (in game) still sucks.
    Player development still sucks.

What the öööö else is there for a head coach? This öööööööööööö even managed to embarrass the program off the court - totally unrelated to his continued plans to drop atomic bombs on it.

To anyone who defends this piece of öööö Pastner as he continues driving this once proud program into the ööööing dirt is the enemy, I hate you. You are guilty by association.

I. Hate. You.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 77GTFan

77GTFan Dodd-Like

Loc:
    North Carolina
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We stink because our coaches have been underperforming for a dozen years. Hewitt in the second half of his tenure, Gregory and Pastner have all failed to meet expectations. Recruiting, game coaching and player development are all substandard.

3. GTKlaus

GTKlaus Fritz

Loc:
    Chattanooga
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    The problem isn't so much the players in my opinion. Tech is playing really good defense. They players are playing hard.

The problem is on offense. No movement. Tech has some guys that can shoot the ball (Alston, Devoe, Haywood, Alvarado), but it's hard to shoot when you have a guy in your jock. I bet there weren't 5 good open jumpshots in the entire UGA game.

Here is the typical possession: Tech comes down with the ball. First 6-8 seconds ALL 5 stand still. Defense gets set and gets a good rest. Tech starts minimal movement. No good back screens or pick-n-rolls. Desperation soon sets in, clock winds down, rested defense bones up because they know there is not much time left. Bad shot. Rinse/repeat.

Note this happens even after timeouts! There are no set plays to get one of Tech's shooters open for a good shot - even out of timeouts.

I just don't get it ... what happened to all the movement we saw in year-1? It has disappeared. Where are all the plays that sprung shooters open? I mean Banks may not be the outside shot that Lammers was, but you can still bring him up to the top of the post, run some screens and if the defense guards the 3, cut hard to the basket. I dunno. I am mystified!

• Like Like x 2
  4. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Below – is the current individual stats for JUCO College Palm Beach State (Florida).

If you scroll down to player #23 named David Didenko (born in Russia – a “stiff” in other words).

This piece of crap who is shooting 36.8% from the floor / 22% from troika-land / 57% from the charity stripe doesn’t even start!!!!!!! Averages an embarrasing 5.6 points a game.

This is Georgia Tech sole basketball recruit thus far for 2019. And, Tech is desperate for players.

Ladies and Gentlemen - Georgia Tech Basketball! This is an ACC Team playing in the largest city in the ACC.

There is fresh material every day of the year when it comes to the hopelessness of GT Basketball.

Screenshot 2018-12-23 21.12.01.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    See my post in the other thread to see where we could be if we had invested in the program three years ago.

6. Salter21

Salter21 Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    Cumming
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Preach!!!

7. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We all understand that recruiting is not where it needs to be, but there's really no need to call a future Tech student-athlete a piece of crap. Fault the coach for not bringing in better players, but don't fault the players who choose to come here.

As for Pastner, I don't know if he's "fake" per se, but he's yet to provide clear signs that the program is moving in a positive direction. We had some years like this under Hewitt, like right after losing Jack, Elder, Bynum, etc., but it was tolerable because we knew Thad Young and Critt were coming in the next year. Same thing later on with the Favors class. Pastner has yet to demonstrate he can recruit ACC caliber players, which is a bit of a problem when you play in the ACC.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 05GTCorndog

05GTCorndog Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Your mom
    Team:
    Ramblin Wreck
    Keep in mind Pastner was plan Z after we got turned down by every viable option. It isn’t like he was a hot name, we just had no other options.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gtfan088

gtfan088 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Maybe no other options on MBob's radar, but I doubt Pastner was the only head coach in the country who would have taken the job. I'd rather us gamble on an unproven at a mid-major than hire a guy who was basically in the same position at Memphis that Hewitt was in here.

10. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    My understanding is that we could have had Bryce Drew if we had been willing to make the investment. Since then Vandy has signed two 5 star and four 4 star recruits to our one 4 star recruit (Devoe).

11. G776T

G776T Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Jackets
    I dont like you, but I lol'd at "troika-land"

12. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    You're right - I shouldn't call Didenko a piece of crap (even if he is playing as such this year). My bad.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Glad you enjoyed that.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Dirty Jacket

Dirty Jacket Something Extraordinairre

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Honestly what will happen for me is that I’ll simply lose all interest like I did in Gregory’s final year. I never knew when we were playing and didn’t care. If I came across a score it didn’t matter. I’m headed that way with Pastner.

15. The Gus

The Gus Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    And to think just 2 seasons ago - Josh was ACC Coach of the Year! What a horror show.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. BOS

BOS Flats Noob

Loc:
    atlanta
    Team:
    GT
    First year was great, it was the revival GT basketball needed. Building off that momentum was key, but it all turned around with the Ron Bell situation. Hard for a coach to recruit or focus on coaching when he's battling stupid lawsuits. He allowed his players to be around that mess and now recruits/their parents have taken notice and no one wants to be around it. Unfortunately CJP has made it easy for everyone to recruit against him.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    North of the gnat line
    Team:
    University of Georgia Technology Institution
    ...or be a better matchup against either of the GSU's.

18. Vespidie

Vespidie Jolly Good Fellow

Loc:
    North of the gnat line
    Team:
    University of Georgia Technology Institution
    Agreed but I think at the time that there was an image problem with GT basketball, and the powers that be decided to remedy that with a so-called " best splash" in an effort to rejuvenate a floundering program and a disinterested fan base. Fortunately it worked initially, but unfortunately has failed to improve anymore. Failing to take a chance on a mid major up and comer wasn't an option to generate fan interest, and that ultimately set the program back to square one if the recruiting doesn't pick up.

19. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    We matched up very poorly with uga. We are building a program and playing a young team.

20. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    Alvarado missed ten point blank shots.