Why won't Coach Gailey talk to the media?

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Why won\'t Coach Gailey talk to the media?

Is this the most PR shy HC & staff in history? I mean, most HCs of any program size will stand on their head if they can get on radio or TV or in the local papers & get some publicity & excitement going for their school &/or team. It seems that our HC (who also 'allows' his staff to be interviewed) is the most publicity scared coach I've ever been associated with .
Even O'Leary has done more live Atlanta radio shows in the past 3 months, to use Beau's phrase 'for crying out loud', than has Gailey. Coach Hewitt is a regular on talk radio even when it is off season in Aug, Sept. Braine does his 'live' radio talk & interview show each week during season, which is phenominal for an AD. Even Tuberville does 'wrapup' recruiting radio shows in Atlanta. These folks know the value of good PR work.
Brian Murphy, whose column is picked up by Macon, Columbus & Savannah papers is about the only one to quote Coach Chan in the past 3 mo. Is he the ONLY one that calls our HC? Is he the ONLY one our HC will talk to?
I'm flabbergasted that HC Gailey has NOT done MORE to drum up support for Spring practice, the Spring game & season ticket sales for next season. We will NEED to sell many more tickets than we've been selling recently. This is NOT the time to hide behind a veil of secrecy with absolutely no public persona. He may think he is protecting himself from slings & arrows, but he may be seriously hurting the Ga Tech football program.
We need someone putting on the best public face possible, pointing out the positives, & hinting that the coming season should be less confusing. That the new season will bring new excitement. Just name me one single major program that has had less publicity that GT in the past couple of months. With no leadership from the HC, the precious few articles that have been written, have taken on the thoughts of the writer, rather than the HC. Even the AD felt he 'had' to say something for the HC. C'mon, Chan, get out there & mix it up with the media! They would love to talk with you, I assure you.

Re: Why won\'t Coach Gailey talk to the media?

NCJacket-u mentioned there is a story @ Ramblingwreck.com where Gailey alludes to this ?, but I can't find it. Could u link it or clue me in further as to where it may be?

I think I was responding to a post where you were talking about the HC/OC thing. The article is on RamblinReck on the Football site. It's the one that talks about Geis' hiring.

Right on GTT & GTP.
One point: Hewitt, Braine, Durham & O'Leary appear on the local radio talk shows a lot just as a 'guest' caller. They get to point up, straighten out, add to, subtract from & contribute to their agendas on these shows. They are very helpful & there's always someone listening who posts what is basically said to the great enhancement of GT's message boards.
These shows absolutely love it when the above GT personalities call in & fall all over themselves trying to let the personalities talk as much as they want to. I'm 100% sure they'd love for Gailey to call in, even for just 5 mins.
Gailey surely senses the confusion amoung GT fans with all the changes made & could just clear up one situation at a time on a 5 minute conversation, each week. It would be great PR work & our flagship station would love him for it.
Hewitt does this a LOT, even in the off season. Braine, Durham & O'Leary do it on occasion. It helps the GT fans adjust to whatever is going on. I think it would be helpful, especially now. Just a fan called GT Ace.

Ace I agree with that, Chan should take advantage of opportunities to talk on the air. Wonder if he's just not comfortable or if his Dallas experience has soured him on the media that much? Maybe that's the kind of emails we should be sending his way? To me those are constructive comments that he should be hearing.

Your pt really struck me NCJacket, so I did just that. I sent him the above referenced post, with minor adjustments to make it personal to him.
Thank you very much for suggesting an astute action, rather than an anonymous idea he may never see.
I feel terrific that I did this.

belly, thanx for the link; I never knew of it before! Maybe if CCG would get to know us and vice versa we would stand up for him a great deal more than some of us do presently? Just a thought!

drinking.gif

He has spoken to the media. Just because the media isn't telling you what you want you want to hear doesn't mean he hasn't. He's not shy about media at all. The man bends over backwards to speak to them.

He's also had speaking engagements in Gainesville GA, Tampa FL, and this week Pensacola FL (Believe it's this coming week).

You say that our head coach is hidding. He's not.

Thanks for the link belly. I had no idea that such a site existed.

Also, I think Gailey has proven that he is the type of person that will answer any question you ask but doesn't speak in public if he doesn't have anything to say. In other words, he doesn't speak just to hear himself talk. Gailey has been very open to the press but I'm not sure the press has been beating down his door with questions (thus the lack of coverage and info).

I'd love to hear more from the GTAA but I've never known them to be great at PR anyway (unless they need more money from me), so it isn't new.

Good deal Ace! Let's hope he takes you up on it. Of course then we'll need somebody in Atlanta to post a recap for those of us in the hinterland.

CG's never had this problem. Some of our fans, particularly on these boards, have had some delusions about our head coach being Bill Tush on channel 17 or something. That's not the way it works. His call-in shows during the season are sufficient. This website (changailey.com) is something that CG deserves a lot of credit for. It's not Coach Gailey's job to hold your hand. Maybe you need a shrink.
smile.gif
Sorry but I think the complaints about CGs not keeping you informed are ridiculous.

Totally agree with you, gnats67! Good post.

gnats67 maybe I took the original comments wrong, but I thought Ace was talking about just having the opportunity to hear more from Chan. I'm not in the Atlanta area but can tell you that most of the coaches around here do sports talk radio fairly regularly. It gives them a chance to talk up their program and most seem to have a good time with it. Of course, it's more seasonal, that is BB coaches are hot right now, not much from the football coaches.

I don't see any harm and don't see fans having an interest in this kind of thing as holding anybody's hand. Most of the stuff I've heard has nothing to do with keeping anybody informed on anything major, it's just another chance to hear the coach and get to feel like you know him. I guess I just think if it works for Coach K, Prosser, Amato, Grobe, etc. it might help Chan in a bigger market.

Back