Why would Miami want to be in the Big East?

**DONOTDELETE**

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I don't know how the financials lay out, but I have to believe they favor the ACC over BE, but let's just assume they are neutral.

Without VT you have no other consistent top program in the conference. Which means the conference is one step removed (ND terminating relationship) from losing your BCS slot all together. Even if you win the depleted conference, you are at peril of losing the BCS slot as long ND continues its relationship (correct if I'm wrong about this). What's worse is you could lose the slot to ND and not even have the opportunity to beat them on the field. Furthermore, your strength of schedule will likely be lower than ND consistently due to the weakness of the conference which means if you have the same record as ND you have no guaranteed BCS slot.

In regards to non-football sports, the ACC is comparable or better than the BE across the board. Miami baseball belongs in the ACC. In basketball, how about playing Duke and UNC every year.

Maybe the ACC surprised you with the outcome of the voting, but at least the ACC isn't like the BE. The BE hired a PR firm to lauch a national media campaign to destroy your good name and launched a frivulous lawsuit to attempt to scare you into doing their bidding.

Say what you want about the NC Mafia. I don't like them either, but at least they don't stoop to the BE level.

Just my opinion. Please discuss.

The ACC had it's negativity without hiring a PR firm - they are NC Mafia. Miami is a huge player in anyone's conference. They are going to go where the money is, that's why this thing began.

They can play any card they want to get what they want - BE, ACC, Big 10 ... you name it! I think if the BE comes up with $$$ they like, they don't move and I bet they are guaranteed things that the ACC can't guarantee.

The lawsuit verifies the importance they had in that conference in order to survive. Now, they have the opportunity to 'call shots' and make $$$ they might have not made before. I think the BE does EVERYTHING THEY CAN to keep them in tow.

I don't see the ACC doing that kind of thing, they hardly looked good in trying to expand their oown conference and ended up with egg all over their face for all the faction infighting, blackmail and no votes! Just my take.

I think you are underestimating several factors.

First, I believe Miami was deadly serious about this expansion including Cuse or BC. I am sure they feel somewhat betrayed by the non vote for these schools.

Second, if the BE gives them guaranteed income, how can the ACC match that? We don't have a championship game, and we have done little to make our TV package more attractive.

Third, they are the big fish in the BE pond. They can control their own fate and not be tied to schools with different goals and visions as themselves. I imagine part of the BE package is going to be asking Miami who should we go after to replace VT. I can almost guarantee you FSU is the first call, if it has not already happened.

Finally, when this whole thing started I posted that surely the ACC presidents would not vote against this and kill the conference. I now think that is exactly what they wanted to do.

Originally posted by Wrecked:
I think you are underestimating several factors.

First, I believe Miami was deadly serious about this expansion including Cuse or BC. I am sure they feel somewhat betrayed by the non vote for this schools.

Second, if the BE gives them guaranteed income, how can the ACC match that? We don't have a championship game, and we have done little to make our TV package more attractive.

Third, they are the big fish in the BE pond. They can control their own fate and not be tied to schools with similar goals and visions as themselves. I imagine part of the BE package is going to be asking Miami who should we go after to replace VT. I can almost guarantee you FSU is the first call, if it has not already happened.

Finally, when this whole thing started I posted that surely the ACC presidents would not vote against this and kill the conference. I now think that is exactly what they wanted to do.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wrecked: You said it much better then I did!

Just my thoughts on these points:

First, I believe Miami was deadly serious about this expansion including Cuse or BC. I am sure they feel somewhat betrayed by the non vote for this schools.

My response;

Miami is out for Miami. They are doing the politically correct thing of publically feeling sorry for their buddies at BC and Syracuse but the bottomline is they care most about Miami.

My response;

The BE is not generating that revenue now. Where will it come from? They have no possiblity of a championship game with now 8 teams. With Virginia Tech in the fold, the ACC does now have a more valuable TV package. Not as valuable as with Miami but still more valuable than w/o V Tech.

Third, they are the big fish in the BE pond. They can control their own fate and not be tied to schools with similar goals and visions as themselves. I imagine part of the BE package is going to be asking Miami who should we go after to replace VT. I can almost guarantee you FSU is the first call, if it has not already happened.

My response;

If Miami stays in the BE, their short term situation is negatively impacted. Why would FSU consider leaving the ACC. They rule the roost and make more money than Miami and the BE teams do now. The Big East is dead with or without Miami, it has no future other than as a basketball conference.

My response;

You have 2 basketball schools who think they are the blueblood aristocracy and should dictate the laws of how the ACC is run. They showed their true colors in this process and tried to derail the thing. Unfortunately for them, pandora is out of the box. The addition of Virginia Tech shifts the balance of power in voting and on to football from basketball. UNC and Duke will just have to accept they are no better than the rest of their neighbors in the ACC. Whether Miami joins or not, things are forever changed in the ACC. Look for the ACC to go strong after 1 or 2 more teams (depending on Miami yes or no) and implement the football playoff plan within the next 2 years. Football is where the money is at. That is why Ms. Sha nay nay will side with the ACC. If she does anything else she will cost the University of Miami millions of dollars over the next 2 to 3 years.

Go Jackets!

Back