Will Grier skipping bowl game

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon
For those saying greyshirting is a bad thing - where's the reciprocity from the stellar SA? WV picks up Grier as a transfer after he bails from UF, gives him an opportunity to shine, then he thanks them by skipping the bowl game he got them into so he doesn't risk getting hurt ahead of his expected NFL career.

It's a business folks. If the athletes can decide not to compete, then the coaches can decide to cut scholly athletes.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...eers-qb-grier-skip-bowl-game-focus-draft-prep

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Good for him, would be a nice problem for us to have. I'd be a fan of not letting him travel with the team and incurring unnecessary costs since he won't be playing, though

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
From a financial standpoint, I can't blame the kid. With that being said, if I'm a pro team and it comes down to this kid vs someone else and it is down to intangibles, I most certainly hold this decision against him. Most definitely isn't a 'team first' kind of guy.

agt45

Distinguished Gentleman
I don’t think greyshirting is a bad thing as long as you are up front with the kid from the start. What’s bullshit is offering them a ship and then on signing day telling them they need to take a greyshirt or go elsewhere. Especially when the kid was committed for months.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
If I remember correctly, he is married with a child so perhaps he is thinking about that, but this has been the case all year.

Generally, don’t like this move.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Fournette and McCaffrey did this a couple years ago, as well.

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon
How much does it hurt future recruiting if WV gets smoked in the bowl game?

I don't have a big issue with him bailing, but if star athletes can exercise that "right" then I have no problem with coaches bailing on marginal SAs to free up schollies.

bfunk

Varsity Lurker
Do whatever is within the rules to protect your future. That goes for both sides. I have no issue with Grier wanting to sit out the bowl game, and I have no issue with a coach trimming fat. Not sure if that’s what CGC meant by “roster management” in his press conference, but I wouldn’t be mad if that was the case. iiwii

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
How much does it hurt future recruiting if WV gets smoked in the bowl game?

I don't have a big issue with him bailing, but if star athletes can exercise that "right" then I have no problem with coaches bailing on marginal SAs to free up schollies.
Realistically the coaches who are going to do that have and will continue to do so whether players skip bowls or not.