Willie Anderson on the transition

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Some interesting stuff here.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...orgia-tech-transition/BEZQxvkIOxcBsqsLQshuuK/

"Now they have a chance to be up and be more athletic," Anderson said. "You wouldn't think Parker Braun can play left guard and be All-ACC? I think it'll benefit a guy like Parker the most."

Anderson said that playing in a pro-style scheme would give NFL scouts a better look at what Braun can do.

"He's going to kill it because he's a monster," Anderson said.

Anderson was also excited about the expected hire of Brent Key, the Tech grad who has coached the offensive line at Alabama for the past three seasons. The two are colleagues.

"If Key's the o-line coach, it's the biggest thing that Tech fans should be happy about," Anderson said.

Key's reputation for developing linemen will be a recruiting draw, Anderson said.

it has always made a lot of sense to me that current players might actually be expected to improve in a new offense. basically none of them played in an option-based spread in high school. for the OL, zone blocking in a 2 point stance seems much easier than what they were previously asked to do, which was very complicated and required a lot more speed and agility.

the question will be about strength and conditioning, imo. can they pack on some weight, gain some strength, and maintain their conditioning?

the question will be about strength and conditioning, imo. can they pack on some weight, gain some strength, and maintain their conditioning?

They will if this guy has anything to say about it:

Lewis-Caralla-ntmeangreenfootballdotcom1.jpg

it has always made a lot of sense to me that current players might actually be expected to improve in a new offense. basically none of them played in an option-based spread in high school. for the OL, zone blocking in a 2 point stance seems much easier than what they were previously asked to do, which was very complicated and required a lot more speed and agility.

I agree to a degree. The issue will be that they have not been working on those techniques since they have been at Tech and instead have been working on things that could be bad habits now. It will be a challenge to step back and relearn another way to play.

I agree to a degree. The issue will be that they have not been working on those techniques since they have been at Tech and instead have been working on things that could be bad habits now. It will be a challenge to step back and relearn another way to play.
yes, might be easier for some of the underclassmen. I think Defoor and Hansen will do well. I think Parker and Kenny can play in any offense. And Southers the grad transfer should give us a solid LT. I think we'll be decent 1-5 but as always, have some drop off to the 2nd string.

Last edited:

I don't know how hard the transition to a pro-style offense will be for the OL; but based on the other thread Shaq was able to make the transition pretty well and under circumstances less tolerant of error.

I'm not sure one is harder/easier than the other. Chipping a DL and getting to the LB is hard; taking a 300 lb DL and moving him is also hard to do

I'm not sure one is harder/easier than the other. Chipping a DL and getting to the LB is hard; taking a 300 lb DL and moving him is also hard to do
Physically, I agree. I think mentally/schematically it might prove easier.

I don't know how hard the transition to a pro-style offense will be for the OL; but based on the other thread Shaq was able to make the transition pretty well and under circumstances less tolerant of error.
Good point. Although Shaq didn't have anything else to focus on, like school, or have a 20 hour per week limit on practice time. I'm hoping you are right just not sure how it will play out.

Well no other OL has played as well as Shaq did for us, so not sure that’s a fair leap

Back