With changes in offensive coaching what type of system do you feel we'll run?

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
With changes in offensive coaching what type of system do you feel we\'ll run?

Or, what kind of offensive system would you like us to run?

Just feel we'll have a young QB running the show on the field. That doesn't mean in my mind we should sit back and be super conservative. There are ways to mix it up, keeping the defense off balanced, while grooming a young QB.

My thoughts are to build an offense starting this spring and adding more to the base as the season goes along.

Let's build the system with the running game with RBs and QBs on the corners. Getting timing and feel down between OL, QB, and RBs crisp with a short passing game with maximum protection to QB. Let's give him time to get the feel for this thing and gain confidence.

We utilized the sidelines to help stretch the field last year while getting rid of the ball quickly, but want to see us utilize more of the middle of the field with slants and posts or short passes rolling out. Throwing to TE could help here. Those timing patterns to the sidelines are tough throws and there is an added defender in the sideline itself.

The key is lining up and whipping people to open up the pass. I don't want to see d's teeing off on a young qb.

I don't look or feel we'll be 3 and a cloud of dust at all. feel we'll widen the field with the qbs legs and hopefully a running back that can hit the corner with speed.

In short even though we could have a young qb think we'll put him on the move mixing it up with a power running attack that's capable of running between tackles and off tackle.

The coaches were after RBs with speed to break it, QBs that run and throw, and bigger possession type WR. We've got some speed burners at WR on the team now along with a play maker in Freddie Smith.

They'll try to get the ball in Freddie's hands I'm sure. We'll see who makes a splash at RB and QB.

That's some of my thoughts.

Go Jackets!

Re: With changes in offensive coaching what type of system do you feel we\'ll run?

We've gotten use to an offense that makes things happen. I would hate to see us get very conservative .. it's not in our makeup. I remember Coach Friedgen and O'Leary saying that good offenses are 50% run and 50%pass.

With the development of a QB I would think we would probably be a little more conservative in the beginning stages until someone grabs a hold of the position and we go with a 60-65% run and 35-40% pass.

Whatever we do, we have to be creative and somewhat innovative so we can at least keep opposing defenses off guard while dealing with one of our most difficult schedules in some time. We're going to have to mix it up to be in most of these games.

Re: With changes in offensive coaching what type of system do you feel we\'ll run?

Initially, I think we'll be run-oriented until our QB proves he can shoulder a real passing game. At that point, you'll see more passing. Unfortunately, we don't have any patsy games to break in our QB. So, whoever it is, they'll be thrown right into the fire. That could be good and it could be bad.

Anyway, long term, I look for CG to try to have a 50/50 balance or maybe 55/45 run/pass.

I think you'll see us be balanced regardless of who's at qb. Now how we throw the ball might be more on the safe side as the qb is being groomed.

Coach Gailey has been balanced through his career other than we he ran a wishbone attack years ago.

The bottom line is to do whatever it takes to win.
blue.gif

bugboy said
Initially, I think we'll be run-oriented until our QB proves he can shoulder a real passing game.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I hope spring is successful in proving a QB so that the passing game is in place, and the first games will require only a "settling in."

I think Terrif's thoughts are how it will shape up. The quick slants were there last year; they should be utilized if QB and WR can get their timing down. I would love to see the TEs catch and rumble.

A key is to make sure that on those third down passing situations that the primary routes are being run correctly--that is beyond the first down marker.

TH ability to find the holes and hit them quickly as well as his ability to beat the LB and/or DE to the corner really opens up the running game if he can come back at 100% I would love to see him catching the ball out of the backfield.

Just my thoughts...

Well, let's put it this way. I hope we can play some defense next year.
drinking.gif

Originally posted by bugboy:
Well, let's put it this way. I hope we can play some defense next year.
drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm with you bugboy.

DEFENSE! DEFENSE!! DEEEEFEEENSE! I can hear the roar from the crowd at BDS.

With these guys having a year under their belt with Tunuta's D let's line up and knock the snot out of some people.

I'm excited about guys getting bigger and stronger in the offseason.

We'll have some added new comers that were red shirted that I'm excited about in the likes of Brazina, Mathews, and Pullen up front.

Houston is a guy that could be THE MAN at corner.

I'm excited about new comers this year, but even the best of the best will have to beat out others. That should be fun to watch.

Have high expectations for TRAVIS PARKER. Can he put on some weight and strength while keeping or gaining quickness and speed.

Want badly to see Greg Gathers come back strong, but most of all I hope and pray for his health.

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE! I'm ready to see some punishment dished out!

Go Jackets!

The defense will be tested greatly in the first 3 games. First, we'll have to defend BYU's passing attack up in that thin mountain air. I hope we don't get tired out and start to fade in the 2nd half.

Then, we get Auburn, who will pound us and pound us all day with their running game. The word is that they have a recruit that's better than either Cadillac or Ronnie Brown. His name is Brandon Jacobs. He's a power back with speed. So, we'll be tested greatly, and I worry that our front 7 will wear down under the pounding (just like alot of Auburn's opponents did last year).

Then, we get to travel to Tally in the searing heat and try to stop the FSU attack, which will probably improve greatly over what we saw last year. I'm guessing that Chris Rix, the junior, will be much better than Adrian McPherson.

I worry about our defense's ability to withstand the first 3 opponents. They will be tested early and hard.

Back