Wonder how many UGA fans will use their tix Thurs

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
With the NC State game being part of the 3 game mini-package purchased by thousands and thousands of UGA fans, it will be interesting to see just how many of these "loyal supporters of Tech Football" will bother to make it to a Thursday night televised game. My bet is very few. The ones that do show already own red clothing to cheer for the Pack.

BOO

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
My guess is fewer than a thousand...

And being that they'll blend in with Pack fans, we won't be able to notice them too much.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Wonder if we should focus more on winning the game, and maybe building a program that does not have to stoop to selling minipaks?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Screwum....I'll be there as will some of you guys. That's all that matters.

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
Well...

[ QUOTE ]
Wonder if we should focus more on winning the game, and maybe building a program that does not have to stoop to selling minipaks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tend to agree with you.

A few points in favor of the mini-packs though:

I've heard that there's a fair number of the mini-pack folks that have become season ticket holders over the last few years...and most of them are not UGA fans, most likely.

My suggestion (as has been suggested by many others) would be to make sure the off-games (non-uga games) are on weeks where UGA has a game, so that their fans won't show up.

Also, keep in mind that our season ticket base has slowly grown over the last decade or so...up to about 27,000 now. I think in another decade, we'll be able to sell out our stadium without other team's fans and without the mini-packs...provided we don't bottom out with another 1-10 or something. It'd be nice to string together some 9-3, 10-2, 11-1 type seasons to help speed up the process.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
BB

you make some great points. I read GTAA said paks have resulted in 1000 new season ticket sales. I would like paks to be sold with no ugag tickets however.

We just need more focus on building a quality year in year out winning (real winning) program.

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
Yep.

Winning would do wonders. I'd like to see us run off a string of seasons similar to '98 to '00...except make it last 5 or 6 years instead of screeching to a halt like it did in '01.

non-gineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Re: Wonder how many UGA fans will use their tix T

Amen, and amen.

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Why stoop to playing Thurs. games.... peroid

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree...I also wish that Tech would distance itself from Thursday night games altogether. Only second and third tier teams play these games....hoping for any exposure that the game might bring. I feel like Ga. Tech is above this type of event. We don't need the exposure that schools like Colorado State and Miami of Ohio need.

What is the point? Is it money? Is it yet another way that Braine can prostitute the football program and its fans for a buck?....Probably.

Bottom line: Thursday night games became hokey years ago and few people give a flip about them. Tech has no business playing them. A team with the tradition of a Georgia Tech should play on Saturdays.

BOO

pocket_watch

Dodd-Like
Re: Why stoop to playing Thurs. games.... peroid

[quote

Bottom line: Thursday night games became hokey years ago and few people give a flip about them. Tech has no business playing them. A team with the tradition of a Georgia Tech should play on Saturdays.

BOO

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good point, and I agree with it in totality if espn continues with what they are doing.

I notice that there are now friday night telecasts as well as the Thursday night games. It is apparent that Tech seems to be the only major program that continues to play Thursday night games. The rest are teams that are desperate for exposure.

The natural fit for Tech is that most of its fan base lives in the Atlanta area. I said most.

While these broadcasts were special for several years, it now looks like a downgrade because of the reality that only Tech seems to regularly participate from the major teams.

With the local fan base, it would remain special if Tech would be 1 of just a few major teams that agreed to play special Thursday night home games.
The way its now is a downgrade.

JJacket

[ QUOTE ]
Only second and third tier teams play these games

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean those second and third tier teams like Virginia Tech (2X), Miami, Boston College, Clemson, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Pittsburgh?

For the most part, the Thursdays are a stage for the ACC.

Nothing wrong with the Thursday games, IMO. Atlanta is easy to get to. We get a nationwide audience and tons of exposure. We just need to win when everyone across the country is watching.

JJacket

[ QUOTE ]
It is apparent that Tech seems to be the only major program that continues to play Thursday night games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech plays two Thursdays in a row after ours.

pocket_watch

Dodd-Like

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech plays two Thursdays in a row after ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good to hear. I hope ESPN could sign an exclusive with our conference and do away with the minor conferences for Thursday night games.

law_bee

Dodd-Like

The reason we play Thursday night games is so we can recruit players like Calvin Johnson.

Thursday night games is one of the best recruiting tools GT has available.

The reason UF, UGag, and big schools don't play on Thursday is b/c their 80K fans cannot get to the game. When GT starts putting 80k in the stands then GT will not play on Thursdays either b/c it would cost them too much $$$.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like

The ACC is the only major conference that does it and I think it was obviously done for exposure. I think we should definitely continue doing it. The last time I checked VT, who plays BC and somebody else in consecutive weeks(as someone already mentioned), is a top program. Miami is as well. I'm not sure if they have any Thursday games this year, but I recall FSU playing Clemson on a Thursday night a couple of years back. UM vs. UL was a Thursday game last season.

As lawbee pointed out, they give programs like Tech national exposure since it is the only college football game on at the time. Personally, I like the Thursday night games and to me they just have a different feel about them that sets them apart from the Saturday games. Of course the majority of the games should be played on Saturday but I hope they continue to have one or two games every season on Thursday nights.

C

Crazy4tech

Who gives a rip how many ugag fans show up. If they do, then we need to put them in their place. I remember two years ago a few sat in front of me for 2 quaters. Needless to say they left at the half.

Raise Hell!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif

JacksonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

[ QUOTE ]
The ACC is the only major conference that does it

[/ QUOTE ]Didn't South Carolina open the football season on Thursday night this year? Don't think they're in the ACC.

Not a fan of Tues, Wed, or Fri college games but the Thursday ones are alright with me as long as we only play one per season and alternate home and away. I think the Big East is locked into Fridays for some reason.

GTechsta

Varsity Lurker
Thurs night games...................

So Car
Aub
Virginia
Ole Miss
Notre Dame
Missouri
Florida
Miss St
Nebraska
Va Tech
Ok St.
BC
Fla St.
Clem
TCU
NC St
Arizona
Cal
Arizona St
Ore St.
Kentucky

Yep, if those are some Tier 2 or 3 programs, then I wouldn't mind being one of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif

ThomsonJacket

I don't know

[ QUOTE ]
What is the point? Is it money? Is it yet another way that Braine can prostitute the football program and its fans for a buck?....Probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to this article (Click) this is the 13th year GT has played a Thursday night game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif