Wow - hows this for an unbiased comment

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
I was just over at one of the Duke boards, and one of the dukies had apparently attended the F$U game, and said that he couldn't believe the non-interference calls and the fumble by the F$U player while scoring......Interesting to hear this from someone with no horse in the race....

Question: I missed this controversial no-call regarding one of the FSU TDs (was there a fumble near the endzone ? ) Could someone enlighten me as to what happened ?

As the F$U dude got down to the goal line the ball fell out of his hands and trickled out of the end zone (I think it was the 3rd TD they scored). The ref said he'd crossed the goal line with possession of the ball. It was close, but I thought the ball slipped out before it crossed the plain. IMO, it could have been called either way. If it goes their way, it's a TD. If it goes our way, it's a touchback and we have the ball. It went their way, like everything questionable in this game. The bad thing is that every close call (and every bad call) went against us.

I tivo'd the game, and unfortunately, he did cross the plane with the ball in his possession from the replays I saw.

I think all those calls were close and could go either way. I'm not sure you'd ever get a consensus opinion on how they should have gone no matter who you ask. On the pass interference calls, I honestly believe that if we had shown the ability to consistently throw the good balls down the sidelines, then we would have gotten a few more calls. But since we were slightly erratic with the throws that we weren't given the benefit of the doubt. Similar to a good pitcher getting a wider strike zone. In addition, if we had attempted to throw those passes on deep post routes rather than fly patterns, I think we would have gotten more calls as well since the refs tend to allow more contact on the sidelines.

While a couple of the calls were bad, I don't think the refs cost us this game. We cost us this game by making too many mistakes.

Back