Yesterday was Bobby Dodd"s birthday

georgytech

Varsity Lurker

I am old enough to have seen Bobby Dodd walk onto Grant Field behind the Tech team. He wore a hat, a blue blazer, a gold tie, a white shirt, grey pants, white socks, and black shoes. It looked to me like his feet never touched the ground. I saw him start a second half against Texas A+M by kicking two or three onside kicks in a row, recovering each one, and scoring a touchdown after every one. I heard later that the Texas A+M coach had said something unflattering about Tech. He was offered oil wells to become the head coach at a big Texas school. After he retired as coach, he came to the Columbus Georgia Tech club with Coach Curry, and I got to meet him. He was friendly and always smiling. His favorite fight song was "Up With the White and Gold." Dodd once said he would stay at Tech as long as no Tech fan complained about his coaching. Nobody ever did.

No--but I do have brand new winter beard--will that count? I guess you could call it a hair lip (lisp)?

I am old enough to have seen Bobby Dodd walk onto Grant Field behind the Tech team. He wore a hat, a blue blazer, a gold tie, a white shirt, grey pants, white socks, and black shoes. It looked to me like his feet never touched the ground. I saw him start a second half against Texas A+M by kicking two or three onside kicks in a row, recovering each one, and scoring a touchdown after every one. I heard later that the Texas A+M coach had said something unflattering about Tech. He was offered oil wells to become the head coach at a big Texas school. After he retired as coach, he came to the Columbus Georgia Tech club with Coach Curry, and I got to meet him. He was friendly and always smiling. His favorite fight song was "Up With the White and Gold." Dodd once said he would stay at Tech as long as no Tech fan complained about his coaching. Nobody ever did.
Very well said. He is my all time sports hero!

This is a true story. The other coach was Gene Stallings. He was on Bear’s staff in 1962 when Dodd beat them and snapped their win streak. In the summer prior to the 1966 game, Stallings ran his mouth that Dodd didn’t emphasize toughness enough and his players weren’t shaped by brutal practices (Stallings was one of Bear’s Junction Boys).
Rarely did anything get under Dodd’s skin, but Stallings pissed him off.
Dodd let it be known to his players he really wanted to teach Stallings and Texas A&M a lesson. Tech scored in the last minute to go up 31-3. Dodd then did another successful onside kick. Immediately after, Larry Good hit John Sias with a bomb for a TD, and the game ended 38-3. At midfield after the game, it was reported that Dodd shook Stallings’ hand, and told him he was gonna take his soft players across the street to the Varsity. Love it!

Back