YOOOO...I got an idea>>>

MoverofFridge2

Helluva Engineer
If you want to try and keep CJ from being double and triple covered, put him in motion prior to the snap. Correct me if I am wrong, but not one time the other night did I see us put CJ in motion.

IMO, when you put a WR in motion it forces the secondary to move and react. NOW, you can still double cover, but it is much more difficult when CJ or any receiver, for that matter, is moving. Having a DB chase him across the formation, is much better than just letting CJ sit there and get abnged on the line of scrimmage.

DAMN, I just hate having this talent and not getting the ball in his hands at a minimum of 15 times per game. Just my opinion though.

GO JACKETS!! BUST THEIR ARSE!!

Re: YOOOO...I got an idea>>>PUT CALVIN IN MOTION

Amen to that. Did you notice how many times Smarzmananan went in motion for ND? Almost every play. Seemed to me that it made their screen play pick up 7-8 yds every time.

I wonder the same thing about Calvin- even though we made the first step of putting him in different positions slot, wide-out etc, why not try motion? If anything, maybe it would help free up J Johnson.

And by the way, why did Greg Smith not get any other chances for a touch? He caught the only one thrown to him for a nice gain- if the guys out there can't do it, give someone else a chance. In our paper this week, Steve Spurrier was quoted as saying WTTE 'some of our guys will get better, some are playing as best they can...we'll still love em, but we will let someone else try their position if we think they can do better....

That's a good idea - but last Saturday, ND pretty much single covered CJ the majority of the night. Don't know why we didn't take advantage of it more.

My impression was ND had Calvin in man coverage, and was zone elsewhere, meaning if Calvin was thrown to in a zone he'd be doubled, but they weren't always doubling him. If that made sense.

We don't ever put anyone in motion. Not just CJ, anyone. I think it might have something to do with our inability to convert drives once they get in long yardage situations, and our history of getting procedure penalties when trying to be too fancy.

Wait, I take it back. I remember a fullback motioning out of the backfield in a game last year and catching a TD pass. Can't remember which game.

MoverofFridge2 said:
If you want to try and keep CJ from being double and triple covered, put him in motion prior to the snap. Correct me if I am wrong, but not one time the other night did I see us put CJ in motion.

IMO, when you put a WR in motion it forces the secondary to move and react. NOW, you can still double cover, but it is much more difficult when CJ or any receiver, for that matter, is moving. Having a DB chase him across the formation, is much better than just letting CJ sit there and get abnged on the line of scrimmage.

DAMN, I just hate having this talent and not getting the ball in his hands at a minimum of 15 times per game. Just my opinion though.

GO JACKETS!! BUST THEIR ARSE!!
That is honestly a good idea, if you are really serious in your idea you should think about calling in to the Chan Gailey show this Thursday and ask about putting CJ in motion on pass plays.

beej67 said:
My impression was ND had Calvin in man coverage, and was zone elsewhere, meaning if Calvin was thrown to in a zone he'd be doubled, but they weren't always doubling him. If that made sense.

That's essentially correct. After the first quarter or so there was deep help on Calvin. The CB played tighter at the LOS, knowing that if he lost a step or two on Calvin he had deep help. Putting Calvin in motion would not have changed anything.

Motion would be more likely to help if we could confuse defensive coverage with it, but that won't happen until we get another WR threat, and no one has stepped up. Hopefully one of the young guys will make that leap over the next two weeks.

Better OL play would also free up the TE and/or a back out of the backfield as a receiver, and give more time for the QB reads. That's not happening either, but maybe it will. They were also able to gamble on the deep help because the OL could not establish a running game. The biggest risk we posed was that Reggie might get past a safety on a QB draw.

TechGator1066 said:
That is honestly a good idea, if you are really serious in your idea you should think about calling in to the Chan Gailey show this Thursday and ask about putting CJ in motion on pass plays.

I believe this year no calls are allowed, only emails. And even if they did allow calls, a comment like this, which questions the strategy that was used, would be likely to provoke an angry, agitated response from Gailey, and Wes would quickly have to move on to another topic to avoid an ugly scene on air.

Jacketup, I agree with you completely. If our OL is so bad that we have to keep both the TE and the RB in for help, then we are in for a long season.

I'd rather see us run the friggin option every play then RB running the draw. At least then half the time your runningback is taking the hits.

It's unfortunate that our OL just can't seem to put the weight on. Gardner and Rhodes are small, while McManus and Tums have been hurt and Wrotto is inexperienced. There's just not enough strength on either side.

I'm hoping that the right side will get over injuries and start playing better together and become a force. Then we can run straight ahead a little, establish the run, and then we'll be okay.

Isn't Gardner close to 300# now? I know his brother fairly well and said he was weighing in at 290 in late spring/early summer, and the kid has put on some muscle since then.

techfowl said:
That's a good idea - but last Saturday, ND pretty much single covered CJ the majority of the night. Don't know why we didn't take advantage of it more.

Fowl,

Putting CJ or an receiver in motion will make you chase him IF they are playing man-to-man. If they are in zone coverage they will let him pass the formation and adjust the secondary as he crosses in motion.

It is actually a very very simple concept. If they are playing zone defense, then THERE will be a vacant gap to settle in to make the catch. If they are in man then he can use motion to run away from the coverage, and if they are in a combo style coverage find the hole and occupy it with another receiver when that hole is vacated.

Simple A** football IMO

I have a question about our other receivers. We keep talking about someone else stepping up. But don't we have to actually throw to someone else to give them a chance to step up? Are we saying that our other receivers couldn't get open or did we not call plays for them? Or is Reggie locking in on CJ and not looking elsewhere?

Seems like one of those chicken and egg kinds of things. I mean, if we decide now to throw 8 balls to our slot receiver next Sat and 8 to the "other" WR then we'll see what they can do, right? I mean, how do you step up if they won't throw to you?

beej67 said:
We don't ever put anyone in motion. Not just CJ, anyone.

Except for when we put two people in motion.

Our other receivers need to step it up a notch. They know that they are only going to be single covered. One of those guys needs to have a breakout season (as opposed to a breakout game like Bilbo last season).

MoverofFridge2 said:
IMO, when you put a WR in motion it forces the secondary to move and react.

We cannot do that. Motion causes confusion to our QB and coaches. When in the Gailey era have you seen us go into motion on a pass play? Hardly Ever. I can remember the number of times on one hand that we did this. The majority of the times we run motion plays, we hand off to the RB. Because mentally, this seems all we are capable of handling.

Our coaches call offensive games and design offensive schemes like they are playing a game of checkers.

Motion causes confusion to our QB and coaches??????

Then "motion" must be one of those newfangled football ideas that our hc has time to study up on, now that he no longer has the burden of game play calling like he has in the past (at which time our named oc was just the 2 minute oc - it really does get confusing, dosen't it - for example).

Happy days will be here again, but who knows when.

:laugher:

But seriously I think its a good idea to put him in motion or do trips to one side and use some trickery to get him free.

BarrelORum said:
The majority of the times we run motion plays, we hand off to the RB.

This is so true. I wonder if other teams have picked up on this. If I was an opposing DC, I would tell my guys that if someone goes into motion towards the OL that it was going to be a run close to 100% of the time.

Back