You Can Go to the Bank on This One

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
If a team says they have suspensions or injuries then we lose every time. And it's our fans fault as much as anything. Everyone on the Boards was proclaiming victory just because a couple of players were out. When are you people going to learn that you have to ignore that stuff?

It doesnt matter how the fans feel about a game as long as they're loud in the stadium and pat our players on the back when we see them. If you thnk that because fans think we have a good chance at winning affects how the team prepares/plays, I believe you are mistaken.

I do however, believe its a shame that we couldn't take advantage of the fact that their 3rd string nose guard was playing, and that their safety hadn't played a down before last week at temple.

Go down to the Needaqb post. Reggie's terrible most of the time, let's move on.

I do disagree with you on the emotional aspect of playing a team perceived to be weaker than usual. I felt our team was primed to beat a fully functioning UVA. You can often just sense it with a team. Then the news came. IT is difficult to put it out of your head, particularly when you are just a college kid, like our players are.

That same day, I went down to play a good golf match on a good course. I ended up playing a player two shots worse than me on our easier course. I was poorly motivated and ended up getting my ass kicked. My fault but it does happen. And while it was happening I kept trying to get myself going but I just wasn't playing who I had mentally prepared for. It's tough folks and for college players, what they hear, what they feel on campus (and here) does matter. And it showed.

We are now about 0-10 over the last ten years when this type of thing happens. Remember how convinced we were that Bowden purposely did it.

[ QUOTE ]
And it's our fans fault as much as anything. Everyone on the Boards was proclaiming victory just because a couple of players were out. When are you people going to learn that you have to ignore that stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hugelaugh.gif

You better be kidding, because if you are not, then you need to step away from your computer and take a serious look at reality.

I'll call BS on that one.

Link to one post that said WTTE "we will win because of the suspensions". Most of what I saw said something along the lines of we better ignore this because teams often play well when something like this happens.

I stand by what I say. I think it's just as unbelievable that you don't believe that emotions and how players feel about games play a part in sports.

You don't believe that the players sense something different on YJA before a Wake game (500 people) and a UGA game (5,000 people)? Although you and I are going at it all the time now, can you not accept that? Emotions are everything in sports. And those emotions are generated from a whole lot more than just yourself (the athlete). Now the older we get the better we are at turning our emotions into positive forces, but at 19 years old they're still learning.

Nobody here seemed to disbelieve that UVA could or would be more focused or motivated when their teammates were suspended were they? There is no difference. Emotions matter and no more so than in college athletics.

[ QUOTE ]
Emotions matter and no more so than in college athletics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really disagreeing, but sometimes I question the team's (coaches certainly included) mental toughness. I know that's a cliche'. Whatever you want to call it, it seems to diminish as the season progresses.

This post makes me think of the auc piece on Hargrave Acadamy yesterday.
I found the piece interesting, and now admit that I need to give that place more respect. Maybe not academically, but certainly from a discipline point of view.

They play 9 of 11 games on the road. Maybe its because they don't have a decent stadium, but I liked the reason given: to get the players use to excelling in an unfriendly environment.

I think YJA is great, and I wish 10,000 showed up for it. However, I think its silly for any fan to take credit or accept blame for the performance of a football team.

My best guess on the mental toughness thing, which I agree with you on, is that at Tech the whole process is such a grind that maybe it wears on the players. Football is enough but throw in real coursework and maybe it just wears them down a bit.

[ QUOTE ]
Football is enough but throw in real coursework and maybe it just wears them down a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be. However, I would like to think that the grind of the classroom bleeds into mental toughness on the field.
Maybe it does, and we are that much undermanned. Serious.

Every football game Saturday, I used to sleep in til about 11:45. Shower, drive to Greenes real quickly, and then walk to the game with my friends. (2:00 games back then) Anyway, I slept a lot on the weekend to catch up. I was tired so my guess is that they get tired and little catch up time.

Friday nights before the games are the best nights of sleep a player gets in the fall.

Back