You Chan-bashers can't have your cake and eat it, too

tigger101023

Varsity Lurker
You Chan-bashers can\'t have your cake and eat it, too

Last year, our underperformace started at the top with Gailey, but so does this year's exceptional effort. You can't blame him for the team quitting last year without giving Gailey props for our effort this year. They both go hand-in-hand and come from the same place. All I asked for this year was that we played hard, never gave up, and got better with every game. We are getting that, even if we didn't come away with the win.

I will agree that hindsight is 20-20 and I sure wish the F$U game ended differently, but there was sound logic in most decisions, even if, in hindsight, there could have been a better choice. It happens to everyone: to Rev Richt, to Saint Bobby, to everyone. I'm not even sure they were poor decisions, it just didn't work...

Re: You Chan-bashers can\'t have your cake and eat it, too

Originally posted by GT tuba-dammitt:
Last year, our underperformace started at the top with Gailey, but so does this year's exceptional effort. You can't blame him for the team quitting last year without giving Gailey props for our effort this year. They both go hand-in-hand and come from the same place. All I asked for this year was that we played hard, never gave up, and got better with every game. We are getting that, even if we didn't come away with the win.

I will agree that hindsight is 20-20 and I sure with the F$U game ended differently, but there was sound logic in most decisions, even if, in hindsight, there could have been a better choice. It happens to everyone: to Rev Richt, to Saint Bobby, to everyone. I'm not even sure they were poor decisions, it just didn't work...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good Post, although a lot of people put the blame on Billy O'Brien last year remember

Gnome.. I think he was referring to those on this board.. and if you read thru the posts over the past 9 months I think you will see where he is coming from..

GT.. you are right.. but the problem with the negative posters are many.. first and foremost, its all about "feeling"... they made up their mind from day one to "not like" Gailey.. notice how many times this is stated in posts.. in addition, they are looking for anything to be negative about..

but the biggest.. They dont know a damn thing about the game of football.. it is clearly evident in their posts and it is cemented even further when you look at the threads in which they participate and those they choose to avoid.. many like to talk about their "X and O" knowledge.. but they wouldnt know a zone blitz if it was gift wrapped.. and they "carefully" avoid answering ANY direct questions as it relates to the "x's and o's"...

As Adam Sandler once said, what good is a cake you can't eat?

and Bobby Dylan said, "but people
got lots of forks and knives, and
they gotta cut something"

The Can-Chan Crusaders Continue the March into Delusion

I never made up my mind to not like Gailey when he was first hired. I think that would be ludicrous to not give the coach a chance. I became negative on Chan when we got shellacked by UGA, lost to Fresno when they had lost ~7 of their starters the week before, and 10 of our guys needlessly failed out of school. I think most of the negative posters here feel the same way.

HOwever, I will give Chan credit for this year SO FAR. This team is a 180 degree turnaround from last year. I hope the team and Chan can keep this up. Now if he can only convince the players we need to come to school here, my respect for Gailey would improve drastically.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
Gnome.. I think he was referring to those on this board.. and if you read thru the posts over the past 9 months I think you will see where he is coming from..

GT.. you are right.. but the problem with the negative posters are many.. first and foremost, its all about "feeling"... they made up their mind from day one to "not like" Gailey.. notice how many times this is stated in posts.. in addition, they are looking for anything to be negative about..

but the biggest.. They dont know a damn thing about the game of football.. it is clearly evident in their posts and it is cemented even further when you look at the threads in which they participate and those they choose to avoid.. many like to talk about their "X and O" knowledge.. but they wouldnt know a zone blitz if it was gift wrapped.. and they "carefully" avoid answering ANY direct questions as it relates to the "x's and o's"...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Respectfully, Lets talk X's and O's...I don't want to change a thing about what our defense is doing. On Offense we need serious reevaluation if we are to have a shot at N.C. State, Wake Forest and especially Georgia. Lets discuss what we are not doing...everything is still wrapped in pure vanilla, most notably in the 2nd half of our losses, games that we had the lead at the half. There is so much missing from our offensive packages....where would you want to start. I am perfectly willing to engage anyone in a discussion about the X's and O's but it is hard to discuss strategy without bringing up the coaches and their tendencies in certain situations. For instance, do we run a 2 mimute drill? It should be noted that Reggie Ball has had difficulty running a 2 minute offense...I KNOW HE IS A FRESHMAN!...I have to admit it but Reggie has had no more success in bringing us from behind than AJ Suggs had. Do you have an opinion on what we can do to improve since it is a little too much to hope we can always jump out on top and then hope to hang on.

I am very surprised at the effort so far this season. I was one of the Chan bashers, because quite honestly I feel mamy of our woes are correctly laid at his feet. I feel much better about the offense, and trust he will continue to "open" it up as Reggie gains game experience.As I've said before, I'll gladly eat my words if Chan takes us back to the where we were in '98-01 and beyond. What remains my biggest concern and it rests with both CG and the Hill, is our recruiting efforts. As I watch with much pride and sheer amazement at the likes of Key Fox, D. Smith and J. Smith, I wonder if we would have even recruited these type kids--high-level, in-state kids under the current regime.

GATA JACKETS!!!

I've got a bad feeling that we're seeing the last of Jon Tenuta on defense. What will all the coaching vacancies that are bound to come open at the end of this season I'm sure he will get an offer or two. He should be able to double his salary. I think we'll be okay with Spencer but Tenuta should be a hot commodity on the coaching carousel.

I was furious after the game on Saturday, but I got over it. H-town, I won't lie to you. I was definitely more of a Chan-basher coming into the season than I am now. But I (like you), am willing to keep an open mind. If I see improvement, I give credit to the coaches, if I see a disaster, I give credit to the coaches.

I see some fonts crying about how losing is unacceptable. Wow, isn't it nice that the world's so black and white? Better fire Larry Coker and Bob Stoops, they have lost a couple games and losing is unacceptable. Heaven forbid your child try their very best and not make the first string team or not get an A in a class. Your best isn't good enough, losing is unacceptable.

There was no logical reason for us to be a contender in this last game. But we were anyway. Why? Drive, emotion, desire. We wore down, it happens. Maybe the playcalling could be better, but the coach is still learning his personnel. He is obviously motivating the players better than last year and helping them to maximize playmaking. And I dare anyone of you to go up the players and tell them that their 110% wasn't good enough...

I think it goes back to the Bobby Dodd quote that BOR posted. Winning attitude and winning tradition are more important to me than actual wins, because we will win a lot of games if we have those intangibles. If we are capable of winning virually every game and play like it, that's good enough for me. Losing is unacceptable is silly, IMHO. Of course the players and fans should hate losing, but accepting a game loss is something that you must do before the next game, and is completely different than accepting losing as the status quo. I refuse to accept losing as the status quo, but if the players were like you and losing is unacceptable, they would fall apart the rest of season. Learn from your mistakes and move on. If you think that attitude means I am accepting mediocre, then that's your problem. If the #2 team loses by 1 pt to the #1 team, does that mean that #2 team is now mediocre because they lost?!?!?! No,it just means that, at the end of the game, the #1 team was a bit better. It doesn't mean that anyone screwed up, or sucks, or needs to get canned.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
I have to admit it but Reggie has had no more success in bringing us from behind than AJ Suggs had.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Nice comparison - AJ had 4+ D1 years to learn how to run a 2:00 offense prior to last year and how did it work out for him? 0-5, IIRC - 0-2 against Clemson, 0-2 against Wake, and 0-1 against F$U.

Reggie Ball had 2 chances against F$U (@Doak, nonetheless) and failed. This is after a whopping total of 2 games and 30-something practices. If you pull him, this is what happens:

A) You're giving him a vote of no confidence
B) Taking away valuable experience - he needs to have the ball in those situations. I'm confident he has learned from being there and a future 2:00 offense at BDS@HGF will be a cakewalk compared to Sat. night.
C) We lose anyway - there's ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY no way Suggs gets away from the F$U defenders that Reggie was running from. If you put Suggs in, you might as well hang a Target sandwich board over him.

I'm somewhat surprised that people are still blaming BOB for last year's offense. After Hollings went down, he was left in a similar situation as this year's team. We were about the same at running back, better at receiver and, IMO, worse at quarterback. Without Suggs' missing half the underneath throws and with Ball's deep threat ability, I'd say BOB's offense would have been much better.

I personally think that this year's low point totals are, in part, a change in the philosophy of what our team is. I think that the idea is now that we are a defensive team and that the offense needs to do just enough not to lose. Think of classic Alabama for your paradigm.

The reason I went from an anti-Gailey man to a pro-Gailey man is the defense. There was no reason to think that our defense could be good given all the key losses. It is quite remarkable that we are talking about wins we should have had with point totals under 20. It is going to take some getting used to for me. I haven't had too many good "will the defense hold them." experiences. But, in time we'll get comfortable with it.

Oh, and how has Tenuta taught guys to tackle where Roof couldn't? I'm no football expert, but it always seemed like Roof put the players in the right place only to have them run through a tackle.

Back