You want easy majors, here are your easy majors...

GTg8r

Varsity Lurker
from from the Main Institute web page

Economics
BS: Economics
International Affairs
BS: International Affairs & Modern Language
BS: International Affairs

Public Policy
BS: Public Policy

PhD: Public Policy
History, Technology, & Society
BS: History, Technology & Society

Literature, Communication & Culture
BS: Science, Technology & Culture

Modern Languages
BS: International Affairs & Modern Language

All of your barking about classes at Ga. State and kids don't wanna be Engineers can now see there is quite a bit for people to Take that is math -light .

The single bigget problem is that the GTAA does not do a great job of pushing male athletes towards this area. Partially, because our athletes have been Commerce, Industrial Mgt., and Management.

However, significant portions of our female athletes are STAC, INTA, and HTS.

For those of you who saw the Tech grads on the cover of Tech Topics a few weeks ago. One was an HTS, the other was a PubP double major with MGT.

The course are there, we're not doing a good job prodding our students into those fields.

Discuss amongst yourselves, or keep trying to run a mini-SEC program.

Don't know how easy econ is but you make a good point about some of the other majors available. Do those all have the dreaded calculus requirement?

These should be Math for Management..not Calc1-5 + difficult equations.

I can check...but Notre Dame requires calculus for its students as well.

Rise up and walk.

HTS
Math 1501 and Math 1502 Calculus I and Calculus II, or
Math 1711 and Math 1712 Survey of Calculus and Finite Mathematics

ECON
Same as above
STAC
same as above
PubP
same as above
INTA
same as above

Math 1501-2 is Eng. Sci Math requirement
Math 1711-2 is what used to be Math for Management.
When is I was in school...the overlap would have beeen Math 1711 Math1712=Math 1501 Math 1502

Yes, everybody takes calculus, but some calculus is more calculus than others.

Math for Management still requires that you know derivatives and integration. Its not Engineering Calculus but it is certainly more demanding than the math requirements for most business degrees

Math for Management still requires that you know derivatives and intergration. Its not Engineering Calculus but it is certainly more demanding than the math requirements for most business degrees

I don't think it is a matter of the GTAA not pushing the athletes into these majors. I don't think any of those appeal to the athletes not to mention the lack of jobs if they don't make it to the next level.

The reason managment appeals to them is because it allows them to embark on a varied amount of careers after college. Those majors don't.

Originally posted by GTPilot:
I don't think it is a matter of the GTAA not pushing the athletes into these majors. I don't think any of those appeal to the athletes not to mention the lack of jobs if they don't make it to the next level.

The reason managment appeals to them is because it allows them to embark on a varied amount of careers after college. Those majors don't.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Nope,

Pilot...

This year one of Kentucky's baseball seniors was interviewed. He chose Kentucky because they would let him major in Mechanical Engineering.
He was quoted as saying "Georgia Tech wouldn't let me do that. They said go to management. That's where we put all our athletes."

If I can find the article I will link it.

i know for fact that tony hollings was doing his BS in history and technology.

we discussed that over a beer at AFRs tailgate.

I think Mr. Kentucky senior wasn't talented enough to go to Tech to play BB. Sounds like some sour grapes.
Reminds me of all the football out of HS that put that they are considering ND, FSU, Miami etc... and then end up in South Carolina or Arkansas.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
i know for fact that tony hollings was doing his BS in history and technology.

we discussed that over a beer at AFRs tailgate.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bonus!!
That's the sea change we need.
The issue then goes back to what kind of support he was getting.

Easy?

None of those are even remotely "easier" than the M-train.

Econ is hardly 'math-light", particularly in the upper level courses.

But what you are really missing is the types of professors in schools like HST and LCC. These are not the types to welcome male athletes, especially football players, into their own little liberal-arts fantasy world. Carol Moore is one of 'em, what does that tell you? Read some of the faculty profiles - it's enough to scare you. This is not your Daddy's Georgia Tech.

GTPilot you hit the nail on the head and it is what gets me most upset about college scholarship athletics and the supposed equality of an education for the right to play 'amateur' ball for our schools.... point is this
Most SA's are offered bogus degrees that aren't worth squat in the real world... universities and the NCAA make tons of money from SA's while giving little or nothing in return.... and we all sit around and wailing and wringing our hands when this SA or that SA leaves early or sells their lousy little ring... the entire system is built around an early 20th century concept that a college education was really worth something... well back then it was... currently too many BA degrees in liberal arts aren't worth the pigskin their written on...
just my .02$...

To Hell with Georgia ... and to hell with Liberal Arts majors...

tongue.gif
I feel so much better now...

Originally posted by wreckless:
But what you are really missing is the types of professors in schools like HST and LCC. These are not the types to welcome male athletes, especially football players, into their own little liberal-arts fantasy world. Carol Moore is one of 'em, what does that tell you? Read some of the faculty profiles - it's enough to scare you. This is not your Daddy's Georgia Tech.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's true. Some of those professors that wreckless speaks of -- especially some in the LCC department -- are pseudointellectuals that scoff at trite matters such as this game we call football. Sports are for the weak-minded. I think athletes get a harder time from certain English professors than they do from math professors.

As sexist as this sounds, almost any class in LCC with a title or alternate title that includes "women" in it is basically going to be a semester long man-hating rant by the professor.

i've heard that all of those majors also require that stupid CS course that everyone 'cooporated' in a few years ago. I don't know of anything more backwards than requiring a public policy major to take a CS course.

Yes, CS 1321 is an institute core curriculum requirement. It's a rather superfluous class, to say the least.

CS is the worst thing I have ever done in my life. I wish I could forget about that entire semester.

For those of us whose tenure w/ GT goes back to the days of courses titled Data Processing and in which we learned to keypunch paper cards(!), just what the hell is CS 1321?

Btw, at Christmas the Registrar's Office sent us a 'Christmas Card' that we could 'fold, spindle, or mutilate!'

You guys don't know how sweet it is now!

drinking.gif

Notre Dame does not require Calculus for its Liberal Arts majors.

Georgia Tech and the Academies are the only Div 1A football schools that do require Calculus from ALL their students.

Back