Your opinions on T-day?

gsu_paintballer

Dodd-Like
What do you think? I don't ever put much stock in these things, especially in a situation such as ours.

You?

Didn't watch the scrimmage but posted in another thread that the defense is going to be ahead of the offense at this stage especially trying to implement a new offensive scheme.

I just pulled this from Fox 5's sports page.

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson, aware there are some fans who have doubts about his option offense, could have let his starters put up big numbers against backups in Saturday’s T-Day spring game.

Instead, Johnson had the first-team offense wear white jerseys and line up against the starting defense, wearing blue. The defense had the advantage in the Blue team’s 24-7 win at Bobby Dodd Stadium.

Quarterback Josh Nesbitt fumbled on the first snap for the White team, setting the pace for the often sloppy play in the first public showing of the new spread option offense installed by Johnson, the first-year coach.

Johnson said he designed the intrasquad scrimmage to help his team prepare for the 2008 season.

Again as I said in the earlier thread....'relax'. The Corvette wasn't built in 4 weeks.:D

I agree. A couple of friends from other schools asked me how we looked at the spring game. I told them, "We look like we've been running the option for four weeks."

1. Nesbitt was not ready
2. The Defense was more than ready... seen this offense over and over.... Besides being very fast.... Man Brad Jefferson has got some wheels.....
3. Would have been interesting to see Bryce Dykes run the number 1 offense to see if they would have been any more efficient as Nesbitt was obviously not ready yet for game speed action
4. Interesting to see how much more composed Booker was passing than Nesbitt.... Made a deference he was working against the second string defense though.....
5. Offense really showed what can happen when passing is added in. Once the defense is forced to take 8 men out of the box, the run opens up. Same thing happens conversely....
6. This fall will be very exciting, or very frustrating... I don't think there will be any in between.

I agree. A couple of friends from other schools asked me how we looked at the spring game. I told them, "We look like we've been running the option for four weeks."

I think Nesbit has been running the option for 2.5 weeks. I think the spring game would have gone a little more smoothly had he practiced live the past week and a half.

Don't forget that this is the offense that the defense has been practicing/scrimmaging against. Everyone else will get less than a week of that kind of preparation, even as our offense evolves.

I think Nesbit has been running the option for 2.5 weeks. I think the spring game would have gone a little more smoothly had he practiced live the past week and a half.

Yeah, good call. I left the scrimmage not worried at all. The only thing that has me a little uneasy is the OL, but that should come around as injuries heal. Also, let's remember, they've been introduced to a completely new style of blocking, so that might take some time to come together.

Don't forget that this is the offense that the defense has been practicing/scrimmaging against. Everyone else will get less than a week of that kind of preparation, even as our offense evolves.

Georgia will get two weeks.

Optimistic, Glass is Half Full.

Be honest with you, I have been testing the triple option on my college football ps2 game (yes, I am a nerd). Basically, at the beginning of the game, switch the qb from #13 to #14 ( I think this is Nesbitt with the wrong number).

On the heisman level, when you run into a team with a great D-Line, it is very hard to get the plays off when you are faking to the fullback, spinning on a counter or using Play action, if they are applying any blitzing or pressure, but its possible if you run it properly (no fumbling the snaps, clean handoffs, great and quick decision making). You just have to mix up the playcalling with passes enough to where the D has to think about more than the dive, or option. Once you can establish this, its a great offense. (Saturday, we did not have our Offensive Genius calling the plays to mix it up at a high level.)

Problem on Saturday was that we got off to such a slow start, we were kind of behind the 8-ball. The O needs to work on what they need to work on. Problem is that we have a great D Line.

I think that when we have the full team on one side, our depth is better than we have seen in the past, and we are YOUNG, as a team which may be difficult this year, but watch out next year.

The 1st Team D is very good. Remember, Defense wins championships. This is a great position to be in. The 1st team O has playmakers, but we need to tweak and tweak some more to find the right play calling mix for our talent. Blocking schemes might be the most important area we need to concentrate on, but remember we had two O lines on Saturday on different teams that can help out this fall.

Lastly, the QB position will make or break you, but I guess that can be said for all offensive systems. How good would Hawaii have been last year without their QB? Its too early to be throwing anyone under the bus, but I like our depth at QB, and we have some different styles we can throw in there if we need to....Nesbitt, Booker, Dykes,,,

I can't wait to watch this team grow and start kicking some serious arse!!

THe DEF sees this off every day--
SUPPOSEDLY the offense has the same options vs the def EVERY play so the having the def "know the plays" should be bogus.otoh-they would know the PLAYERS and what their tendencies would be.
The offense should have looked better if the offense was "MAGIC"

It will take some time for the offense to come up to speed where the 3-0 is 'second nature'. I did notice one play from the highlights where one QB handed to the dive back who got stuffed. The QB turned his head looking AND waiting for the back. This is a problem. The dive back should have been there faster and the QB should have his eyes on the DE reading the play and deciding whether to hand off or keep the ball.

CPJ will fix all this over time.

What is he even trying to say?
Don't question the expert. He is able to correctly assess a football team or player without seeing them and do so in the most unintelligible manner possible. He's an oracle, really. We just haven't found the priest needed to translate his visions.

THe DEF sees this off every day--
SUPPOSEDLY the offense has the same options vs the def EVERY play so the having the def "know the plays" should be bogus.otoh-they would know the PLAYERS and what their tendencies would be.
The offense should have looked better if the offense was "MAGIC"
Que?

Back